Setup & Software Discussions
2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [8th,4C,A] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + ...

2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [8th,4C,A] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @steven_wicks

@exaudium I imagine they would, here’s an update, I got the build working, even got macOS working pretty well on it.  For a while I had my UA Apollo and satellite working, but I couldn’t get my Thunderbolt Display to turn on so I tried the alpine ridge and the display started working.  Well, fast forward a month and I couldn’t boot into windows cause somehow the boot manager ended up on another drive that I formatted.  So I got windows reinstalled but now I can’t seem to get windows to see the universal audio gear.  I have both the alpine ridge and the titan ridge installed.  Should try to swap the cards in different slots.  My gigabyte designare bios doesn’t have any settings for thunderbolt, read elsewhere that people found a force power option on auros boards.  So I’d say see if the mobo you buy has a thunderbolt option in the bios.  There is a list of officially supported boards.  I didn’t buy one thinking that the titan would work on it’s own.  And it did before.  Dunno why it’s not working now, any suggestions are welcomed.  

@esatamacmodular Got macOS working, still struggling with thunderbolt though, had it working for a bit a month ago but now it’s not showing up in Windows 

Are you using the Gigabyte X399 Designare motherboard? If the THB_C header on this board doesn’t provide any actual control over the TB3 AIC, you can disconnect the cable end on the motherboard and jump pin-3 to pin-5. Check and see if that helps with force power. I’ve also found GC-Alpine-Ridge is better suited for Thunderbolt monitor output vs. GC-Titan-Ridge.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

@itsage

Yeah it’s x399 designare, have you tried jumping the pins on alpine ridge?  When I open the thunderbolt software there are no devices in the chains window, thought it could be software.  The designare has a thb header but no bios options, I’ll try jumping the pins when I get home

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200
Titan ridge thunderbolt AIC

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@steven_wicks I never tried jumping the pins on GC-ALPINE-RIDGE. It needs the support firmware on the motherboard in order to work. The GC-TITAN-RIDGE on the other hand doesn’t care if the motherboard has this support firmware. 

ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

@itsage

Oh okay interesting that it works with the Thunderbolt Display, maybe it’s only sending display port

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200

ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

@itsage

Jumping the pins got the universal audio to show up in the thunderbolt device manager! But the UA software isn’t recognizing it

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@steven_wicks Some devices can work with cold boot but most need warm boot. I typically have to reboot following Thunderbolt device detection for it to be fully functional. 

ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

@itsage

Thanks @itsage, seems like this might be more of a universal audio software problem.  Cause I have to u install and reinstall the software in wi does every boot to get it to recognize it.  Still haven’t had any luck in Mac.  It doesn’t restart properly though, might need to make the custom ssdt for usbinjectall

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@steven_wicks Jumping the pins on the GC ALPINE-RIDGE doesn't work because there's not enough voltage like the GC-TITAN RIDGE.  http://forum.gigabyte.us/post/30646/thread

You can connect 3.3V to the GC-ALPINE RIDGE Force Power pin to get it sort of working (use a pull up resister), but the device is hidden by setting the vendor and product ID to 0xFFFF
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/list-of-intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3-devices/paged/3/#post-43827
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-gigabyte-designare-z390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1995153

Some people have investigated the Alpine Ridge more thoroughly, found some interesting bits, and wrote some of the findings 
https://osy.gitbook.io/hac-mini-guide/details/thunderbolt-3-fix
There's a Power Up section in part two which mentions a register 0x54C that when 0xD is written to it, will eventually cause bit 0 of 0x548 to be set which indicates that it is ready to be used (vendor and product ID will be unhidden). I haven't tried this yet. I would try this in EFI Shell, then boot into Windows to see what happens.
https://osy.gitbook.io/hac-mini-guide/details/thunderbolt-3-fix-part-2

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

@joevt

Awesome, thanks for all the info, that gitbook article is interesting, don’t think I’m familiar enough with acpi patching to attempt it yet, but those options seem promising, I did have a kernel panic a few times trying to boot, sounds like the issue with OS X drivers he talked about.  I’ll update with any results.

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

@itsage

Now that I have a Chopin build, I could possible add in the Titan Ridge AIC also.  How much of the internal case did you have to cut out for the PCIe riser?  Just enough for it to pass through?  Any pictures by chance?

I was looking at my case as I took it apart to do better cable management (instead of just cramming everything on the side of the mobo) and saw that some modification would be needed to pass a riser through.

As this is my "temporary" case until my other SFF case gets in next month, I've already thought about making this another suitable TB3 machine for my eGPU at home...

Any previous tips would help.  Thanks!

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@omardesu From memory I expanded the gap right under PCIe slot to be wide enough for the X16 extension cable to go through. If I was to do it again I would find an x4 entension cable because that’s all we need for the Thunderbolt 3 AIC. It would have been a smaller cut and easier to fold the cable in the space behind.

ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

Just wanted to update real quick, I managed to get Bluetooth and thunderbolt working, all uad devices are showing up and performing as expected.  Sooooooo, Threadripper and thunderbolt/Apollo is possible!!! 
gonna make my life so much easier with big music files.  

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @joevt

There's a Power Up section in part two which mentions a register 0x54C that when 0xD is written to it, will eventually cause bit 0 of 0x548 to be set which indicates that it is ready to be used (vendor and product ID will be unhidden). I haven't tried this yet. I would try this in EFI Shell, then boot into Windows to see what happens.

I did try this ( #460 ) and it works for macOS - I haven't gotten Windows to boot but maybe that's because I installed 64 GB of RAM? The same method should work on a PC. You just have to run the EFI program before each boot.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  2