2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [R2K,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + W...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [R2K,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  7
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Powering the 1st gen LG 5K UltraFine is again going to be a headache with different constraints. I don't believe there's an ITX with dual DP-IN for Thunderbolt 3 monitor output. Therefore an AIC is your only option to achieve 5K. GC-ALPINE-RIDGE inside the Node Lite would be my recommendation since you already have the enclosure.

Are you getting the ASRock X570 ITX/TB3 motherboard? It's currently the only AMD option with on-board Thunderbolt 3 port. Depending on the case you're going with, there might be enough space for an AIC directly in the PCIe slot. My InWin Chopin was too narrow for any card to be installed directly. If you don't plan on an dGPU then Ryzen 5 3400G is currently the best option.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage cheers for the reply! And yeah my monitor is it’s usual bloody headache. 
I don’t think I explained my plan well enough though, I was going to do something I saw Linus do with a mining card (no video outputs). Plan would be to connect the LG to the tb3 port and use windows graphics switching software to run games off the dgpu, but I’m guessing I need a cpu with on board graphics to get any sort of picture in the first place  if that makes sense? Case wise I really like the Louqe Ghost.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The 1st LG 5K UltraFine needs a Thunderbolt 3 connection with dual DisplayPort streams. No ITX motherboard has dual DP-IN so the onboard Thunderbolt 3 port can't produce full 5K resolutions. I don't think an iGPU would send dual DP streams to the TB3 port either. Therefore you're limited to using an AIC.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage

Oh I’m not fussed about 5k, 4K would be fine and to be honest I’d game at a lower res so it shouldn’t be an issue reg lack of dpx2. You’re right about the board I was looking at, it’s not only the only AMD board with tb3 but the only mitx tb3 board with 40gbs. 
I really wish I’d checked my refresh rate and res when I tested it on my old hack with 20gbs. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Colin Babcock
(@colin_babcock)

@steven_wicks

I'm having the same problems with the UAD software recognizing the connected Apollo device via the GC Titan Ridge, what ended up working for you?

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sdgros01
(@sdgros01)

@itsage, On this original build in the Chopin what board is that the B350 Fatal1ty?

I have a B450 in a node 202 that im thinking about transplanting. 

I have the x570 ITX TB3 in a NZXT H1 that I'm still fighting to get to recognize Thunderbolt in macOS, so part of me wants to try an AIC card in another build with the pins jumped to see if it recognizes through post and boot in macOS more consistently than the x570 atm 

2016 MBP Touch: Razer Core X Vega 56-macOS 10.14.3 Windows 10 Eyefinity 2012 MBP: Akitio Node Pro SST-SX650 Noctura Fans GTX-760 Dual Boot 10.14.3 Windows 10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@sdgros01, Yes the motherboard was a Fatal1ty ITX with B350 chipset. The x570 ITX TB3 should be a better option with on-board TB3 controller. Have you updated to the latest BIOS? There are several reports with successfully Thunderbolt 3 eGPU including macOS.

ReplyQuote
sdgros01
(@sdgros01)

Posted by: @itsage

@sdgros01, Yes the motherboard was a Fatal1ty ITX with B350 chipset. The x570 ITX TB3 should be a better option with on-board TB3 controller. Have you updated to the latest BIOS? There are several reports with successfully Thunderbolt 3 eGPU including macOS.

yeah it’s on the latest bios update. It’s strange as I’ve only had a handful of successful boots into macOS with thunderbolt working. On the windows side display output to the Thunderbolt Display works but nothing else does camera speakers etc. If I unplug and reconnect the cable once windows is up and running everything works. But from boot nothing but DisplayPort pass through is working on macOS or Windows.

This post was modified 1 month ago

2016 MBP Touch: Razer Core X Vega 56-macOS 10.14.3 Windows 10 Eyefinity 2012 MBP: Akitio Node Pro SST-SX650 Noctura Fans GTX-760 Dual Boot 10.14.3 Windows 10

ReplyQuote
holdiniopolis
(@holdiniopolis)

@itsage, i have an asus vivobook that uses amd ryzen 5, will this build work for me?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@holdiniopolis, Do you know if your Asus Vivobook has an M.2 NVMe socket? If it does, you can get better performance by using an M.2 eGPU adapter, ADT-Link R43SG. This build described in the OP requires a way to add Thunderbolt 3 to an AMD desktop system. It will not work for your Ryzen 5 laptop.

ReplyQuote
 of  7