2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [R2K,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + W...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [R2K,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  7
  RSS

bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

@itsage

Really interested in getting the LG ultrafine 5k 1st gen working with the Titan ridge AIC on Win10.

I have a ASUS rog maximus xi formula mb and bought the gb Titan ridge aic. I have a EVGA 2080ti with 3dps in PCIe slot 1 and put the AIC in slot 3. Paper clipped pins 3 and 5 like the picture in this thread (and suggested in other forums). Was able to install the gb Titan ridge drivers and the device appears as a Thunderbolt™ Controller 15EB. Used the same tb3 cable tested between MacBook Pro and LG 5k  and ran from AIC to the LG 5k. no luck - no sign of life on monitor or any additional display device recognised in windows.(I'm using the 3rd dp of my graphics card to drive a 1440p monitor).

Tried different combinations of the 3 dp in graphics card to the mini dips of the aic, and both ports of the TB3 but still nothing. 

The DP of the AIC is working since I can get output plugging my 1440p monitor into that.

Any suggestions…?

One other question… I am not planning on needing the usb connection from aic to mb, so didn’t plug that in. I also am not running any additional 6 pin power cables to the Titan ridge aic… as I don't have any spare from my Rm750x - are those needed if I only intend to drive the LG display??

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bigmikeuk, When I tested Thunderbolt 3 monitor output through an AIC, the results weren't always consistent. The monitors would randomly get signal to work. I also found the GC-ALPINE-RIDGE to work better than GC-TITAN-RIDGE for this purpose. I never had the LG UltraFine 5K monitor so I don't know if it needs additional signal from the USB connection to power on.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

@itsage, @joevt

Thanks, I connected the USB2.0 cable to MB, still no luck.  I know that Joevt has posted on multiple forums on the Titan Ridge and LG ultrafine.  Am hoping that he can shed some pearls on this...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@bigmikeuk, I don't have an LG UltraFine 5K to test. Maybe you need to hot plug it (connect it after Windows has started) or not hot plug it (connect it before boot). Can you connect and use a USB 3.x device?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

@joevt,  I was able to connect USB-C devices to the TB ports on the Titan Ridge card - Iphone and USB-C hub with an SD card that I was able to access without problem.  The Iphone was able to charge (I guess through the pcie slot power which i'm assuming is rated at 75w?). 

I have tried the card in slot 2 and slot 3 - I am guessing that slot 2 is direct to the CPU, as in HWinfo64 it is listed as being controlled as Intel Skylake PCI Express x8 Controller, and slot 3 is via the chipset, as it is listed under Intel Cannon Lake PCI Express root port.

No difference whether I plug the usb2 into the MB (but I found the slot, so that is in), or whether I have the pin3 and 5 mod on the tbH (removed it currently).

Neither slots recognise the monitor, but do recognise usb3 devices.  Sadly I do not have another TB3 device to plug in to see if there is a problem with TB3 in win10 (or the card), or if it is because my MB doesn't have a TB3 Header.

I'm a bit lost now because others on forums seem to either have the card working without a TB-H and/or have the ultrafine 5k working beit in 4k or 5k resolutions..

Any suggestions from anyone that has a LG ultrafine 1st gen, Titan ridge and MB without TB-H would be great..

2020 06 30

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@bigmikeuk I have a first gen 5K and have tested the Alpine Ridge add in card in various set ups, it is defo a pain.

IIRC its all about initiation sequence - what fires up first. I'm kinda flying blind as PC's are not my bag but is there something in Bios that determins which PCIe slot gets initiated first (is that even a thing?).

The was a post on Medium about the same set up, let me see if I can dig it out.

FWIW I'm actually using my 5K with a dual boot Hack atm and it works perfectly using an onboard TB3 port connected to a DP in on the mobo (not much help to you, bu8t shows its possible).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

I managed to sort this one out. Working now full 5k, no camera or brightness as per @joevt comments/predictions - can you explain why this is as both mac and AIC both running TB.  Guessing that mac stitches additional data into the TB signal, and the GC TR AIC doesnt have the additional input port to push data in (just has the dp ins).

Anyway, if anyone else is interested - heres the config:

GC Titan ridge AIC bottom pcie slot, USB2 connected, TBH short pins 3 and 5 (although I think that these are actually pins 1 and 3 from the picture in this thread), No power attached.

Latest intel TB drivers and TB Control Center app.

TB cable plugged in the correct port on Monitor (yes, when I was testing different cables when not working, plugged in wrong port by accident!)

Monitor works fine in posting, after sleep etc..  all good!

Windows reporting 5120x2880 60Hz 8bit RGB SDR.. Next thing is to work out why only 8 bit colour instead of 10bit, and a brightness and colour adjustment application..

This post was modified 4 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@bigmikeuk, the GX-TITAN RIDGE needs to be initialized by firmware or software to enable PCIe tunnelling.

Mac firmware/OS only know how to enable Thunderbolt controllers in Macs. Hackintosh users have found ways to enable PC Thunderbolt controllers (including AIC) for Mac OS (they add stuff to SSDT that macOS expects).

When PCIe tunnelling is enabled, the firmware or OS can see PCIe devices on the Thunderbolt bus and allocate PCIe resources to them (bus numbers, memory space, interrupts, etc.) The LG UltraFine 5K has a PCIe USB controller that is connected to the Thunderbolt controller and therefore requires Thunderbolt PCIe tunnelling for the computer to see the USB controller. The USB features of the display (camera, audio, USB ports, brightness control) are connected to that USB controller. Brightness control can also be done using DDC (which uses the DisplayPort connection - whether from Thunderbolt or USB-C) - you can find an app for macOS and Windows to modify brightness using DDC. I'm not sure about color adjustment. If PCIe tunnelling worked, then is there an LG UltraFine 5K Boot Camp driver that can be installed - like for the Apple Pro Display XDR - to control brightness/etc using the Boot Camp control panel?

For my Mac Pro 2008, with no Thunderbolt firmware, the way to connect PCIe devices via Thunderbolt is to do the following:

1) Install GC-TITAN RIDGE AIC with force power jumper
2) Boot Windows with Thunderbolt devices connected (this enables PCIe tunnelling automatically for Titan Ridge but not Alpine Ridge)
3) Warm boot into macOS (PCIe tunnelling is still enabled, so macOS can assign PCIe resources)

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

@joevt, thanks for the explanation.. all makes sense..

ReplyQuote
p0seida
(@p0seida)

Any idea how to get the PCIe tunnelling working with the UltraFine 5K first gen? I cannot figure out how to get audio, camera, etc. working. The display is detected with the TB drivers and TB Control Center app.

LG UltraFine 5K first gen.

Titan Ridge 2.0 (jumper pin 3 and 5)

Tuf x570 plus wifi (without TB3 header)

Ryzen 3900x

RX 5700XT

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
 of  7