2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mindthreat, Glad to hear it's working for your X399M Taichi. It's a great motherboard and the only mATX for Threadripper to date. There are two TB3 ports on the GC-TITAN-RIDGE but they share one x4 PCIe connection through the AIC. If you need more eGPUs, I'd recommend using the x4 M.2 slots. ADT-Link R43SG is a more affordable and faster solution vs TB3.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MINDTHREAT
(@mindthreat)

Posted by: @itsage

@mindthreat, Glad to hear it's working for your X399M Taichi. It's a great motherboard and the only mATX for Threadripper to date. There are two TB3 ports on the GC-TITAN-RIDGE but they share one x4 PCIe connection through the AIC. If you need more eGPUs, I'd recommend using the x4 M.2 slots. ADT-Link R43SG is a more affordable and faster solution vs TB3.

Thanks! I'm only using them for added rendering CUDA cores so hopefully the slower speed will not affect it much,. but my Razer Core finally gets delivered today so I'll get to experiment with that tonight. It was more of a question of curiosity I guess but good to know. I did a lot more digging around regarding EGPUs in general and found a diagram specifically stating that you should only ever have a single eGPU on one port chain anyways (and found another post you made having tested an additional GPU at one point with no success). So as long as I can run the two 2080 Ti externally with the 3080 inside my system, that should be just fine or "enough" - as far as using the M.2 slots, they're occupied for the RAID0 array so that's not an option but it's interesting to know it could have been.

As a side note, you're right about the ASRock board. I was skeptical of the brand after having read a lot of negative things about the brand in general but this board is by far one of the best boards I've owned in the some 25-years I've been building computers. I'm not sure if the prices are going to drop much anytime soon on the 1st/2nd gen Threadrippers but those paired with this board are an amazing value for powerful workstations on a budget.

SpaceTimeContinuumThreadripper 2950X - ASROCK x399m Taichi - 32GB G.Skill - (1) RTX 3080 - (2) RTX 2080 Ti eGPU Razer Core X - 2TB NVMe RAID0 - GB-Titan Ridge TB3

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
MINDTHREAT
(@mindthreat)

itsage

Quick question for you if you don't mind, can you verify your drivers for the Titan Ridge are indeed 1.41.648.4? Mine installed 1.41.648.5 and it's not detecting the GPU on either port but reads the card fine. I did do the 3/5 jumper connect (hard wired together) so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering if the slightly newer driver is preventing it from functioning as expected, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks

*EDIT: also my TB control center looks far less elaborate as yours in the initial screens. Under details it reads:

App version 1.0.25.0

Seceurity Level: No security (SL0)

NVM Firmware version: 43

*EDIT 2

Ok, so I tried downloading the exact software package you used but it refuses to run with this error after installation:

"This Thunderbolt application is not in use anymore and can be safely uninstalled" yet, I just installed it. Go to run it and it has a red outline around the application icon, I've never seen an application refuse to run in this manner before. Uninstall completely, reboot, reinstall, same thing. How annoying...

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

SpaceTimeContinuumThreadripper 2950X - ASROCK x399m Taichi - 32GB G.Skill - (1) RTX 3080 - (2) RTX 2080 Ti eGPU Razer Core X - 2TB NVMe RAID0 - GB-Titan Ridge TB3

ReplyQuote
MINDTHREAT
(@mindthreat)

Good grief...  :-/

After spending 3 hours troubleshooting why I'm having issues, I found out that my Titan Ridge came with V43 firmware and after re-reading this thread again, noticed someone else had an issue after updating their firmware from 23. It appears that you can't flash the Ridge with an older firmware but you can flash it with a newer version? That doesn't make sense to me. Supposedly the V23 is available from what I found on a Github link but it has two files, TR_BLUE and TR_GREEN and both are 1MB. The Firmware upgrade looks to be just under 500k.

Any ideas on where I should go with this? It looks like noldea had to send it to someone to flash it manually, which sounds like a nightmare if you have to go removing chips.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mindthreat, The newer 43 NVM firmware has caused issues from what I read. In order to flash version 23, you'd need some hardware to access the EEPROMs unfortunately.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MINDTHREAT
(@mindthreat)

@mindthreat, The newer 43 NVM firmware has caused issues from what I read. In order to flash version 23, you'd need some hardware to access the EEPROMs unfortunately.

Perseverance has paid off!! Countless hours days of research, experimenting, reaching out to about 20 people on eBay trying to just find a card that has FW23 on it since mine had 43, reaching out to multiple people in hopes to flash the card (many which would not even consider it and others not responding), etc.... finally success from the least likely source available. Imagine my surprise.

After going back and forth with Gigabyte support for over 3 weeks, (and not without some push back mind you!) they have FINALLY provided me with the flash utility/firmware that has allowed me to successfully flash my card back to FW23. The need to flash these chips with dedicated hardware is not required after all, which I did find initially unusual (especially being in the IT industry for over 20-years) since I've never heard of a device that wouldn't allow you to flashback in case something adverse happens a result of said update and in this case, disables the ability to use an eGPU.

Anyways, a reboot and now the eGPU (Razer Core X) is finally not only detected properly in device manager (YES!!!) but also working fantastic for my rendering setup!

I'm certainly glad I didn't pay someone $100 to flash my card back to 23 (as I was a few days away from doing exactly that) or invest even more money/time into getting the hardware to flash the chips myself (which I was also considering since I had nothing to lose) for something that took 25-seconds of my time and a few reboots.... (and 3 long weeks)

Now, I'll proceed on to purchasing another Razer Core X enclosure so that I can run two external 2080 Ti GPUs alongside the 3080 internally and push the 17,408 CUDA cores for some animations.

tbsuccess

As a side note, it is interesting having the ability to render on a dedicated external GPU (or in the near future, set of two) while also being able to play games like Modern Warfare (for example) on the exact same machine with little loss in performance while using the internal GPU dedicated for gaming. What a blast! = D

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mindthreat, Glad to hear your solution came from the manufacturer which I didn't think would cooperate. If possible, please share the firmware 23 and flashing tool so that others in your position can help themselves.

ReplyQuote
MINDTHREAT
(@mindthreat)

@mindthreat, Glad to hear your solution came from the manufacturer which I didn't think would cooperate. If possible, please share the firmware 23 and flashing tool so that others in your position can help themselves.

Exactly my surprise as well and absolutely! I would never want someone to have to go through the mess I had to just to get something so simple to work. Please see the attached FW23 utility, hope it helps someone out there!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mindthreat, Thank you! I updated the OP to include your FW23.zip attachment. Enjoy your setup and we're looking forward to seeing a build once you have time.

ReplyQuote
 of  10