2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  9
  RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

It was mostly an academic question and to do something really weird.

It won't be worth it in the practical eGPU sense (native mPCIe works on that system and would perform better anyway).

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DamianS555
(@damians555)

@itsage Any chance you could test it with consumer grade platform ? Like for example Asus prime x470-pro ? While I very much like the fact that it works with Ryzen, I would really like to see it connected to some cheaper pc. Threadripper is a little bit an overkill for my needs.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@damians555 I have a B350 system but it's an ITX running Ryzen 7 1700. There's only one PCI slot for the GPU. I will see if I can get a Ryzen 3 2200G for testing purpose.

One behavior I noticed in the past week is something we've seen in laptops with eGPU enclosure connected. When the system is fully turned off the fan/s on the eGPU enclosure may run. This is what's happing with my X399 system. With everything completely off, the CPU fan is running at a slow speed. I believe this is related to power delivery and dictated by the AIC's firmware.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
fireheadman
(@fireheadman)
Trusted Member

Sub'd just for any inputs on a cMP 5,1 w/this card.   Optimistic and extremely curious if this can really work.

DAILY DRIVER: ⚡cMP 2010 (ⓄⓈ:DualBoot macOS 10.13.6/Windows 2016 (1803)) | ⒸⓅⓊ:3.47GHz Xeon X5690 (x12 core)
ⓇⒶⓂ:64GB 1333MHz DDR3 | ⓈⓈⒹ:1TB SSD (LiteON 512 -x4 - RAID1) w/Marvell Raid Controller | ⒼⓅⓊ: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11GB Founders Edition
⚡ Previous was MacMini 2011 w/AKiTiO Thunder2 | ⒼⓅⓊ:EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC Gaming

2011 Mac Mini [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
chx
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

Posted by: itsage

I will test this AIC with a few non-support systems next. I have a feeling the card has to connect to the CPU rather than the Chipset in order to work.

If that's the case, I will be very surprised. That's a very odd distinction.

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
Bootrear
(@bootrear)

Can you please test hot-plug support?

If you boot up Windows without any TB devices connected(!), will it detect and make usable new devices?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bootrear I tested more Thunderbolt 3 devices and hot-plug is not fully working. While it can hot-detect a connected device, the device is not functional unless it was connected prior to boot. Also the GC-Titan-Ridge can work without any PCIe power cables connected.

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

@itsage pretty please give me output of "lspci -vt" and "lspci -vv".

You can get pciutils for Windows if you do not have Linux. On Windows, you have to be Administrator to run lspci command - Windows must have tighter permissions for read access. On Linux, you can get most of the information as a normal user (but some modes can be more verbose as root).

I need to know how the PCIe slots are wired and which segments each are on. Because Threadripper has two PCIe root complexes, there are two sets of bus numbers. If you can figure out which PCIe slots are on which segment (including the 3x M.2 on the motherboard) then that would mean a lot to me.

In planning a build, I need to make sure that only two Titan Ridge cards end up on each segment to ensure there are enough bus numbers (I am planning for four).

Please also tell me what PCIe bifurcation options are available in BIOS. Can you turn all of the fully functioning x16 slots into x4/x4/x4/x4? What about x8/x4/x4 and x8/x8?

Cheers!

royalba94 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@karatekid430 On my ASRock X399M Taichi motherboard, I can set all 3 x16 PCIe slots into x4/x4/x4/x4 slots. There are no options for x8/x4/x4 or x8/x8. I also noticed there's mention of "external graphics card" in the Fast Boot option. I will take screen captures of these sections in BIOS.

I attempted running pciutils for Windows this past weekend. The Command window flashed then quickly disappeared. Can you provide the step by step to run it in Windows 10 to get the output? I saw two PCIe root complexes in HWiNFO64. I will expand both to provide more information if I can't get pciutils for Windows running.

royalba94 liked
ReplyQuote
royalba94
(@royalba94)

Posted by: itsage

I attempted running pciutils for Windows this past weekend. The Command window flashed then quickly disappeared.

Sounds like maybe you need to run the command prompt as admin - search cmd > right click > run as administrator
That's what I have to do to get the command prompt to stay up at least...

Thanks for your efforts testing all this!

ReplyQuote
 of  9