Setup & Software Discussions
2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [8th,16C,A] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Cor...

2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [8th,16C,A] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: itsage

@joevt3 TB3 eGPU is working with my 5,1 running Win10 1803 + GC-Titan-Ridge. I used the Mantiz Venus enclosure and Radeon Pro WX 9100. AIDA64 confirmed x4 PCIe 2.0 connection for AIC.

Very nice. People have said that the new MacPro5,1 firmware provided with the Mojave update makes PCIe 3.0 cards run at PCIe 2.0 speed after boot.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

Posted by: itsage

I was able to run lspci after adding WinIO.dll to Windows system folder. The output was too long so it's attached in the txt file. Also here are the BIOS screen captures.

Cheers! But what the hell? You only have one PCI segment / domain. I thought Threadripper has two PCIe root complexes which would mean two segments / domains.

Well that ruins everything. I needed more complexes to reserve more bus numbers....

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@nova-nerd-12345)

So I tried the GC card in an asrock X399 board with only the usb and 12V connectors and it works. WTF gigabyte, fix your shit! wouldn't even work with thb-c header cable.

Had to reboot a few times, and hotplug doesn't work of course. It can see a device in windows when you plug it in and "approve" it (I did permanently for obv reasons) then reboot once and install drivers. My portable akitio 10GbE works, so bus power is also good.

This is a bit weird, but seems to indicate that the TB card is storing whitelists on its own because there is no way the enumeration on boot could talk to windows that early.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mj0012
(@mj0012)

Anyone know if daisy chaining works? I would love to try a Threadripper setup but I've got 3 Promise Thunderbolt RAID units that I need for my work.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I am still waiting for some amazing RTX 2080 benchmarks.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
dreamer
(@dreamer)

Hi @itsage --thanks for posting. I have a quick question if you have a minute. Also pinging @karatekid430 (edit: and @nova-nerd-12345 ) in case you've got thoughts!

In short: has connecting a SATA or SSD Thunderbolt drive on AMD been proven yet with Titan Ridge? I'm trying, and wondering if I've missed an obvious step.

I've got Titan Ridge, and have a 1950x Threadripper in an Asrock Taichi X399 board, using Windows 10, 1803. I've made it 90% of the way there using your guide, but am having trouble.

After booting, if I plug in a Thunderbolt 2 hard drive (Startech TB3 to Thunderbolt adapter) the Thunderbolt software correctly identifies the drive plugged in, brand name and all. The device is authorized but won't mount to read or write data to the drive. If I cold boot with the drive and adapter attached, the drive doesn't power on (bus power drive). Anything I'm missing in terms of cold boot? Or are HDD/SSDs not capable with Titan Ridge + AMD yet?

I'm now running the same BIOS version as you show in your screenshots.
BIOS has the slot as 4x4x4x4 currently so that the Titan Ridge card shows up in HWInfo.

Please advise--thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

I used the Gigabyte GC-Titan-Ridge on my 2950x with asrock taichi x399 (win10) to connect my Promise R4 RAID. I did not connect the pci, usb and thb-c cable and it worked fine. What they are there for? Also daisy chaining with another Promise R4 is no problem.
Only rebooting everytime after connecting the raid is annoying. And you need to install the raid driver from the Promise-Website.

When I shut down and start the PC back again the raid is powered off everytime. I need to plugin the thunderbolt cable for starting it again. So every morning after booting I need replug the cable and reboot. I also use HFS+ because the raid is mac-formated. Sometimes copying don't progress in the middle of large files. 

So it works yes, but it is a bit annoying :/

my System: https://valid.x86.fr/asydgj

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@dreamer I have only used the Apple adapter. What I found is that Thunderbolt 3 to older Thunderbolt connection in Windows doesn’t allow expansion I/O to work. The only component work through this arrangement so far was the eGPU. I wonder if this is the same culprit with your Thunderbolt 2 drive. Give the Apple adapter a shot and see if it makes a difference.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
dreamer
(@dreamer)

Thanks for the replies and suggestion. I used the Apple adapter afterward, and got the same results. I ended up returning the card and am accepting that USB 3.1 gen2 is the fastest my machine will do for now.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: dreamer

After booting, if I plug in a Thunderbolt 2 hard drive (Startech TB3 to Thunderbolt adapter) the Thunderbolt software correctly identifies the drive plugged in, brand name and all. The device is authorized but won't mount to read or write data to the drive. If I cold boot with the drive and adapter attached, the drive doesn't power on (bus power drive). Anything I'm missing in terms of cold boot? Or are HDD/SSDs not capable with Titan Ridge + AMD yet?

I'm now running the same BIOS version as you show in your screenshots.
BIOS has the slot as 4x4x4x4 currently so that the Titan Ridge card shows up in HWInfo.

You said a cold boot doesn't work. Does a warm boot work?

A warm boot (or two?) is required after a new device is connected. With my Mac Pro 2008, I can daisy chain multiple devices including Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 2, and Thunderbolt 1. One example chain:
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock -> OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock -> Apple Thunderbolt 1 to FireWire adapter

The Apple Thunderbolt 1 to FireWire adapter is bus powered and seems to work ok. Maybe some bus powered devices don't work as you experienced. I wonder if the behavior would be improved if you placed the bus powered device after a self powered device? In the case of the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, it doesn't matter where you connect it.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
devin
(@devin)

I found this thread looking for TB solutions to run my audio rig (Zen Studio+) and constructed an AMD 1920x system with ASRock Taichi X399 - mimicking @itsage setup. 

Windows 10 does not seem to see the card at all, I have tried all 3 lower slots (the top used by a Nvidia card) and set the BIOS to x4x4x4x4. 

No idea where to go from here, suggestions?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@devin Which BIOS version are you running on the X399 Taichi? My X399M is at 3.50 and had worked with 3.32A, 3.30, and 3.23B. Also make sure to download and install [17.4.77.400]. Which audio interface do you have? Does it get power from a separate power brick or rely on bus-power? In order for Windows 10 to detect the Thunderbolt 3 device, it needs to be connected at boot.

My mATX board only has three PCIe slots. The first slot has a Radeon Vega Frontier graphics card. The second has an ASUS Essence STX sound card. GC-Titan-Ridge occupies the third slot without PCIe power cables or TB3 header cable connected.

This post was modified 11 months ago

ReplyQuote
devin
(@devin)

I grabbed the latest drivers from Gigabyte [17.4.77.400] and the latest BIOS from ASRock [3.50]. 

The interface is a Zen Studio+, I have booted with the interface on, it has its own power.

I am also using a TB2 to TB3 cable - I bought 2 different ones to try.

Shouldn't Windows see the Titan Ridge in Device Manager or with HWInfo regardless of what is attached?

Thunderbolt about screenshot: 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Thunderbolt 3 device have to be connected prior to boot. Otherwise the AIC is not awake when the system boots into Windows. I have not tested Thunderbolt 2 or older devices with this setup. That may be the culprit. Read this Intel Titan Ridge discussion for more details.

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

I used the Gigabyte GC-Titan-Ridge on my 2950x with asrock taichi x399 (win10) to connect my Promise R4 RAID. But the Write speed is to slow (80mb/s). Normally It have to be over 400mb/s. Do anybody have an idea why?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al3JwuOmxWx02gb8KtlynnnJXl5-

ReplyQuote
JackM
(@jackm)

Hi,

Mine won't even show up in the thunderbolt software in the system tray. I've tried to pull all my drive and the pegasus utility app can't even detect my R4. Do you have what's the problem occur? Thanks.

Jack

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

Did you install all the drivers (Titan ridge, Promise https://www.promise.com/DownloadFile.aspx?DownloadFileUID=4541 ) and restarted your system?

Is there an entry in the bios at the pcie settings? Whats your Mainboard?

ReplyQuote
JackM
(@jackm)

Thanks for the reply,
I have installed all the stuff you mention...my mainboard is Asrock x399m Taichi... But when I plug in my Western Digital my passport pro thunderbolt hard drive.  it shows up in the thunderbolt utility. But it's not showing up in my computer. Weird....so frustrated.

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

Is a Western Digital my passport pro a thunderbolt 3 device? Im not sure if its capable of connecting something with a adapter.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

The My Passport Pro appears to be a Thunderbolt 1 device. There may be issues with Titan Ridge and some Thunderbolt 1 devices. Or it maybe that the My Passport Pro is bus powered and there's not enough power from the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. In that case, you should connect a Thunderbolt 2 Dock, and connect the My Passport Pro to the dock.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@eudes_quittelier)

Just for info, everything works fine on my TR1950x/taichi x399 with a 6Big 24Tb RAID 5 enclosure in TB3, and i'm getting expected disk speed 
Just some reboots after driver install and TB 3 device authorising 🙂

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@jackm Bus-powered Thunderbolt devices don’t work through an adapter. Like @joevt recommended, you’d need a Thunderbolt /2 enclosure to daisy-chain off of the downstream TB port to use your WD My Passport Pro Thunderbolt external drive.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

The Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter are both bus powered Thunderbolt 1 devices that appear to work with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and GC-TITAN RIDGE. The My Passport Pro might require more power, or it doesn't work well with Titan Ridge because it's a Thunderbolt 1 device. I don't know if the latter is an actual problem - I know that some (or all?) people are unable to get an Apple Thunderbolt 1 display to work with GC-TITAN RIDGE but I think it works fine with Macs that have Titan Ridge. The two Apple bus powered Thunderbolt 1 devices seem to work fine with GC-TITAN RIDGE.

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

Did someone installed the Windows 10 1903 Update? When I do so, there is a bluescreen after connecting a tb3-Device and rebooting to make them function (Hotplug do not work. Still after the jumper-solution)

@Eudes Quittelier how fast is your RAID? For some reson mine (Promise R4)  is slow in writing

RAID Speed 2019 06 07
This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
editor4yourfilm
(@editor4yourfilm)

PLEASE HELP!  Based solely on this post, I bought a GC-Titan-Ridge for my x399 Aorus Gaming Extreme 7 board (w Ryzen 1900x) which also lacks a Thunderbolt header.  I followed your instructions and connected the two 6-pin power cables and the USB header cable to F_USB1 port on the board.  I also installed the Thunderbolt software from the Gigabyte site that you mentioned.  

However, my Thunderbolt devices (both my 12TB Thunderbolt external drive and my Razer Core X egpu + Vega 64) are not showing and there is no indication of Thunderbolt working at all as no devices are listed under Attached Thunderbolt Devices. 

What did I do wrong?  The two areas where I may have differed from your method are:
1.  I used one power cable from my power supply (from a VGA power port) and connected both 6-pin ends of the cable to the card.  Should I have used two different cables from two different VGA power ports from the power supply?  That means this card takes ALOT of power. 

2.  I used this card on an PCIeX8 slot, not a PCIeX4 slot as the documentation suggests.  I am using the latter slot for another card (a Blackmagic 4k HDMI video out card). 

My concerns may be very basic!  Sorry; I do not have a lot of computer-building experience and ANY help will be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@editor4yourfilm I don’t think the PCIe slot matter. Did you connect the Thunderbolt header cable and jump pin-3 to pin-5? Also the PCIe power cables are not necessary unless you need to have Power Delivery through the Thunderbolt 3 ports. Here you can see I use a short wire to connect the two pins.

ReplyQuote
editor4yourfilm
(@editor4yourfilm)

Very helpful post!  Many thanks.  

No, I did not connect the Thunderbolt header.  Neither did the original poster, unless if I misunderstood something.  Where do I connect that to on this board, which doesn't officially have Thunderbolt support (even though it is Gigabyte, which makes boards for Intel that do).

And what do you mean jump pin-3 to pin-5 cable?  What came with the GC-Titan-Ridge to connect the Thunderbolt header is a 5-pin to 5-pin.  Sorry, I do not have enough knowledge to even know how what you are saying applies to me, so some hand-holding will be greatly appreciated!  Working with computers is my livelihood but I am a Mac guy.  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

The card in the picture is the GC-TITAN RIDGE. The Thunderbolt header cable is connected to the card (top right connector in the picture of the card to the left of the PCIe slot connector that powers the card). At the other end of the header cable is a small red wire that connects two of the pins together. Notice the orientation of the connector (the other side of the connector does not have the hook that secures the connector to a motherboard header).

ReplyQuote
editor4yourfilm
(@editor4yourfilm)

Thanks  joevt for chiming in!  The photo did not initially load up when I saw itsage's post.  But the short cable hack still would have perplexed me.  

Here's my question:  am I to shimmy that short red wire into the pinholes #1 and #3 (out of 5) going from left to right in the pic?  Can I just use a spare wire and do that?  Essentially, the Thunderbolt cable then will be loose and unconnected to the board, correct?

Just saw the link that itsage referenced and it all makes sense now. Will give this a shot. THANK YOU GUYS!

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

Hi, a while ago I figured out that the slow write speed on my thunderbolt raid was just occuring because of the Windows disconnection guidelines in der Raid-Driver-Settings. Now everthing is fine.

But I have another problem. I tried connecting a Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with a RTX 2070 inside. But at the warm bootup the mainboard stuck at the LED Code 9C.
I have a 2950x with asrock x399 taichi BIOS P3.80 and a second RTX2070 inside. Warmboot without the graphics card installed is no problem. My Thunderbolt Laptop also have no proplems connecting it with the graphics card installed.
I tried jumping 3 and 5 and set the pcie to 4x4, disable usb boot etc. but I couldt find the "Above 4G Decoding" setting in the bios. Cold boot or hotplug works neather with the raid or the EGPU. Do anyone know, what I can try next?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@noidea In a Thunderbolt 3 certified system/motherboard you have settings to support bootable Thunderbolt devices. With the X399 having no support, I don’t know what can be done to get around boot hang issue. I’ve noticed RTX eGPUs causing boot hangs with different systems not just the X399. 

ReplyQuote
flyingfishfinger
(@flyingfishfinger)

Slightly OT, please forgive me: Has anyone tried the ThunderboltEX 3 on non-supported motherboards?

I have an i7-8560u board with no TB, so I basically want to try what was proposed here but the Titan Ridge is a bit large / power hungry...

Posted by: @yukikaze
And now, for something truly crazy: Take an m.2 to PCIe x4 adapter. Grab a laptop of SFF desktop with an m.2 slot. Plug the GC-Titan-Ridge into it, and see if the TB3 controller works.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

After trying different GPUs the RTX 2070 now boots correctly. I don't know why. Maybe because I am using now the one I used inside as EGPU which is the same model (Asus RTX 2070 Turbo) but with different Memory Manufacturer (Samsung instead of Micron). Thank you anyway

ReplyQuote
 of  2