2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I am still waiting for some amazing RTX 2080 benchmarks.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dreamer
(@dreamer)

Hi @itsage --thanks for posting. I have a quick question if you have a minute. Also pinging @karatekid430 (edit: and @nova-nerd-12345 ) in case you've got thoughts!

In short: has connecting a SATA or SSD Thunderbolt drive on AMD been proven yet with Titan Ridge? I'm trying, and wondering if I've missed an obvious step.

I've got Titan Ridge, and have a 1950x Threadripper in an Asrock Taichi X399 board, using Windows 10, 1803. I've made it 90% of the way there using your guide, but am having trouble.

After booting, if I plug in a Thunderbolt 2 hard drive (Startech TB3 to Thunderbolt adapter) the Thunderbolt software correctly identifies the drive plugged in, brand name and all. The device is authorized but won't mount to read or write data to the drive. If I cold boot with the drive and adapter attached, the drive doesn't power on (bus power drive). Anything I'm missing in terms of cold boot? Or are HDD/SSDs not capable with Titan Ridge + AMD yet?

I'm now running the same BIOS version as you show in your screenshots.
BIOS has the slot as 4x4x4x4 currently so that the Titan Ridge card shows up in HWInfo.

Please advise--thanks in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

I used the Gigabyte GC-Titan-Ridge on my 2950x with asrock taichi x399 (win10) to connect my Promise R4 RAID. I did not connect the pci, usb and thb-c cable and it worked fine. What they are there for? Also daisy chaining with another Promise R4 is no problem.
Only rebooting everytime after connecting the raid is annoying. And you need to install the raid driver from the Promise-Website.

When I shut down and start the PC back again the raid is powered off everytime. I need to plugin the thunderbolt cable for starting it again. So every morning after booting I need replug the cable and reboot. I also use HFS+ because the raid is mac-formated. Sometimes copying don't progress in the middle of large files. 

So it works yes, but it is a bit annoying :/

my System: https://valid.x86.fr/asydgj

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dreamer I have only used the Apple adapter. What I found is that Thunderbolt 3 to older Thunderbolt connection in Windows doesn't allow expansion I/O to work. The only component work through this arrangement so far was the eGPU. I wonder if this is the same culprit with your Thunderbolt 2 drive. Give the Apple adapter a shot and see if it makes a difference.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dreamer
(@dreamer)

Thanks for the replies and suggestion. I used the Apple adapter afterward, and got the same results. I ended up returning the card and am accepting that USB 3.1 gen2 is the fastest my machine will do for now.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: dreamer

After booting, if I plug in a Thunderbolt 2 hard drive (Startech TB3 to Thunderbolt adapter) the Thunderbolt software correctly identifies the drive plugged in, brand name and all. The device is authorized but won't mount to read or write data to the drive. If I cold boot with the drive and adapter attached, the drive doesn't power on (bus power drive). Anything I'm missing in terms of cold boot? Or are HDD/SSDs not capable with Titan Ridge + AMD yet?

I'm now running the same BIOS version as you show in your screenshots.
BIOS has the slot as 4x4x4x4 currently so that the Titan Ridge card shows up in HWInfo.

You said a cold boot doesn't work. Does a warm boot work?

A warm boot (or two?) is required after a new device is connected. With my Mac Pro 2008, I can daisy chain multiple devices including Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 2, and Thunderbolt 1. One example chain:
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock -> OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock -> Apple Thunderbolt 1 to FireWire adapter

The Apple Thunderbolt 1 to FireWire adapter is bus powered and seems to work ok. Maybe some bus powered devices don't work as you experienced. I wonder if the behavior would be improved if you placed the bus powered device after a self powered device? In the case of the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, it doesn't matter where you connect it.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
devin
(@devin)

I found this thread looking for TB solutions to run my audio rig (Zen Studio+) and constructed an AMD 1920x system with ASRock Taichi X399 - mimicking @itsage setup. 

Windows 10 does not seem to see the card at all, I have tried all 3 lower slots (the top used by a Nvidia card) and set the BIOS to x4x4x4x4. 

No idea where to go from here, suggestions?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@devin Which BIOS version are you running on the X399 Taichi? My X399M is at 3.50 and had worked with 3.32A, 3.30, and 3.23B. Also make sure to download and install [17.4.77.400]. Which audio interface do you have? Does it get power from a separate power brick or rely on bus-power? In order for Windows 10 to detect the Thunderbolt 3 device, it needs to be connected at boot.

My mATX board only has three PCIe slots. The first slot has a Radeon Vega Frontier graphics card. The second has an ASUS Essence STX sound card. GC-Titan-Ridge occupies the third slot without PCIe power cables or TB3 header cable connected.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
devin
(@devin)

I grabbed the latest drivers from Gigabyte [17.4.77.400] and the latest BIOS from ASRock [3.50]. 

The interface is a Zen Studio+, I have booted with the interface on, it has its own power.

I am also using a TB2 to TB3 cable - I bought 2 different ones to try.

Shouldn't Windows see the Titan Ridge in Device Manager or with HWInfo regardless of what is attached?

Thunderbolt about screenshot: 

This post was modified 2 years ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Thunderbolt 3 device have to be connected prior to boot. Otherwise the AIC is not awake when the system boots into Windows. I have not tested Thunderbolt 2 or older devices with this setup. That may be the culprit. Read this Intel Titan Ridge discussion for more details.

ReplyQuote
 of  10