2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

editor4yourfilm
(@editor4yourfilm)

PLEASE HELP!  Based solely on this post, I bought a GC-Titan-Ridge for my x399 Aorus Gaming Extreme 7 board (w Ryzen 1900x) which also lacks a Thunderbolt header.  I followed your instructions and connected the two 6-pin power cables and the USB header cable to F_USB1 port on the board.  I also installed the Thunderbolt software from the Gigabyte site that you mentioned.  

However, my Thunderbolt devices (both my 12TB Thunderbolt external drive and my Razer Core X egpu + Vega 64) are not showing and there is no indication of Thunderbolt working at all as no devices are listed under Attached Thunderbolt Devices. 

What did I do wrong?  The two areas where I may have differed from your method are:
1.  I used one power cable from my power supply (from a VGA power port) and connected both 6-pin ends of the cable to the card.  Should I have used two different cables from two different VGA power ports from the power supply?  That means this card takes ALOT of power. 

2.  I used this card on an PCIeX8 slot, not a PCIeX4 slot as the documentation suggests.  I am using the latter slot for another card (a Blackmagic 4k HDMI video out card). 

My concerns may be very basic!  Sorry; I do not have a lot of computer-building experience and ANY help will be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@editor4yourfilm I don't think the PCIe slot matter. Did you connect the Thunderbolt header cable and jump pin-3 to pin-5? Also the PCIe power cables are not necessary unless you need to have Power Delivery through the Thunderbolt 3 ports. Here you can see I use a short wire to connect the two pins.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
editor4yourfilm
(@editor4yourfilm)

Very helpful post!  Many thanks.  

No, I did not connect the Thunderbolt header.  Neither did the original poster, unless if I misunderstood something.  Where do I connect that to on this board, which doesn't officially have Thunderbolt support (even though it is Gigabyte, which makes boards for Intel that do).

And what do you mean jump pin-3 to pin-5 cable?  What came with the GC-Titan-Ridge to connect the Thunderbolt header is a 5-pin to 5-pin.  Sorry, I do not have enough knowledge to even know how what you are saying applies to me, so some hand-holding will be greatly appreciated!  Working with computers is my livelihood but I am a Mac guy.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

The card in the picture is the GC-TITAN RIDGE. The Thunderbolt header cable is connected to the card (top right connector in the picture of the card to the left of the PCIe slot connector that powers the card). At the other end of the header cable is a small red wire that connects two of the pins together. Notice the orientation of the connector (the other side of the connector does not have the hook that secures the connector to a motherboard header).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
editor4yourfilm
(@editor4yourfilm)

Thanks  joevt for chiming in!  The photo did not initially load up when I saw itsage's post.  But the short cable hack still would have perplexed me.  

Here's my question:  am I to shimmy that short red wire into the pinholes #1 and #3 (out of 5) going from left to right in the pic?  Can I just use a spare wire and do that?  Essentially, the Thunderbolt cable then will be loose and unconnected to the board, correct?

Just saw the link that itsage referenced and it all makes sense now. Will give this a shot. THANK YOU GUYS!

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

Hi, a while ago I figured out that the slow write speed on my thunderbolt raid was just occuring because of the Windows disconnection guidelines in der Raid-Driver-Settings. Now everthing is fine.

But I have another problem. I tried connecting a Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with a RTX 2070 inside. But at the warm bootup the mainboard stuck at the LED Code 9C.
I have a 2950x with asrock x399 taichi BIOS P3.80 and a second RTX2070 inside. Warmboot without the graphics card installed is no problem. My Thunderbolt Laptop also have no proplems connecting it with the graphics card installed.
I tried jumping 3 and 5 and set the pcie to 4x4, disable usb boot etc. but I couldt find the "Above 4G Decoding" setting in the bios. Cold boot or hotplug works neather with the raid or the EGPU. Do anyone know, what I can try next?

my System: https://valid.x86.fr/asydgj

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@noidea In a Thunderbolt 3 certified system/motherboard you have settings to support bootable Thunderbolt devices. With the X399 having no support, I don't know what can be done to get around boot hang issue. I've noticed RTX eGPUs causing boot hangs with different systems not just the X399. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
flyingfishfinger
(@flyingfishfinger)

Slightly OT, please forgive me: Has anyone tried the ThunderboltEX 3 on non-supported motherboards?

I have an i7-8560u board with no TB, so I basically want to try what was proposed here but the Titan Ridge is a bit large / power hungry...

Posted by: @yukikaze
And now, for something truly crazy: Take an m.2 to PCIe x4 adapter. Grab a laptop of SFF desktop with an m.2 slot. Plug the GC-Titan-Ridge into it, and see if the TB3 controller works.

This post was modified 11 months ago

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

After trying different GPUs the RTX 2070 now boots correctly. I don't know why. Maybe because I am using now the one I used inside as EGPU which is the same model (Asus RTX 2070 Turbo) but with different Memory Manufacturer (Samsung instead of Micron). Thank you anyway

ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

Its me again... I installed the FW-Updater from the gigabyte website https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility , hoping hot plug will work afterwards. Now even with warmbooting no device gets detected. Do somebody know where I can get the old firmware from?
It looks like the device (RAID for excampel) get a shutdown command when rebooting. (The led now turns red before shutdown. which was not the case in the past)

ReplyQuote
 of  10