2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@noidea I'm afraid Intel patched a loophole for GC-TITAN-RIDGE to work on non-supported system. Not sure the stock firmware is available to the public. You may have to exchange with Gigabyte for an AIC with older firmware.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

All of my Thunderbolt 3 AIC tests on AMD systems so far have been with ASRock motherboards. The local MicroCenter had a great deal on ASUS ROG Strix X399-E Gaming motherboard so I got it for testing. This board worked the same way as ASRock X399M motherboard.

Gigabyte Support website has DCH drivers [1.41.648.4] for the GC-TITAN-RIDGE. Once the drivers are installed Windows will automatically download Thunderbolt Control Center. You can still use older non-DCH Thunderbolt drivers for Intel Thunderbolt Software; learn the difference in this discussion.

There's no Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS/UEFI. I jumped pin 3 to pin 5 to keep the AIC awake so that the system would detect Thunderbolt connection through hot-plug. Unfortunately Thunderbolt 3 devices remain non-functional until a warm boot. I had both an eGPU and NVMe drive connected to both TB3 ports on the Titan Ridge AIC and they worked well concurrently.

One thing I do not recommend is to update the firmware of the GC-TITAN-RIDGE. As @noidea reported, the newest firmware broke Thunderbolt 3 compatibility with non-supported systems such as this AMD X399 motherboard.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

noIdea liked
ReplyQuote
noIdea
(@noidea)

@itsage
thanks for the great summery!
Sadly I couldn’t find a software-firmware-file on the internet. So I sent the gc-titan-ridge to a kind hackintosh fellow, who had to transfer the old V23 Firmware via EEPROM Flash. With the old 23 Version averything is working fine after the usual warmboot.

my System: https://valid.x86.fr/asydgj

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@noidea Good to know Thunderbolt FW V23 does the trick. 

ReplyQuote
ampman
(@ampman)

Yes, the 23FW is the firmware you should have, my guess is that there is a 23FW of the very first deliveries of the Titan Ridge (must be one from 8.1.2018)
that even allows a cold boot, which was then closed by an update. But it looks like someone has this FW.
All Titan Ridge with the SN: 19XXXXXXXXXXX have the 43FW. All SN: 18xxxxxxxxx have the 23FW

look

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2566604976940696/2569002190034308/?comment_id=2569038503364010&reply_comment_id=2569435953324265&notif_id=1582417138214605&notif_t=group_comment_mention 
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9n16cRAEYA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0U8K8VkBOOCxIT1VEEV_m5xVcYeSIcrJV2SNCKe-429R2wuIGslozLzGk 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

Has anyone tried an x399 designare EX. ?

Would they be the same procedures that ITSAGE explains?

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 2950x, GC-Alpine Ridge, RTX 2080 TI, 64 Ram

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

Good afternoon

Connect everything as you show and do not recognize me the cg titan card also eh connected header with pins 3 and 5 and nothing does not happen.
wanting to install the titan drivers shows me an error where you can't find thunderbolt you attached the images
Threadreapper 2950x system  and x399 will designate mobo

I hope they can help me

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@brian_salazar, The X399 Designare motherboard has THB_C Header. Did you try connecting the AIC to that header? Maybe try different PCIe slots and see if there's detection.

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

@itsage,

Wendell and I have tried several ways: / but without success I have changed ports and we have not put bios f10 connected bt header instead and usb did not work either: /

It should be noted that what I want to connect are some Apple Thunderbolt display monitors, however I do not think that is the reason why my Mobo PC does not recognize the GC Titan

if any reason pin 1 and 3 on one occasion can it cause?

excuse my ignorance 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@brian_salazar, Thunderbolt on X399 is still a non-supported configuration so the particular motherboard you have may not work. I've tried ASRock Taichi X399 and ASUS X399 Gaming-E and they work the same way. It's also possible your AIC has a newer firmware rather the 23.0 version that came with my card. If your main intention is to drive Thunderbolt monitors, I'd recommend using the GC-ALPINE-RIDGE instead.

ReplyQuote
 of  10