2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 AMD X399 Threadripper 1950X [R1K,16C,X] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

@itsage,

Thank you very much itage I will buy the GC-ALPINE-RIDGE and that procedure I would have to do the same with the pins or the normal contact of the header in their respective place, I would follow in the bios f10 to designate mobo or I have to do test and error

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 2950x, GC-Alpine Ridge, RTX 2080 TI, 64 Ram

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@brian_salazar, You don't need to connect the header cable to the GC-ALPINE-RIDGE AIC. It doesn't work as a Thunderbolt 3 add-in for the motherboard. It simply converts DisplayPort stream/s to Thunderbolt 3 monitor output.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

@itsage, I take your advice I bought a gc alpine and when I plug it in it worked properly however in the days it stop working you know some reason why it happen this ?

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

@itsage,I hope you can help me

hwinfo 1
hwinfo 2
hwinfo 3
IMG 5189
IMG 5188
IMG 5187
IMG 5186

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@brian_salazar, It's likely to do with power state of the computer. I have not tried monitor output to Thunderbolt 3 then to Thunderbolt through an adapter. Have you tried connecting the THB_C header on your X399 Designare EX motherboard?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

@itsage,

what do you mean by computer power state?

if i tried with the tb head connected and disconnected, thunderbolt display had already been working I really don't know what happened, any bios settings? I have bios 10 modified by wendell, I just need to try pin 3 and 5 as if it were gc titan. I have changed the pci ports and nothing has worked for me yet I also installed different thunderbolt drivers and nothing

Could you show my bios settings?

Do you think the gc alpine ridge card has been damaged?

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

@joevt some idea to help me with gc alpine ridge and x399 desiganre

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@brian_salazar, does the x399 Designare have a Thunderbolt header? If not, then you may want to connect the Force Power and Platform Sequence Control pins to 3.3V using 8.2kΩ pull up resistors.

#1,047 

Then in the EFI Shell, if the "pci" command doesn't show the GC-ALPINE RIDGE (8086:1578), then find it using the mm command. The bus number will be one that is not listed by the pci command. The four bytes at register 4 will be not FFFFFFFF for a device that exists. The four bytes at register 0 will be FFFFFFFF for hidden or non-existant devices.

For example, for bus 09, enter:
mm 090000004 -w 4 -pcie -n
If it's not FFFFFFFF, then it means there's probably a PCIe device there.

A Thunderbolt controller will have 0x1234 at offset 0x502:
mm 090000502 -w 2 -pcie -n

You might be able to enable USB with these commands (using bus 9 for example):
mm 09000054C 00 -w 1 -PCIE -n
mm 09000054C 0D -w 1 -PCIE -n

Reading the byte at 548 should give the result 0x0D:
mm 090000548 -w 1 -PCIE -n

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
brian salazar
(@brian_salazar)

@joevt, thanks for helping but it is too complicated for me what you are saying, the mobo x399 designate has tbheader but the following I did not understand how to do it

I want use just for Windows 

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
MINDTHREAT
(@mindthreat)

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to stop by and send thanks to itsage and everyone else for all their work in proving TB3 functioning in Threadripper systems with the Titan Ridge card. Never would have guessed I'd ever need it. I did several days of research and read through most of the linked threads relating to Thunderbolt 3 and eGPUs here and finally jumped in, purchased a card from eBay that arrived today and got it going with no fuss.

Only reason I really went with it was because I also have an Asrock x399m Taichi board with 2950X and a few 2080 Ti cards that I didn't want to go to waste/re-sell and utilize for rendering purposes instead. Strange, I would have never considered that as an option or use for eGPU and not really sure how I got here but I'm glad it's going to be usable! Anyways, I'm still waiting for the Razer Core box to arrive but the card appears to be detected as expected in HWINFO, as you've shown in the pictures in the beginning.

Not sure how I post a picture (I'm a new user, maybe it's limited to x amount of posts) but will be back to report the final outcome, though I'm expecting success based on everything I've read and am seeing on my end thus far. Not sure I'll ever expand beyond the 2 external enclosures but if I do, how exactly would I daisy chain these Razer enclosures beyond 2 or is that actually possible with this sort of setup?

Thanks again!!

{blue}:cool:

SpaceTimeContinuumThreadripper 2950X - ASROCK x399m Taichi - 32GB G.Skill - (1) RTX 3080 - (2) RTX 2080 Ti eGPU Razer Core X - 2TB NVMe RAID0 - GB-Titan Ridge TB3

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  10