Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro Retina + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + Win10 [nelz]  

RSS

nelz
 nelz
(@nelz)
July 23, 2017 5:12 am  

Been messing with this for a week or so and have found a reliable way to boot using an Nvidia card on a 13" MacBook Pro Retina from early 2015, which is known for having a lot of issues.

Here goes:

• Shut down MacBook & eGPU
  • Boot into Windows 10 & do not connect/power on eGPU
  • Shortly after boot completes, click Start, then Restart
  • Right after clicking restart, power on eGPU quickly but do not connect the Thunderbolt cable yet
  • Make sure to hold Option again whilst your MacBook reboots
  • On the boot menu, wait until the WiFi loading spinner stops, then boot into Windows
  • Connect Thunderbolt cable as soon as blue Windows logo appears, but before the loading spinner starts

These steps work 100% for me now.

TL;DR, shut down fully, boot into Windows, click Restart, power on eGPU, then connect Thunderbolt right at the Windows logo after reboot.

Hope this helps!

2016 MacBook 15" // Akitio Node // GTX1080 // Bootcamp via Clover

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 25, 2017 2:10 pm  

Thank you for posting your findings with the Early 2015 13" MBP. Would you like to post some pictures of your setup and benchmarks?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
jed1josh
(@jed1josh)
September 13, 2017 10:35 am  

Mate you are a legend. 

Couldn't for the life of me get this to work until i tried your trick. Still can't get OSX to use the epgu, but my windows 10 bootcamp install now works like a treat.

Late 2015 Macbook Pro retina TB2-TB3 adapter to Akitio Node TB3 box, 1080GTX

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
thanatopsis
(@thanatopsis)
September 28, 2017 8:50 am  

It takes longer than usual to get to the desktop, but works for me, too. I haven't tried that whole USB drive workaround yet, but for the amount I need to boot this laptop with the eGPU I'm glad I don't have to worry about it for now.

Thanks!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jumpingsalad
(@jumpingsalad)
January 28, 2018 3:27 am  

Did you use any refind or apple.efi to do this? I can't seem toget it working 🙁

ReplyQuote
Ceruunos
(@ceruunos)
June 13, 2018 2:36 am  

I specifically set up an account just to tell you that your instructions were hugely helpful to me.  My first attempt failed spectacularly, but once I reset everything and tried your instructions I am now successfully booted into Windows 10 and running my eGPU off the internal laptop panel. Thank you very much.  Using Windows 1803, so outside of Nvidia drivers for my 1050 TI I didn't have to install anything else.  No error 12.

ReplyQuote