2017 27" iMac 5k RP580 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [Gregz0r] // VR gaming  

RSS

Gregz0r
(@gregz0r)
May 16, 2018 7:21 am  

The included AMD Radeon Pro 580 - whilst pretty excellent for ‘flat’ gaming, hovers around the barely acceptable region for VR gaming.

After a lot of digging around, I updated the AKiTiO Node’s firmware here: https://www.akitio.com/firmware/node-firmware

Note: I’m only concerned here with using this in Windows, but this site has extensive tips to get it working in MacOS too.

Then I stumbled on the solution to get things working perfectly...

As well as the eGPU enclosure & card, you need an external monitor, as VR just won’t work properly without one(Oculus Home works, but not many games).

So, you’re in Windows, the eGPU box(via the TB3 connection) is fired up, your Rift/Vive is connected via HDMI directly into the eGPU card, and you have the external display also mirroring your iMac’s display, but VR *still* won’t work, when you fire up the games...

What you need to do, is go into the Display settings, scroll down to the ‘Multiple displays’ section and select the ‘Show only on 2’ option from the drop-down menu(which turns the iMac's display off), confirm the changes, and now, will VR(and non-VR) work properly, with the turbocharged GPU.

System specs

• [System]: Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
  • [OS]: Windows 10 (via Bootcamp)
  • [CPU]: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.3 GHz
  • [GPU]: AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB
  • [RAM]: 24GB DDR4
  • [VR]: Oculus Rift CV1
  • [eGPU Box]: AKiTiO Node
  • [GPU]: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition 11GB GDDR5X

Youtube video of it all working with VR

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 16, 2018 7:34 am  

@gregz0r , thank you for your submission. Would you mind completing the build template for inclusion in the Builds area?

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/build-template/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Gregz0r
(@gregz0r)
May 16, 2018 8:18 am  

Yes I’ll do that later, when I get back from work.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
woowah
(@woowah)
November 16, 2018 5:48 pm  

Hiya, im looking at building a similar set up. Do you have any problems with Akitios PSU not being powerful enough for the 1080TI?

ReplyQuote