2012 12" Lenovo ThinkPad X230T [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1070 TI @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 12" Lenovo ThinkPad X230T [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1070 TI @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win11  

RSS

xanth0k1d
(@xanth0k1d)

REV 0. TO BE UPDATE.

Coming to think about it, 1vyrain might be a must, given I had to lower the iGPU memory/apertures (Memory's fading, can't remember the jargons well...) Will attempt to see if thing work without touching the iGPU memory stuff.

System specs 

Model: THINKPAD X230T

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520m 

iGPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Operating System: Windows 11

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party  TB3 cable , any custom mods)

Enclosure:

PCE164P-N03 PCIE RISER(retired from mining rigs)

USB Expresscard adapter modified as shown here (I bought mine from a random shop in China)

PSU: generic HP server PSU with 12v breakout board

GPU:

GTX 1070 TI, GTX 1060 6GB, RTX 3060 TI

Hardware pictures

NIL for now

Installation steps

Hello everyone, started playing around with my X230 tablet recently, and here's a summary on how I got things working:

Credits first:

George Kushnir - 1vyrain (Memory Remap aka tolud)

@georg_swoboda - HackFlags 0x600 (Uncertain if this helped)

@nando4 - nvidia-error43-fixer script to solve Error Code 43

What do you need?

- Make sure your TOLUD is BFA00000:

Memory Remap and TOLUD (Using 1vyrain will allow you to change the memory remap option, aka Above 4G decoding for miners out there)

Your TOLUD values should match the value below.

[Please login to see this]

*If you are not willing to use 1vyrain, you will need to use DSDT override with EGPU Setup 1.35 software from @nando4

- HackFlags 0x600, uncertain if this has any impacts, but I had them on in the registry anyways.

-Naive PCIE, uncertain if this has any impacts:

[Please login to see this]

Set up procedure:

1. Ensure the TOLUD value is correct via device manager (My TOLUD changed, and I only got it back to BFA00000 after loading default BIOS values, perhaps BFA00000 is the key value)
  2. Switch on power for GPU, plug into running laptop (Should be stuck at code 12)
  3. Install NVIDIA drivers
  4. Unplug GPU and reboot
  5. Login to desktop
  6. Power on GPU, plug GPU into laptop
  7. Now the code should be 43, use nvidia-error43-fixer script by nando to get past it.

Attaching GPUs:

1. Power on GPU, plug GPU into X230 (The minipcie wifi should disconnect and reconnect again, as windows is trying to reallocate memory to gpu)
  2. NVIDIA control panel should be running afterwards

Detaching GPUs:

1. Please click eject VGA device before removing (the place used to eject usb drives) the expresscard connector
  2. DO NOT switch off GPU without ejecting in windows - causes BSOD
  3. DO NOT power on GPU after connecting it to the laptop - causes BSOD as well

Food for thoughts:

TOLUD value is crucial

-When my TOLUD value changed to other than BFA00000, i.e. BF900000, the GPU kept stucking at CODE 43, even after nando's script was executed

Benchmarks

What can you expect from a 3rd gen dual core mobile processor and a GPU on PCIE GEN 2 x 1 lane...

Barely above 50 fps for 1920x1080 pubg, even with RTX 3080. There seems to be a few glitches here and there.

CPU could be bottlenecking as well, but since I'm on 1vyrain, I will be trying to use XTU and bump up the clock a bit to see how things would turn out.

Though I haven't been looking at the CPU temps, I think they are pretty high as well. Accordingly there's a need to strike the balance (My target was 75fps for 1920 x1080 with high in graphics)

Comments

Steam gaming

Integrated graphics should be disabled, otherwise BSOD will occur when games are launched. (dxgmms1.sys)

-Battleye cause BSOD with KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, it was somehow working for a while, currently unresolved.

REGARDING KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

-Clear Steam cache/make sure that you remove all the steam stuff(drivers in program files/common files, stuff in the steam folder)

REGARDING CHANGE OF TOLUD

-I enabled some audio codec processing thing in the 1vyrain, that caused the change in TOLUD

-One can attempt to disable the TPM chip in the BIOS to free up some memory?( Theory only)

Further Plans:

-PCB design for expresscard, with both a usb 2.0 port and a usb 3 port: USB  2.0 for usb data and usb 3 to connect the pcie riser, in theory you can have both usb 2 and pcie running at the same time. (Maybe just change the usb 3 to type c form factor to look cool???)

-acrylic case with those fancy flip switches (NGL, top gun fan here.) to accomodate the psu and gpu, with a 100w pd charger for laptops (Step up the 12v from server psu to maybe 24v and use that to power the power delivery charger)

1. -script based on eventghost to auto disable iGPU when eGPU is connected. (I disabled event viewer personally, hence event ghost)

2012 12" Lenovo ThinkPad X230T [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1070 TI @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win11 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote