2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004  

of  2
  RSS

VoidWhisperer
(@voidwhisperer)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

Screen size: 15.6" (1920x1200)

CPU: 10th gen i7-10750H

iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630

dGPU: NVIDIA GTX 1650ti

OS: Windows 10 2004 (Also previously used Pop_OS with success)

EGPU: Razer Core X w/ GTX 1070 Founder's edition

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party  TB3 cable , any custom mods)

Razer Core X w/ GTX 1070 Founder's edition

Pictures

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

In my case it was pretty much plug-and-play:

1. Slot GTX 1070 into Razer Core X

2. Plug Razer Core X into external display

3. Plug Razer Core X into XPS 15

4. Update to most recent NVIDIA driver and tell windows to connect with EGPU

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Heaven (External)

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

Originally prior to getting this laptop, I was using a Thinkpad P50 with a Quadro M1000M as its dGPU. This was a fairly absymal experience for gaming, even on the lowest settings. Now I'm able to play most of the games I want to on high or near-high at 70-100 FPS, which is much better, and this system as a whole is more portable than my previous attempts at getting decent gaming performance, which is important as I will have to move sometime in the next year or so.

This topic was modified 4 months ago
2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

lwf, itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
vatick
(@vatick)

Are you getting any issues with the XPS and the core where the usb hub on the core would stop working after sleep or a restart? How about any issues regarding how the egpu wouldn't be detected after a restart and you have to restart again?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
VoidWhisperer
(@voidwhisperer)

Posted by: @vatick
Are you getting any issues with the XPS and the core where the usb hub on the core would stop working after sleep or a restart? How about any issues regarding how the egpu wouldn't be detected after a restart and you have to restart again?

I haven't personally had any issues with that, but the version of the core X I have doesn't have a usb hub built into it. Instead, I use a separate powered USB-A to USB-C hub

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
vatick
(@vatick)

@voidwhisperer, What hub did you use?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
VoidWhisperer
(@voidwhisperer)

I use this one

ReplyQuote
gjdass
(@gjdass)

Hi !

Thanks for sharing this.

I just got my Razer Core X Chroma here (plugged with a 1080) to go with my XPS 15 9500 and I must say I'm not 100% happy.

I have stability issues with it, like the eGPU kinda "rebooting"/resetting (causing the external screen and USB peripherals to shut down and then go back up) at random times. Then after 3-4 reboots of the eGPU, error 43 on the 1080 in the Device manager and then I had to reboot Windows.

I had to deactivated in the Device Manager the 1650 Ti and it's better now ... (no more random reboots). Seems like random conflicts between both the cards ?

Still one issue : sometime, when I unplug it to go back to laptop-only mode, the XPS goes black with just the mouse (and spotify still going on in the background etc). But nothing to do ... I must hard-reboot it by pressing the power button for 20sec.

So if I may ask a couple of questions since you have an XPS 15 9500 as well :

• Do you have such problems ?
  • Did you let the 1650 Ti enabled ?
  • Do you always plug AC adapter in addition to the TB3 cable or do you plug only the TB3 cable (since it delivers 100W) ?

Thanks a lot for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Eugene
(@eugene_1)

Hi guys, I've just got my new 9500 and I'm trying to figure out if it works properly with my Asus ROG Station Pro and GTX 1080.

The good thing is that the Heaven test looks OK, please take a look here:

https://ibb.co/pZBHZ3Q

Now bad things:

1.RDR2 seems to run at 30-35 FPS on Ultra and 40-45 FPS on Medium.

2. RDR2 seems to detect only 4GB of video memory of my 1080 instead of 8GB. WTF?

My previous 9575 detected 8GB of video memory and was playable around 50 FPS on Medium.

So, something is definitely not right here, please help me to figure out what exactly

p.s. sorry, Heaven is underperforming too 🙁

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@eugene_1

Here’s some general help desk type info. 

Check that Windows Power Mode and Nvidia Control Panel settings are set to Best Performance.

Use a standard 18” length TB3 cable (included with your enclosure)

Do your gaming on an external display for eGPU performance.

If you previously were using a Thunderbolt docking station with your laptop, you’ll need to adjust your BIOS to work properly with your eGPU.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Eugene
(@eugene_1)

Thanks for the tip! Question about external display. Will it make that much difference comparing to my laptop display?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@eugene_1

Definitely, you'll have a much better experience gaming on an external display attached to your GTX 1080

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
 of  2