2018 Mac mini ITX Tower - Phanteks Evolv Shift X  

of  4
  RSS

ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Awesome idea! Congratulations

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Estimable Member

@itsage A black or grey modular PSU would make your build 110% complete. Mr. Green

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@omardesu Totally! The silver casing and ketchup/mustard cables don't go well with other components at all. I had that spare SFX when I swapped out the PSU in the Mantiz Venus so that it could handle the RX Vega 64 LC

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 6600 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + macOS 12.1 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
largerdanlife
(@largerdanlife)

Wow, cool build. I wish the Mac Pro wasn't so expensive but maybe I should look into something similar like this build here. 😀

2015 11” MacBook Air [5th, 2C, U] + ASUS Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.14.6

2015 11" MacBook Air [5th,2C,U] + Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@scott_brookes)

I really like this.....

Have you considered removing the case from around the mini to improve airflow?

Maybe even consider making a custom loop to the CPU and GPU

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@scott_brookes, The RAM slots sit at an angle and takes up a lot of space on top of the CPU. With the metal shield on, it's too little room for a water block.

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 6600 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + macOS 12.1 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@grady_galbraith)

Hi @itsage,

I'm looking to do a similar case mod, with a different case. Should be a fun project! I do have a question for you. With the Mantis Venus PSU and fan connectors, are they able to automatically turn off when the computer goes to sleep mode? I'm looking to hook up a handful of PWM fans that are included with the case, but I want them to turn off when the computer goes to sleep. Thanks, and great work.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@grady_galbraith, This is a tricky question that has no real definitive answer. Each Thunderbolt firmware dictates the behavior of components such as the fans during suspend mode. In my particular Mantiz Venus TBT mainboard, I connected the fans to the two headers and sleeping behavior was fine for the most part. The odd behavior was likely due to macOS sleep mode. You can also try a USB fan adapter or a fan controller.

ReplyQuote
(@grady_galbraith)

@itsage

Thanks for your response! When I posted my question I realized the last reply was from two years ago I wan't holding out hope! Just to clarify, you experienced the fans staying on with macOS sleep mode? That's too bad, hmm. I don't suppose you happen to know if the SATA power stayed on? Also, google doesn't seem to know if the USB ports on the Mini 2018 turn off when the machine goes to sleep. As long as they do, I can always just power the fans off of USB, knowing that power will be cut right from the mini. So in your experience, do the USB ports turn off in sleep mode?

Thank you again, my friend.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@grady_galbraith, I didn't really investigate the USB ports in sleep mode, but the USB ports through the Mantiz Venus daughterboard don't provide power when the host computer is OFF/sleep. You can try both and see how they work. My observation with macOS in recent years is that the system would run certain tasks during sleep. This may trigger the connected peripheral/fans to kick on.

ReplyQuote
 of  4