3D Printed Enclosure for Gigabyte GTX1060 and EXP GDC Beast v8  

RSS

ZodiusInfuser
(@zodiusinfuser)
May 7, 2017 1:31 pm  

Over the past month I have been working on getting an eGPU setup working with my Asus laptop using an EXP GDC Beast v8.3e. After figuring out all of the configuration and doing the necessary hardware modification (see implementation thread), I set to work on designing an enclosure for it to cleanup the whole setup. The main requirements were that it should be relatively compact, securely hold the GPU by the rear bracket, and have a USB hub to take advantage of the USB on the Beast v8 (more on this later).

Here's what it looks like:

A full album of images of the enclosure can be found here:  http://imgur.com/a/CIEbj

The final design consists of 5 parts: A bottom, front, back, and the two sides. For printing I used an Ultimaker 2 at my University's print studio as I don't yet own a machine for myself. Unfortunately, despite modelling the parts to fit within the build volume of the U2, the largest pieces just would not fit, meaning I had to halve them and glue them together. This is why there is a seam down the middle of the enclosure.

In terms of the USB hub, although I was able to get it to fit in nicely so as to offer two front and two internal ports, I was unable to get the USB on the Beast v8 working. This seems to echo reports I have read throughout this forum, which unfortunately I only came across after adding the hub. For the next version of the enclosure I'll either remove the USB entirely, or use the spare 12V from the GPU cable to create a charging hub instead.

I will likely be making a v2 of this enclosure to fix the few problems I have already mentioned. I would also like to add white LED lighting to it mainly so I can see whether the fans are spinning or not. I did consider having some kind of LCD readout on the front of the enclosure for this, using an Arduino, but without USB to the enclosure (I don't really want to add an extra cable), the only other option is to have a small secondary HDMI monitor attached. I would also like to make the enclosure slightly smaller, which now I have a version for reference, should not be too hard to achieve. I'll be sure to keep you posted on any developments. If you have any questions / comments, please post them below.

Cheers!

T430up, MýnÆnglishTáwk, Flint Ironstag and 10 people liked
ReplyQuote
FunkyMike
(@funkymike)
May 16, 2017 4:25 pm  

That looks really nice.. good job!!

Out of interest.. is it actually possible to print a thicker casing to be able to sand it down without damaging the integrity of the actual case?

Would be really cool to give something like this a smooth surface.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Honorable Member
May 17, 2017 8:21 am  

Wow congratulations, it is awesome!

eGPU.it | LG 34" 4K 34UC88 curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
ZodiusInfuser
(@zodiusinfuser)
May 21, 2017 9:27 pm  
Posted by: FunkyMike

That looks really nice.. good job!!

Out of interest.. is it actually possible to print a thicker casing to be able to sand it down without damaging the integrity of the actual case?  

Thanks guys! The quality of the print is not that great due to the setting the University printers used. I have since ordered my own machine that should be arriving soon so I can play about with settings to get the quality higher for V2. If that is not enough then sanding the parts down to get better results is totally possible. I've seen many videos online of that being done, and even painted at the end so they don't look like normal 3d printed objects. I personally don't mind the 3D printed style though, as it makes for an interesting talking point.

ReplyQuote
skudoo
(@skudoo)
June 22, 2017 11:39 pm  

Any chance you can upload the design to thingverse? I'd love to take a look at how you executed this.

ReplyQuote
Runamok81
(@runamok81)
February 19, 2018 12:42 am  

Another vote for uploading this to Thingverse. Share the love!

ReplyQuote
ZodiusInfuser
(@zodiusinfuser)
July 1, 2018 5:58 pm  

Hi All. I thought I would come back to update you all on this project.

It has been over a year since I showed this enclosure off, and during that time it has gone through multiple iterations based on my experiences using it at LAN events. Here are the main changes:

• Reduced width by 5mm
  • Made the GPU mounting sturdier (old one would come loose and make the GPU shake during transport)
  • Added a 3-port USB charger (up to 2.5A) at the front for powering peripherals that don't need data
  • Exposed the Beast's USB port (for if your cable is an expresscard version or has been modded like I tried)
  • Added a power override switch for forcing the GPU to turn on (or stay on in the event of a dodgy connection)
  • Added RGB lighting! The controller is on the front panel and an extension cable allows external LEDs to be plugged in at the rear (all powered off the USB charger)

Here's what the new version looks like:

And with that, I am pleased to say the files for the new version are now available on Thingiverse!  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2974854

Along with this enclosure, I have released two other Things that I use as part of my LAN setup. One is a 5" Mini Monitor I connect to the eGPU to run GPU-Z and Task Manager on, as with 10 series cards its often not clear if the card is working properly until the fans spin up. Also, some underglow for my laptop stand that is driven off the RGB controller built in to this enclosure. You can find the links below:

And, here's what my LAN setup looks like when they're all put together.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
MýnÆnglishTáwk
(@mynenglishtawk)
Eminent Member
July 1, 2018 7:01 pm  

That looks greatly good, ond even more so when it is switched on.
Thank you well for showing us some shots of the full setup.

My Homemade Gaming Laptop

My webside showing my laptop

ReplyQuote