Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
4-GPU success with Cubix + Aki Node + MSI GT80S Dual 980

4-GPU success with Cubix + Aki Node + MSI GT80S Dual 980  

RSS

mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member

4-GPU proof of concept using a dual GPU laptop, an Aki Node and a Cubix X-Pander (will replace Node with Sonnet SEL for added portability)

- MSI GT80S - $1650, used, eBay

- Cubix (4/2 single/double) X-Pander - $565, like new (eBay auction), comes with built-in 1200W (yep 1200W!) PSU

- Aki Node - $299, new, Amazon

Objective: an eGPU for my team to pass around, no messing or worry about separate computer to maintain or additional software  licensing issues

Caveat:

- no SLI 🙂

- only GPU driver can be loaded to minimize conflict (boots to black screen otherwise)

- Must use different model GPU in the Cubix-  Windows 10 disables the second 1080 Ti when two of these cards are installed

- 5-15 % performance loss when compared with similar 4-GPU setup using 2 dual GPU laptops over the network

IMG 2225

01 - Device Manager, Fan Speed and Temp

IMG 2223

02 - The Cubix X-Pander

IMG 2224

03 - Size Comparison: Aki T3, Aki Node, Cubix

IMG 2226

04 - GTX 1080 Ti (3584 cores) and GTX 680 (1536 cores)

IMG 2227

05 - Another view of the GPUs installed in the Cubix

Link to Cubix X-Pander

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/835865-REG/Cubix_XPDT_X8_242_OSV_8_Channels_GPU_Xpander_Desktop.html

2015 17" MSI GT73VR-6RF 2xGTX1070 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node driving Cubix Chassis) + Win10 > 365Gigahashes per second

ReplyQuote
vava726
(@vava726)
Estimable Member

What software are you using for wpa forensic ?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member

Posted by: vava726

What software are you using for wpa forensic ?

Passcape Wireless Password Recovery

2015 17" MSI GT73VR-6RF 2xGTX1070 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node driving Cubix Chassis) + Win10 > 365Gigahashes per second

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
vava726
(@vava726)
Estimable Member

Can you post the result of CUDA-Z ,please ?  For Scienze lol

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member

Posted by: vava726

Can you post the result of CUDA-Z ,please ?  For Scienze lol

CUDA-Z

CUDA Z

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member

UPDATE: GPU limitation has been lifted! At least for MSI, having more than one eGPU via thunderbolt will no longer result in error code 12! See note below:

---

No DSDT fix needed!!! I asked an MSI BIOS genius to unlock the MSI BIOS, enabled Thunderbolt Boot Support switched Thunderbolt security from unique ID to legacy, and boom!!! Both 1080 Ti are active without error code 12!!!

FINALLY!!! Thanks to EGPU member, SKY!!!

FINALLY ALL4GPUACTIVE

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sushka1601
(@sushka1601)

Hi! If it is posibble, could you tell me,if it is worth buying GTX 1080 TI for GT80S 6QF Titan SLI like egpu? Will it outperform 2 GTX980(8GB each) wich are originally installed if I use an external monitor? Is it possible to have to egpu TI's in sli?(previously you have written that it is impossible) 

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Sushka1601

Hi! If it is posibble, could you tell me,if it is worth buying GTX 1080 TI for GT80S 6QF Titan SLI like egpu? Will it outperform 2 GTX980(8GB each) wich are originally installed if I use an external monitor? Is it possible to have to egpu TI's in sli?(previously you have written that it is impossible) 

As I've mentioned in other posts, for gaming, due to Thunderbolt 3 limits, there is no benefit to installing a 1080 Ti. SLI doesn't work through eGPU.

Even if SLI works, data traffic through Thunderbolt will choke any speed increase, unless someone invents a sophisticated algorithm to compensate for the limited bandwidth.

Imagine a Ferrari in downtown traffic during rush hour. Or hundreds of supercars trying to use a single lane autobahn at the same time.

The current state of eGPU through Thunderbolt  is capped at GTX 1070 at the most (I suspect this is being overly generous). It is only really meant for systems with integrated and/or weak internal discrete graphics (cough*A*M*D*cough).

What we need is a true replacement for PCIE and clunky, bulky cables that go with it. Or, the PCIE architecture is fully translated into Thunderbolt.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sushka1601
(@sushka1601)

Thanks a lot for such quick response!!

ReplyQuote
markozutic
(@markozutic)

1080ti can have most on Alienware laptops with alienware gpu apmplifier as that one uses propitiatory connection that is direct PCIE to the cpu, while thunderbolt is 99% like this
CPU-PCIE-PCH-PCIE-Thunderbolt CHIP- TB cable - TB chip- GPU, and not only that is slower but it also brings in latency as those chips are not realtime. so if your main goal is gaming, then you will feel some input lag, and you will have lower fps, as gpu cant use all x4 lanes, because storage and other chips also use PCH chip to communicate with CPU, so you're down to x2 or x3 at best in practise with thunderbolt.
also this video shows in practise how eaven alienware x4 weak compared to full flag pc

ReplyQuote