Share:

5-GPU success with Cubix + Aki Node + daisy chain with Aki T3 with MSI GT73VR SLI dual 1070  

RSS

mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member
May 28, 2017 6:22 am  

I thought I'd create a follow up post to put it out there- eGPU daisy chain works!

No voodoo- once the MSI BIOS was unlocked and Thunderbolt security switched to Legacy Thunderbolt Boot Support set to Enable, now I have 5 GPUs active without incurring error code 12 hell!!

Once another Cubix bargain pops up, I'll see if I can have 6 GPUs active. I now think using the Cube3 (add up to 4 GPU) Thunderbolt chassis from maxexpansion can also work (without incurring error code 12).

Another potential solution is two Aki Node + two Aki T3 + custom enclosure (Micro ATX or ATX case) = 4 GPU Thunderbolt chassis.

Enjoy:

FINALLY ALL5GPUACTIVE

2015 17" MSI GT73VR-6RF 2xGTX1070 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node driving Cubix Chassis) + Win10 > 365Gigahashes per second

theitsage, Flint Ironstag, goalque and 1 people liked
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member
May 31, 2017 9:27 am  

Update 01: Yes, even with x4 bandwith stretched to the limit, it works (90 billion pp/s)

Note: The user account with exposed password is test/non-production, in case you're wondering.

New Benchmark

Update 02:

Okay, you're probably wondering- what is this guy building? I needed something similar to the GPU Powerstation (see link below) in a "portable" or mobile package- check out the price! 🙂

www.digitalintelligence.com/products/gpupowerstation/

---

UPDATE: Supermicro server DOA. 🙁

Thankfully, I was able to stuff the Cubix with two 1080 Ti and a 1080 without error code 12. Cuda core count and performance surpasses the sub-9k GPU digital intelligence GPU Power Station.

I am also building my own GPU powerstation out of this guy:

Supermicro SuperWorkstation SYS-7048GR-TR Server

2015 17" MSI GT73VR-6RF 2xGTX1070 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node driving Cubix Chassis) + Win10 > 365Gigahashes per second

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
May 31, 2017 3:20 pm  

Good to see!  Are you having any issues with throttling, etc, and is your system still responsive under load?

Yeah, pricing on these things is beyond extortionate.  Would love it if you did a build thread from start to finish.  I think it's doable within a much smaller budget.  Also check out the Hashcat hardware forum.  Tons of building and critiquing happening over there.

https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-13.html

For the ultimate test when finished, compare your rates against their preconfigured boxes!

https://sagitta.pw/hardware/

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member
June 1, 2017 7:26 pm  
Posted by: Flint Ironstag

Good to see!  Are you having any issues with throttling, etc, and is your system still responsive under load?

Yeah, pricing on these things is beyond extortionate.  Would love it if you did a build thread from start to finish.  I think it's doable within a much smaller budget.  Also check out the Hashcat hardware forum.  Tons of building and critiquing happening over there.

https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-13.html

For the ultimate test when finished, compare your rates against their preconfigured boxes!

https://sagitta.pw/hardware/

Thanks Flint- there are still kinks that needs to be worked out.

Initial run showed 188 GH/s in haschcat

I prefer commercial products- Hash Suite Pro shows 220G or 220 billion hashes per second, which translates to cracking 8 character alphanumeric symbol NTLM within 24 hours.

I'm not in it for the benchmark, just something that can decrypt in reasonable time while at a client site.

---

UPDATE: No slowdown so far. I'm not sure if GPU throttling is as much issue for hash decryption as it is for gaming.

Potential solution if throttling is a concern is to get a GPU with built-in watercooling. I've flogged an EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID GAMING and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 XTREME Gaming Water Cooling Video Card (GV-N1080XTREME W-8GD) to brute force for a few days straight and temps stayed in mid fifties. This is when I was testing a Node only setup. When the Clevo arrives with its two Thunderbolt ports, I may go back to this setup.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
June 1, 2017 8:22 pm  

That's what makes this so exciting.  Daisy chain a couple of enclosures to a laptop and you no longer need (some still will of course) a cluster of rack mounted machines.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/25-gpu-cluster-cracks-every-standard-windows-password-in-6-hours/

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member
June 2, 2017 3:21 pm  

That's what makes this so exciting.  Daisy chain a couple of enclosures to a laptop and you no longer need (some still will of course) a cluster of rack mounted machines.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/25-gpu-cluster-cracks-every-standard-windows-password-in-6-hours/

Yup. There's potential for two Sonnet Echo Express SEL, two Cubix (Cubices?), stuff the Cubix to the max, hook up to a dual GPU laptop...

...and you have a

mobile 8-GPU eGPU monster.

Or of course, ax the Sonnet, substitute the two Cubix for a Cube3 from MaxExpansion and still have a respectable 6-GPU config.

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member
June 4, 2017 9:51 am  

Update 02: GPU throttling at 84 C.

Remedy: Tweaked the CPU temp limit in the BIOS and used MSI Afterburner to tweak the GPUs. Decryption speed now stable at 262 GHs/p/s. 🙂

6 GPU Setup

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
June 5, 2017 8:45 pm  

Very, very nice.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
July 15, 2017 7:09 pm  

Just curious how the rig's going.  Depending on your licensing situation, you may be able to save a ton of money with a portable rig, too.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
mcarver316
(@mcarver316)
Estimable Member
July 15, 2017 7:38 pm  

Just curious how the rig's going.  Depending on your licensing situation, you may be able to save a ton of money with a portable rig, too.

Here's what she looks like at the moment:

franken01

franken02

franken03

ReplyQuote
xqzt
 xqzt
(@xqzt)
November 1, 2017 5:42 pm  

Wow crazy setup.  I have the same laptop except mine is a single gtx 1070. I was wondering if you can post the CUDA-Z scores? Just to see if the bandwidth is not bottlenecked and if its worth using an external GPU. Thanks @mcarver316

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote