Alienware proprietary eGPU cable in DIY enclosure.

Notifications
Clear all

Alienware proprietary eGPU cable in DIY enclosure.  

RSS

CZ_aviator
(@cz_aviator)

Sooo, to start I’m fairly new to whole eGPU community. I own and use Alienware 17 R3 with is equipped with Thunderbolt 3 and Alienware proprietary connector. (From now on AWP, if I may)

I’ve seen some tests that showed that connection via AWP is faster than via TB 3 because it connects directly to CPU rather than passing thru motherboard. Also if I use AWP I’ll have free TB3 to use for external SSDs I plan to get.

I also really like the idea of making my own case so I can fit any GPU I want, play with a design and maybe change some stuff later on. Also I really like using stuff I made and putting my newly found experience to use in another projects.

Now for the question I have, do you know about some way to connect GPU in DIY enclosure via AWP or is this just to overcomplicated and I should either use TB3 or get AW graphics amplifier?

Thanks for your time you had to spend reading this and I wish everybody great day.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@cz_aviator, If you were to build something DIY, go with an M.2 eGPU adapter such as ADT-Link R43SG. I have paired my AW13R3 with three eGPUs using AGA connector, Thunderbolt 3 port, and M.2 socket [build link]. All three can run concurrently and AGA connection is best. You can check out my review of the Alienware Graphics Amplifier from summer 2017.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
CZ_aviator
(@cz_aviator)

@itsage, Thank you for your advice.

I have one more question if you may, sorry if it was asked and answered somewhere else.

When I use eGPU, for instance, with 550W power supply can I efficiently use GPU that requires more power than that (something like 650W)? Also dump question but I rather ask dump questions than cry later...If I use significantly less power demanding GPU with high wattage power supply, can’t I burn it by any chance (Assumed that I wire everything correctly)?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@cz_aviator, Most GPU specs are assuming full desktop power requirement. 550W PSU is sufficient for many graphics cards. Avoid RX Vega 64 and high-end ones.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
CZ_aviator
(@cz_aviator)

@itsage, Oky, thank you.

ReplyQuote