ATX Case Build for Mac Mini + 5700xt + R43SG-TB3 + RGB Fan Controller (TBD)

Notifications
Clear all

ATX Case Build for Mac Mini + 5700xt + R43SG-TB3 + RGB Fan Controller (TBD)  

RSS

Fiesta5ever
(@fiesta5ever)

I've finally decided to put my system in a case!

Haven't purchased it yet... but i've decided to get the Thermaltake Level 20 VT ATX Case. Looks perfect for mounting my gpu upright on the R43SG-TB3 and the Mac Mini should fit nicely on the motherboard tray. Additionally, will leave room for my WD Black 8TB drive in the bottom of the case. 750W PSU will obviously mount in the bottom as well.

My next step is to figure out how best to power the fans. I'd like to get RGB fans but i'm concerned about the software compatibility. Typically, RGB controllers have mini-USB to USB header on the motherboard. My feeling is that I should be able to replace the stock cable (mini-USB to 9pin USB header) with a mini-USB to USB 2.0 male cable and plug directly into my Mac.

Example RGB Controller: Thermaltake Pure Plus 12

Video Demo: Youtube Link

Would be great to get feedback from the community. Has anyone attempted anything similar? Specifically powering RGB Fans on psu only, with the ability to access software without attaching USB header to a motherboard.

Let me know you're thoughts and opinions. Feel free to reply with further questions about my system.

Thanks!

2018 Mac Mini - ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - Red Devil RX 5700 xt

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@fiesta5ever, A cube shaped ATX case will give you plenty of room. I installed the 2018 Mac mini inside an ITX case, Phanteks Evolv Shift X last year [build link]. It's a fun project and you'll love the end result.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fiesta5ever
(@fiesta5ever)

@itsage, Yes i followed your build closely. Turned out pretty cool.

Previously, i've been hesitant to put my system in a case mainly because of the cost. I sometimes regret not purchasing the Razer Core. Or even selling the Mac to pay for a complete PC system. But ultimately, i've grown to love having my 5700xt sitting on my desk and see it as savings in the long term.

I was originally gifted the Mac Mini so decided to get into egpu hobby to make the best of it. My goal is to eventually put the components of my diy egpu into an actual PC rig. But i'm having fun with what i've got so far.

2018 Mac Mini - ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - Red Devil RX 5700 xt

itsage liked
ReplyQuote