Custom case for GTX 1060 and Brix Pro mini pc together

Notifications
Clear all

Custom case for GTX 1060 and Brix Pro mini pc together  

RSS

stulowe
(@stulowe)

of a new custom case built to house the Gigabyte Brix Pro and 1060 I setup a couple of weeks ago. All the benchmarks and game testing for this one was featured in this video:

Description

Recently I paired a Gigabyte Brix Pro mini pc and a GTX 1060 over a mini pci express connection through an EXP GDC adapter. It performed exceptionally well. You can see the video of the set-up, game testing and benchmarking here:  

I decided the existing enclosure needed some improvement and with a computer this small I figured I could put the whole lot in a case together. 

It is now finished (just about) and looking really great. The case is built from a cheap $8 perspex case which was changed around a fair amount and spray painted.

The video card mounts out of the side of this case and fits nicely. Unfortunately the power cable for the video card still goes in vertically which is not ideal but could be fixed by using a riser cable to mount the egpu adapter facing out the rear.

The motherboard, msata ssd, and other components from the brix pro are really quite compact. Especially as this has a quad core i5 desktop cpu. 

Two hinges were designed and 3D printed to make the components easily accessible. These work well and can hold the lid upright if working on the inside components.

The power button was a real victory of lazy design. I didn’t feel like wiring a new switch so instead printed this button. It neatly fits around the heat sink and sits perfectly in the hexagonal holes. Works great.

No issues with port access at the back and I reused the metal back plate from inside the original case. 

I figure this is about one of the best size to power ratios you can currently build yourself outside of buying expensive pre-built mini gaming machines like the zotac magnus series.

Screen Shot 2017 02 02 at 1.57.47 AM
Screen Shot 2017 02 02 at 1.58.35 AM
Screen Shot 2017 02 02 at 1.58.14 AM
Screen Shot 2017 02 02 at 1.57.32 AM
Screen Shot 2017 02 02 at 1.57.04 AM
2016 ASRock Beebox-s [6th,2C,U] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 9.0b) + Win10 [build link]  

ikir, nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Awesome build! Thank you for sharing.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
survfate
(@survfate)
Eminent Member

Damn, now I want to get a NUC 😛

2012 15" ASUS K55VJ (GT635M) [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
moekloar
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member

i want to build a case from wood for my exp gdc 8.4d and my MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X. your first case looks really nice and simple. what is it made of?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@nick_anderegg)

• So I just started a build I got a brix dirt cheap and alot parts stashed gonna post a build soon and I have some questions for you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote