Notifications
Clear all

DIY TB3 eGPU + RTX3060 Ti  

RSS

Haschtl Unde
(@haschtl_unde)

I just built my own eGPU case and wanted to share my experience:

Setup:

• WAVLINK Thunderbolt 3 to NGFF NVMe PCI-E   (~120€)
  • ADT-Link R43SG PCI-E to NVMe Adapter (~45€)
  • AORUS GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti MASTER 8G (~600€)
  • Some BeQuiet ATX power supply (550W)
  • My DIY-Case (~25€ for the wood only - you will still need some glue, tools and screws)

In total thats around 190€ for the case + whatever for your graphic card

Note: Prices do vary a lot depending on your country/the shop (you may find cheaper ones on aliexpress)

Building the case is pretty straightforward if you have some experience with processing wood.

After I connected everything, I was surprised, that everything worked right out of the box, I only had to reinstall my Nvidia drivers with the card connected, so that my computer could identify the RTX3060Ti (My laptop has an inbuilt graphics card - thats why i had to reinstall it instead of install).

Now I want to share with you my benchmarks. I made them rather quickly, thats why there is some fluctuation between the tests.

My Laptop Specs:

I made the benchmarks (userbenchmark.com) with the following configurations:

It surprised my that I can reach almost the average performance of an RTX3060Ti with an external monitor (128% of avg. 132%)

And also if i'm using the laptop monitor, the GPU bench is 108%, which is about 19% performance drop compared to the average.

What do you think?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

CZ_aviator and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
CZ_aviator
(@cz_aviator)

@haschtl_unde

Hello, first of all, thank you for the post I’ve wanted to try something really similar so I’m glad to see I’m not first and that you had such good results. 

With that being said I’m really new to eGPU in general and I’ve been thinking.....you use 550W power supply but I’ve found that recommended amount of power by the creator of graphic card is 650W. Is this causing problems for you? Or am I just wrong and 650W is meant to be for entire setups with this GPU?

Oh and have a great day!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fady
 Fady
(@fady)

Interesting results, If I may ask, can you provide Firestrike or Portroyale benchmark results.

ReplyQuote