Notifications
Clear all

DIY TB3 eGPU + RTX3060 Ti  

RSS

Haschtl Unde
(@haschtl_unde)

I just built my own eGPU case and wanted to share my experience:

Setup:

• WAVLINK Thunderbolt 3 to NGFF NVMe PCI-E   (~120€)
  • ADT-Link R43SG PCI-E to NVMe Adapter (~45€)
  • AORUS GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti MASTER 8G (~600€)
  • Some BeQuiet ATX power supply (550W)
  • My DIY-Case (~25€ for the wood only - you will still need some glue, tools and screws)

In total thats around 190€ for the case + whatever for your graphic card

Note: Prices do vary a lot depending on your country/the shop (you may find cheaper ones on aliexpress)

Building the case is pretty straightforward if you have some experience with processing wood.

After I connected everything, I was surprised, that everything worked right out of the box, I only had to reinstall my Nvidia drivers with the card connected, so that my computer could identify the RTX3060Ti (My laptop has an inbuilt graphics card - thats why i had to reinstall it instead of install).

Now I want to share with you my benchmarks. I made them rather quickly, thats why there is some fluctuation between the tests.

My Laptop Specs:

I made the benchmarks (userbenchmark.com) with the following configurations:

It surprised my that I can reach almost the average performance of an RTX3060Ti with an external monitor (128% of avg. 132%)

And also if i'm using the laptop monitor, the GPU bench is 108%, which is about 19% performance drop compared to the average.

What do you think?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags