Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
iMac 5k 2017 Razer Core X & external display with only 2xT3 ports. HOW? Confused...

iMac 5k 2017 Razer Core X & external display with only 2xT3 ports. HOW? Confused.  

RSS

Mypetfrog
(@mypetfrog)

Considering getting a Razer Core X to use with both a Macbook Pro and an iMac with an old 1080ti with the main use being to speed up video editing in Davinci Resolve 16.

The setup with the 2016 Macbook Pro (with 460pro gpu) is obviously simple and straightforward. 

BUT....The confusion lies with also using the eGPU with my iMac 5k 2017!

So it has 2 x T3 ports, one currently being used to drive an external BenQ monitor and the other to run a Caldigit Thunderbolt3 4bay Hard drive enclosure.

Obviously I need both existing T3 ports so wondering if I just Unplug the external monitor and then plug the monitor into the DVI/DP on the back of the 1080ti in the Razer Core X

Is that how it works? If not then I'll somehow need to find another option to connect my external monitor. Any suggestions? 

So for the iMac 5K 2017, is the only option to buy a T3 dock such as the Caldigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3? or can I just plug the external BenQ monitor into the back of the 1080Ti card in the Razer Core X? And still use both the BenQ external display and INternal iMac screen as usual?  Just trying to work out the connections before buying.

Thanks! 

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mypetfrog
(@mypetfrog)

So for the iMac 5K 2017, is the only option to buy a T3 dock such as the Caldigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3? or can I just plug the external BenQ monitor into the back of the 1080Ti card in the Razer Core X? And still use both the BenQ external display and INternal iMac screen as usual?  Just trying to work out the connections before buying.  Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Caldigit TS3 Plus remains in the same TB3 port. The eGPU will use the second TB3 port and drive the Benq monitor off of it (preferably through DisplayPort cable).

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Mypetfrog
(@mypetfrog)

Posted by: itsage

The Caldigit TS3 Plus remains in the same TB3 port. The eGPU will use the second TB3 port and drive the Benq monitor off of it (preferably through DisplayPort cable).

Thanks.  So just move the BenQ monitor from Thunderbolt 3 from iMac to the DisplayPort directly from the 1080Ti?  Is it that simple?  

So no need for TS3 plus?

Cheers

ReplyQuote