Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Put AMD FirePro D300 on external case?

Put AMD FirePro D300 on external case?  

RSS

pacogp
(@pacogp)

Hi guys!

I have an old Mac Pro late 2013, and recently searching for upgrade it or renew with a new Mac mini I have found this awesome site!

Could be a good idea to use both my FirePro D300 in an external egpu for the new Mac mini? because the available upgrades for my Mac Pro late 2013 does not feel very good really?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

The MacPro 2013 GPUs aren't standard PCIe cards. I don't think anyone's made an adapter that can use them.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+Graphics+Card+Replacement/21208
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013/9

This post was modified 1 week ago

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

pacogp liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The trashcan won’t boot without Graphics Card B which also hosts the internal PCIe flash drive. As @joevt said, there’s no adapter to use the proprietary FirePro DX00 graphics cards in an enclosure. Your best bet is to pair a standard PCIe Radeon card with a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. You’d need a software unlock such as Purge-Wrangler to use the eGPU with the 2013 Mac Pro. Here’s an example of my 2013 Mac Pro running with Mantiz Venus + Radeon VII eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

pacogp liked
ReplyQuote
pacogp
(@pacogp)

@itsage

Thanks for all the info, this is really hard to me, maybe the easy way is to sell my Mac Pro late 2013 and get the Mac mini new one.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

I bought the cheapest Mac mini 2018 (3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3). It has faster single and multi thread scores in Geek Bench 5 than my Mac Pro 2008 (2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon). Check the benchmarks to see how well a Mac mini will compare with your Mac Pro 2013.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote