(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Overview:

• Exclusive for eGPU.io members
  • Quantity available: 100 units
  • Sales channel: Amazon
  • Sign-up period: August 13th - 21st
  • Coupon valid period: August 22nd - 26th

This group buy is available internationally. You may have to order through the Amazon US store for the coupon to take effect. Please be aware of power cable spec; you may need an adapter plug to use outside the US. For international shipping, extra fees (custom/VAT) may be applicable depending on your delivery address.

Highlights:

• 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 active 40Gbps cable
  • Quiet mode at idle & light load, fans off 0dB
  • Anodized space gray aluminum body panels
  • Capable of hosting GTX 1080 Ti/RX Vega 56
  • Expansion USB-C10 port (USB 3.1 gen 2)

The ASUS XG Station Pro is the coolest and quietest eGPU enclosure currently available. Power Delivery at 15W is perhaps its only weakness. I've tested a wide range of cards with this enclosure and while the 330W power adapter can't handle Vega 64, it's more than capable of powering the GTX 1080 Ti and RX Vega 56. The included 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable is a nice touch and an added value. To learn more about this eGFX, read my XG Station Pro review.

I've paired the XG Station Pro with Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pros running Nvidia and AMD in both macOS and Windows Boot Camp. My most recent build with the STRIX Vega 56 allows me to power one HP 5K monitor and two LG 4K monitors. In terms of value, the XG Station Pro + STRIX Vega 56 costs $750 and outperforms the $700 Blackmagic eGPU significantly.

If you'd to sign up for this group buy, please let us know in the comment. Once we reach 100 member sign ups or end of day on August 21st, I will update the list of names. You will receive a PM/email with the coupon code to make the purchase on Amazon US store.

Group Buy List:

1. @eightarmedpet
  2. @saschamt
  3. @grassright
  4. @jim_c
  5. @rowan17
  6. @karm
  7. @skwrl495
  8. @yurk
  9. @chronograph
  10. @richard_parsons_rich
  11. @microsoft_accounts
  12. @recyclops
  13. @honkusmaximus

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2018 2:47 am nando4 liked
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
saschamt
(@saschamt)

Sign me up  😀

Actually need to revoke this.. Cost of shipping and customs will be too much to get this thing to Germany.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2018 9:39 am theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Here's the unboxing post of the XG Station Pro.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2018 3:23 am
grassright
(@grassright)

Please sign me up.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2018 10:55 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@saschamt No worries. @grassright I added you to the list.

I've seen some feedback on Reddit 15W Power Delivery is a deal breaker. I'd like to hear what you think the XG Station Pro should have featured to make it an instant buy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 2:28 pm
(@jim_c)

I'd like to sign up as well. The look is great, not ridiculous "gaming" look. Having a USB-C is essential to use as a complete dock on laptops with only one TB3 port.

Although I do think it should have more than 15W of PD, at least when there's spare. I haven't seen probably won't buy any laptop with only one TB3/USB-C port without DC input, so doesn't seem like more of an inconvenience.

Instant buy? Same price, having another several regular USB ports, ethernet, good PD, solid solution for the Y-cables, and support for professional GPUs. Might as well add an 2.5'' drive slot to the list.

I'd also like to know if this would work with an older TB2 laptop with an adapter. Said TB2 laptop (Zbook 15 G2) has Error 12 with Expresscard EXP GDC.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 3:25 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@jim_c You are on the list. Thank you for the feedback on feature improvements. The best Thunderbolt adapter is Apple USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt.  I believe @Yukikaze had a similar laptop working with TB3 enclosure through the adapter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 4:54 pm
(@rowan17)

I'd love a code! Looking forward to pairing this with my Lenovo P50 and a 1080 for (hopefully) decent VR performance on the go. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 4:54 pm Recyclops and theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@rowan17 I added your name. Lenovo P50 + GTX 1080 + XG Station Pro would make a nice VR setup. Please share your build once you have it running.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 4:57 pm Rowan17 liked
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
Posted by: theitsage

The best Thunderbolt adapter is Apple USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt.  I believe @Yukikaze had a similar laptop working with TB3 enclosure through the adapter.

Yup, I ran a ZBook G2 15 with a Mantiz Venus (should work with other TB3 enclosures too): some details are here.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 4:59 pm theitsage liked
(@rowan17)

Thank you, will do! Have been wanting to try this setup for a while and am excited to give it a shot now that the newest TB3 firmware for the P50 reports eGPU compatibility. Given 64GB of RAM, I'll be curious to see whether the i7-6820HQ or the limited bandwidth of the TB3 connection will be the larger bottleneck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 5:03 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@yukikaze Thank you for the confirmation and build link.

@rowan17 I'm looking forward to seeing your results. You can go wild with the XG Station Pro in terms of graphics cards. I've tried hybrid cards in this build. While it doesn't retain the nice look of the enclosure, there's something to be said about and eGPU that runs cool and can hold your beer. :p

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 5:09 pm Recyclops and Rowan17 liked
karm
 karm
(@karm)

Would love to be on the list. I saw this particular eGPU pop up and while the power delivery is a bit of a bummer (would've liked one cable to handle everything), not at all a deal breaker. I also like how clean it looks and how quiet it can (apparently) run.

2018 13 in. MacBook Pro (16GB RAM/2.7Ghz i7) / ASUS XG Station Pro / Gigabyte GTX 1080 FTW

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 5:52 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@karm You're on the list.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 6:33 pm karm liked
(@skwrl495)

I would like to be on the list.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 9:00 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@skwrl495 I added your name on the list.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 9:04 pm Skwrl495 liked
(@rowan17)

@theitsage Good taste in beer! Quick question: does the XG Station Pro's onboard USB-C 3.1 port reduce bandwidth all the time or only when in use?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2018 10:17 pm
(@jim_c)

@yukikaze @theitsage thanks for the tip. Looking forward to it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2018 4:51 am
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@rowan17 The one device I don't recommend connecting the USB-C10 port to is a 4K monitor. SSD is another high bandwidth consuming device (up to 10Gbps) but that only impedes the eGPU's bandwidth when there's concurrent use. Ideally I'd use the expansion port for a USB-C hub that hosts mouse, keyboard, card reader, etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2018 1:26 pm
(@skwrl495)
Posted by: theitsage

@rowan17 The one device I don't recommend connecting the USB-C10 port to is a 4K monitor. SSD is another high bandwidth consuming device (up to 10Gbps) but that only impedes the eGPU's bandwidth when there's concurrent use. Ideally I'd use the expansion port for a USB-C hub that hosts mouse, keyboard, card reader, etc.

I was coming to post that exact question, whether a usb hub could be connected to it. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2018 6:37 pm Rowan17 liked
 Yurk
(@yurk)

I'd like to sign up too. Interested in connecting my Titan V to my Mac (although I know it only works on Windows, due to lack of MacOS drivers for the Titan V).

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2018 4:00 am theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@yurk I added you to the list. We'd love to see a build guide with the Titan V once you get it going.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2018 1:22 pm
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

This group buy is open until midnight August 21st US Central time (33 hours to go). I will be sending out the coupon code to use on Amazon US store the following day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2018 7:32 pm
(@jim_c)

I've also been wondering whether if it can be powered from DC, like a battery. Not that it would be very practical, but perhaps possible with modding the cable and adding a voltage regulator?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2018 6:42 am
(@chronograph)

I'd like to sign up too .
I'm looking for a slim enclosure for my Skull canyon!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2018 10:54 am theitsage liked
(@richard_parsons_rich)

I am interested in the group buy.  How can I sign up?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2018 12:25 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@chronograph and @richard_parsons_rich I added you to the list. You will receive the coupon code tomorrow to buy the XG Station Pro on Amazon.

@jim_c What DC power source do you have in mind? If you're thinking battery, it would be a very high capacity 19V output one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2018 2:25 pm
 Yurk
(@yurk)

I did not get any coupon or link. Where did you send it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2018 6:27 pm
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Tomorrow, August 22nd is when the coupon code will be sent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2018 6:46 pm
(@microsoft_accounts)

I want to sign up as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2018 10:35 pm theitsage liked
Recyclops
(@recyclops)

Is it too late to get in on this group buy?
I just put in a pre order on a rtx and wanted to pair it with my asus laptop. This egpu box seems awesome.

NOTEBOOK = ROG GL502VS - Built in GTX1070
GPU= Pre order Geforce RTX 2080 TI
EGPU= shopping for one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 22, 2018 2:51 am theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@microsoft_accounts and @recyclops I added you to the list.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 22, 2018 3:02 am Recyclops liked
Recyclops
(@recyclops)

Thank you!
All the description I read about this egpu seem specific to compatible cards. Do you think the new rtx 2080 ti will work in this box? I have a asus gl502vs laptop and want to boost its capability in rendering.

NOTEBOOK = ROG GL502VS - Built in GTX1070
GPU= Pre order Geforce RTX 2080 TI
EGPU= shopping for one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 22, 2018 3:54 am
HonkusMaximus
(@honkusmaximus)

Am I too late on this? Would like to get in on one if possible. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 22, 2018 5:57 am
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@honkusmaximus I added you to the list. I also sent the coupon code through PM. Please check your PM for the code and link to purchase the XG Station Pro on Amazon. - https://egpu.io/go/asusxgstationpro

Group Buy List:

1. @eightarmedpet
  2. @grassright
  3. @jim_c
  4. @rowan17
  5. @karm
  6. @skwrl495
  7. @yurk
  8. @chronograph
  9. @richard_parsons_rich
  10. @microsoft_accounts
  11. @recyclops
  12. @honkusmaximus

Just in case you're new to the forum, you can access the Messages section by navigating to Forum » My Profile » Messages.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 22, 2018 1:34 pm karm liked
Page 1 / 2 Next