Clear all

[Group Buy] ASUS XG Station Pro - US$299.99 [EXPIRED]  

of  5
  RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Posted by: itsage

The best Thunderbolt adapter is Apple USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt.  I believe @Yukikaze had a similar laptop working with TB3 enclosure through the adapter.

Yup, I ran a ZBook G2 15 with a Mantiz Venus (should work with other TB3 enclosures too): some details are here.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rowan Dunfey
(@rowan17)

Thank you, will do! Have been wanting to try this setup for a while and am excited to give it a shot now that the newest TB3 firmware for the P50 reports eGPU compatibility. Given 64GB of RAM, I'll be curious to see whether the i7-6820HQ or the limited bandwidth of the TB3 connection will be the larger bottleneck.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@yukikaze Thank you for the confirmation and build link.

@rowan17 I'm looking forward to seeing your results. You can go wild with the XG Station Pro in terms of graphics cards. I've tried hybrid cards in this build. While it doesn't retain the nice look of the enclosure, there's something to be said about and eGPU that runs cool and can hold your beer. :p

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
karm
 karm
(@karm)

Would love to be on the list. I saw this particular eGPU pop up and while the power delivery is a bit of a bummer (would've liked one cable to handle everything), not at all a deal breaker. I also like how clean it looks and how quiet it can (apparently) run.

2018 13 in. MacBook Pro (16GB RAM/2.7Ghz i7) / ASUS XG Station Pro / Gigabyte GTX 1080 FTW

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@karm You're on the list.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

karm liked
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Murdock
(@skwrl495)

I would like to be on the list.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@skwrl495 I added your name on the list.

ReplyQuote
Rowan Dunfey
(@rowan17)

@itsage Good taste in beer! Quick question: does the XG Station Pro's onboard USB-C 3.1 port reduce bandwidth all the time or only when in use?

ReplyQuote
Jim C
(@jim_c)

@yukikaze @itsage thanks for the tip. Looking forward to it.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rowan17 The one device I don't recommend connecting the USB-C10 port to is a 4K monitor. SSD is another high bandwidth consuming device (up to 10Gbps) but that only impedes the eGPU's bandwidth when there's concurrent use. Ideally I'd use the expansion port for a USB-C hub that hosts mouse, keyboard, card reader, etc.

ReplyQuote
 of  5