[Group Buy] ASUS XG...

Share:

[Group Buy] ASUS XG Station Pro - US$299.99 [EXPIRED]  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
(@jim_c)

Thanks! Discount shows up in cart. Although there's $18 of tax... Making it only $12 cheaper than buying from B&H which doesn't collect tax outside NY and NJ.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 22, 2018 7:12 pm
yucsss
(@ycs)

Hi theitsage, first of all thanks for arranging this promotion for all of us. 
I am planning to get into the eGPU world with my macbook pro 2018 13. I have been reading lots of entries all around web, especially regarding gpu card and eGPU enclosure to use. 
My initial decision was to go with Razer Core x and GTX 1080Ti however Razer's size is enormous and read many entries concerning about the fan noise. I think the only advantage of Razer's is that it provides excessive power so that you can charge your macbook with 100W. 
Recently, I am more into Asus XG station Pro, since it's size is reasonable and it is quite silent. Altough the power supply is not as strong as Core X, many people were happy about Asus XG Station Pro. Although capabilities of Asus XG Station 2 seems to be more, commentors were mostly pointing XG Station Pro.
To keep it short, can I have your opinion in respect of buying Razer Core X or Asus XG Station Pro - or maybe Asus Station 2?
And if you suggest Asus XG Station Pro, my next inquiry will be that if I can join this promotion?
I am a european user but I believe this promotion is available globally? 

Thanks for your many comments and efforts to enlighten people in Egpu forum 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2018 9:55 am
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ycs There's no easy way to determine what's the best eGPU enclosure unless we know more information about the graphics card, host laptop, and primary use. I'd recommend you reading my reviews of these three enclosures: ROG XG Station 2, Razer Core X, ASUS XG Station Pro.

Yes, you may use the coupon code 30ASUSEGPU (valid through August 26th) to buy the XG Station Pro for US$299 on Amazon.  https://egpu.io/go/asusxgstationpro

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2018 2:21 pm
yucsss
(@ycs)

Thanks for your reply and the code! I will be reading your reviews. 
Answering your questions, I plan to have following setup:
- macbook pro 13inch 2018 i7 
- Asus strix gtx 1080ti or 1080
- Aim is to benefit bootcamp and play games with an external monitor Asus 279Q

I believe for this setup I can use all 3 mentioned enclosures; but following points are still not clear for me:
- if gaming performance differs between these 3 options
- fan noise is important for me; as far as I read in reviews, the best in this metric is Station Pro
- Easy installation especially on bootcamp - Windows
- Difficulty to benefit from gsync (similar to the facts: enclosure needs to be plugged in once I see the Windows logo and/or plug in/outs crash OS) 
- Alignment of enclosure with laptop: I read many issues regarding enclosures showing misalignment with laptops as fans continue to run even tho gpu is not in use and/or the laptop is turned off 
- Future proof enclosure: as RTX 20 series are out, upgrading gpu should be possible in future 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2018 4:30 pm
 Yurk
(@yurk)

(@itsage) Thanks again for the coupon code. I got the ASUS XG Station Pro and installed my Titan V in it. It works great in Bootcamp with my mid 2012 13" Macbook, and an Apple TB3 to TB1 adapter. It is recognized right away, after Nvidia drivers are installed. Unfortunately, no Mac OS support, since Nvidia has not released Mac OS drivers for Volta. I wish Apple and Nvidia would get along. Impressions so far:

PROS
-Great, sleek design
-Aluminum construction makes for good thermals and a light case
-Separate power brick allows better thermals and a lot of empty space in the GPU box
-Good manufacturing quality
-Almost plug & play
-On/off button (unlike the Aorus Gaming Box)
-Dust filter on one side

CONS
-A lot of wasted space in the enclosure. It could be 20%-25% smaller in all dimensions (height, length, and thickness) and still fit full sized GPUs. No point in wasting all this space. If I were Asus, I'd create a much smaller box (just slightly longer than the Aorus Gaming Box), that would be much easier to carry and fit in my luggage when I travel. A 20% reduction in each dimension would mean a ~50% reduction in volume! 
-Blower cards do not get cooled appropriately. The back of the GPU is partly blocked, and hot air cannot leave efficiently (see photo below). I will have to use a saw to cut the black piece of metal that blocks the air flow, which will likely violate the warranty.
-The InWin case fans are quiet but extremely weak. They barely move any air at all. If you put your hand next to them, you feel nothing at all. I will be replacing them with 12 cm PWM high air flow Noctua fans.

2018 08 25 14.16.56
2018 08 25 14.17.34

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2018 4:14 pm
theitsage liked
(@jim_c)

@itsage Also would like to thank you for the group buy. Got the box on Wednesday and graphics card (EVGA 1060 6GB SSC) today. Played around with my two laptops today, and some initial thoughts here:

The build quality is great. Feels well made and designed. Looks good and non intrusive on the desk.

With LG Gram 15'':
- Plug and play basically. I downloaded Nvidia driver manually but it seems Windows has recognized the device automatically and found the driver. Super easy to setup.
- Not sure if my settings are different, but it seems I'm getting better fps using laptop display than external? Anything to do with the amount of displays connected, or video capture software?
- USB-C port is unstable. Sometimes it works just fine like in a game. Sometimes there are frequent disconnects - unusable for peripherals. Not sure the cause yet.

With HP ZBook 15 G2 + Apple TB3-2 Adapter:
- Not plug and play. Followed a similar guide here to install Thunderbolt driver. Uninstalled the discreet card and drivers a few times in order to get it working. Two Nvidia cards don't seem to be a good idea, but at least system recognize both right now.
- FANS ARE LOUD. For whatever reason the graphics card fans run at full speed. EVGA's software doesn't help and leads to BSOD. No option in Nvidia Control Panel. MSI software doesn't work either. This makes the EGPU very much unusable. It's unbearably loud - had to wear ear muffs when I were trying to fix it.  Fixed.
- USB-C port doesn't seem to be working at all.

There are many problems, but in general I'm happy about its performance, especially with the LG. I hope the problems can be resolved and it will become a very capable docking station and external GPU.

Edit: disabled discreet graphics card on HP ZBook and fan runs normally and under control of software now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 31, 2018 4:57 am
theitsage liked
mektorious
(@mektorious)

Any chance there is still a chance to get in on the group buy?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2018 9:51 pm
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mektorious Unfortunately this offer expired.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2018 12:49 am
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
Posted by: karm

Would love to be on the list. I saw this particular eGPU pop up and while the power delivery is a bit of a bummer (would've liked one cable to handle everything), not at all a deal breaker. I also like how clean it looks and how quiet it can (apparently) run.

The power delivery was almost a deal breaker for me, but it would have been a pity, because everything else is great with this enclosure. See also my report:
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-asus-xg-station-pro-evga-gtx-1080-ti/

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 1, 2018 11:39 pm
theitsage liked
(@bukeyolacan)

Thanks for the group discount. Can I have the code also?

2018 Razer Blade 15" GTX 1070 256GB

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 4:21 pm
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Unfortunately this offer expired on August 26th, 2018.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 4:36 pm
Seotheneo
(@seotheneo)

I missed it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 9, 2019 4:35 am
Page 2 / 2