[Group Buy] ASUS XG Station Pro - US$299.99 [EXPIRED]
(@itsage) Thanks again for the coupon code. I got the ASUS XG Station Pro and installed my Titan V in it. It works great in Bootcamp with my mid 2012 13" Macbook, and an Apple TB3 to TB1 adapter. It is recognized right away, after Nvidia drivers are installed. Unfortunately, no Mac OS support, since Nvidia has not released Mac OS drivers for Volta. I wish Apple and Nvidia would get along. Impressions so far:
-Separate power brick allows better thermals and a lot of empty space in the GPU box
@itsage Also would like to thank you for the group buy. Got the box on Wednesday and graphics card (EVGA 1060 6GB SSC) today. Played around with my two laptops today, and some initial thoughts here:
The build quality is great. Feels well made and designed. Looks good and non intrusive on the desk.
With LG Gram 15'':
- Plug and play basically. I downloaded Nvidia driver manually but it seems Windows has recognized the device automatically and found the driver. Super easy to setup.
- Not sure if my settings are different, but it seems I'm getting better fps using laptop display than external? Anything to do with the amount of displays connected, or video capture software?
- USB-C port is unstable. Sometimes it works just fine like in a game. Sometimes there are frequent disconnects - unusable for peripherals. Not sure the cause yet.
With HP ZBook 15 G2 + Apple TB3-2 Adapter:
- Not plug and play. Followed a similar guide here to install Thunderbolt driver. Uninstalled the discreet card and drivers a few times in order to get it working. Two Nvidia cards don't seem to be a good idea, but at least system recognize both right now.
FANS ARE LOUD. For whatever reason the graphics card fans run at full speed. EVGA's software doesn't help and leads to BSOD. No option in Nvidia Control Panel. MSI software doesn't work either. This makes the EGPU very much unusable. It's unbearably loud - had to wear ear muffs when I were trying to fix it. Fixed.
- USB-C port doesn't seem to be working at all.
There are many problems, but in general I'm happy about its performance, especially with the LG. I hope the problems can be resolved and it will become a very capable docking station and external GPU.
Edit: disabled discreet graphics card on HP ZBook and fan runs normally and under control of software now.
Would love to be on the list. I saw this particular eGPU pop up and while the power delivery is a bit of a bummer (would've liked one cable to handle everything), not at all a deal breaker. I also like how clean it looks and how quiet it can (apparently) run.
The power delivery was almost a deal breaker for me, but it would have been a pity, because everything else is great with this enclosure. See also my report:
Thanks for the group discount. Can I have the code also?
2019 Macbook Pro 15' Radeon 555X