Notifications
Clear all

[US] Dell: AMD Radeon Pro W5700 Workstation Graphics Card - $699.99  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

This is one of the very few AMD Radeon cards with USB-C monitor output. It has full eGPU support in macOS. $699.99 on Dell website is not a bad price for this Radeon Pro workstation graphics card given how overpriced all GPUs are currently. I ordered one today and delivery is set for early June.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cheeky
(@cheeky)

That's a fantastic price for that card! I hope many were able to get one! I have one running very well in Linux.

Recently I came across a thread on igorslab.de originally about mining with a W5700. But it became about unlocking the bios on the W5700.

https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/amd-radeon-pro-w5700-for-mining-ethereum.4028/

Cheers!

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 | AMD FirePro D700 6GB | 64GB Ram | 1TB SSD | NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@cheeky, Yes, below MSRP atm is a great deal. I hope it will arrive earlier than June. 😀

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

After waiting for more than 2 months, my Dell OEM Radeon Pro W5700 arrived earlier this week. The packaging was worse than a $50 piece of random electronics one could buy anywhere online. Such a disappointment for shoving the GPU and "accessories" into what looks like a generic keyboard/battery box. 

Unlike an AMD Radeon Pro packaging, there's no miniDP adapters to other port types such as DisplayPort or HDMI. All Dell thought the customers could ever wish for was CDs with outdated drivers.

Thankfully there was no damage to the W5700 itself. I no longer have a RX 5700/XT so this graphics card would be a very nice replacement for them. Having a USB-C port is great too. The other 5x mDP for a total of 6x outports is another advantage of the Radeon Pro lineup.

I decided to install it inside Razer Core V2. They made a great pairing imo. The sleeved PCIe power cables of the Core V2 keeps everything nice and tidy. I also disconnected the thermal sensor on the LED board of this enclosure so that the bottom fans don't run full speed and cause unnecessary noise emission [link]. 

My 2020 M1 Mac mini doesn't have eGPU support so I'm using it as an office computer in the dining room. Through the Thunderbolt 3 connection, a single cable allows input from monitor with connected USB mouse and keyboard. It's not iMac level of clean but I enjoy it very much. Hopefully we'll have eGPU in the future.

I quickly tested my 2020 13-in Ice Lake MacBook Pro with this new eGPU. This Samsung CJ791 monitor has 2x TB3/USB-C, 1x DP, and 1x HDMI. The W5700 could use anyone of those 4x ports for monitor input. I chose a USB-C cable to use the connected USB mouse and keyboard.

Everything worked plug-and-play in macOS 12 on this machine. Apple made some refinements in System Preferences > Display to show all connected displays and their relative physical size and placement. It's a nice touch.

I will put a build with this setup in both macOS 12 and Windows 11 soon.

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@itsage, That box tho! 😆

FWIW, AMD’s RDNA2-based successor, the W6600, is scheduled for a paper-launch at the end of summer. 

https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/amd-radeon-pro-w6600

Maybe Apple will write Mac drivers to support a new entry-level MPX module for the Mac Pro

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 5500 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.5 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mini-i5, I hope Apple provides driver support for more AMD cards soon. I like the W5700 because of the USB-C port. Not sure why Nvidia introduced them in RTX 2000 series and did away with them. It's very nice to have in eGPU mode. We can power a portable USB-C monitor + an ultrabook off a single power cable to the eGPU enclosure.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, I wonder if you can connect the eGPU to an M1 Mac mini and use the AMD USB controller of the AMD GPU at least since M1 macOS has XHCI drivers.

When you say "power a portable USB-C monitor + an ultrabook", do you think it can support any more than the standard 15W of USB-C? Or 15W is enough for some USB-C monitors/ultrabooks?

I just got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X3HST7V and have been testing it with an iPad Air. The best charger (USB Type A) in my house can do 12W. My Mac mini 2018 can do about 9W. This USB tester appears to be limited to USB 2.0 speed though. I have a simpler tester from Plugable.com but it can do 10 Gbps which is what is required for DisplayPort alt mode.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@joevt, Thank you for that cool idea. I will test soon and report back. Regarding powering the USB-C monitor through the W5700 USB-C port, I believe most should work. My ASUS MB16C has worked with all kind of hosts and eGPU. I use it most often with a 2018 Mac mini without issues. I have tried it with USB-C output ports on Nvidia RTX 2000 series cards with success too.

I might have worded my sentence oddly. My thought process was to use a single power cable from the outlet to run the eGPU enclosure. The eGPU enclosure would then power the laptop through Thunderbolt 3 as well as power a USB-C monitor through the graphics card USB-C port.

joevt liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@joevt, Your guess was right on. The M1 Mac mini can use an external drive off the AMD eGPU USB-C port. The speed test was the same as if it was connected directly to the Mac mini USB-C/TBT port. My test drive was Samsung T7. Here are some screen captures I took of the connection.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, I wouldn't say the speed was the same unless maybe the T7 is slow. Read the following for discussion of M1 Mac USB speeds (the title of the thread is not accurate):
USB on M1 Macs isn't actually 10Gb/s? (Also definitely not USB4)

I would expect higher speeds from any USB controller that is not the M1 Mac's USB controller (except maybe the ASM1142 connected at 10 Gbps which can only do data up to 8 Gbps).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  2