Notifications
Clear all

[US] Dell: AMD Radeon Pro W5700 Workstation Graphics Card - $699.99  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@joevt, I tested this Samsung T7 in a Windows laptop through Samsung Magician and the read speed was was above 900MB/s while write speed was slightly above 700MB/s. Through the M1 Mac mini (both directly and W5700 eGPU), read and write speed was right around 700MB/s.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, Did you use sequential read/write in AmorphousDiskMark.app (or CrystalDiskMark.exe in Windows)? I think those benchmarks give the highest numbers. Otherwise, it seems like the Samsung T7 is slow. An NVMe in a USB enclosure should do about 1050 MB/s. I've got 1060 MB/s from a Mushkin 4TB Gen 4x4 in a SIIG USB 3.2 gen 2x2 enclosure connected to a Mac mini 2018 (gen 2x1).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@joevt, I used Samsung Magician on the Windows laptop and AJA System Test on M1 Mac mini. The Samsung T7 could reach above 900MB/s in the Windows laptop test, but not so with M1 Mac mini test. I will try the other apps you recommended.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, while we're discussing disk benchmarks, note that ATTO Disk Benchmark.app can test multiple disks at the same time so you don't need a RAID 0 to see what the total bandwidth can be. This would make testing the total bandwidth of a set of Thunderbolt ports easier. https://egpu.io/forums/laptop-computing/ice-lake-cpu-on-die-thunderbolt-3-controller-bandwidth/

You can use it to test the total bandwidth of a DMI connection or a PCIe slot or set of PCIe slots - whatever might have a bottleneck that can only be experienced by using more than one disk.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2