eGPU.io Community
[US] ebay - Thunderbolt1 to PCIe Box (Atto TLFC-1082-D00 minus th...

[US] ebay - Thunderbolt1 to PCIe Box (Atto TLFC-1082-D00 minus the network card): 40$ + Shipping  

RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
Dec 13, 2018 3:51 am  

Initial testing with a powered riser, and RX460 or HD7570 cards is positive: This can be used as an eGPU if you use a powered riser (it does not seem to work as an eGPU without one).

Here is the spec sheet for the original product.

Here is the item on ebay.

Here's my build log using one of these.

This topic was modified 6 months ago

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member
Dec 14, 2018 4:14 pm  

thanks. I took a look. Would have been nice to see full closed chassis photo but that is not included. With a powered riser I think it would be hard to close this with a GPU inside (maybe I'm wrong?). But could be nice for other types of PCI-e add-ons. It's$11.50 additional shipping to chicago. So $51.50 and no TB1 cable.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
3RYL
 3RYL
(@3ryl)
Eminent Member
Dec 14, 2018 5:13 pm  

Looks interesting. Waiting for your words about it.

Chimera ~ 2011 15" Dell Vostro 3550 HD6630M + [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) +Win7
My adapter models for eGPU case projects

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Dec 14, 2018 7:15 pm  

@esatamacmodular

This is how it looks closed. Note that the rear bracket doesn't accept a regular card, so the case would need to be modified (Dremel Time!) to accept a regular card. This is a more useful as a donor board without the case. I think the most obvious use without a powered riser would be to use it to connect a PCIe/NVMe SSD to a system. It is a lot cheaper than getting a TB3 to NVMe/PCIe enclosure, even if you need an adapter, and 10Gbps is plenty of speed for SSDs. If you remove the rear bracket, then the SSD (of the PCIe to NVMe adapter) should fit into this thing without issues.

It looks like ebay has quite a few of these in various conditions and listings (probably a lot of these are getting retired now), so it might be a good source of TB1 donor  boards. Not the greatest for eGPUs in the modern age (unless you have an old TB1 system and want a cheap board instead of forking out 100+ USD for a Thunder2), but it is interesting for other things.

EDIT: Since it is a discontinued product, I might try to get in touch with Atto to get the board specification, that might help understanding whether say, we can pipe 75W of power through the slot without frying the board.

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Dec 18, 2018 4:56 am  

@3RYL - My unit has arrived. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working with my attempted eGPU setups. You can read about it here. I guess I took one for the team 🙂

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Dec 19, 2018 5:50 am  

@3RYL - A final update: This does work, but a powered riser is required, here is the build log.

ReplyQuote