[global] Aliexpress: US$150 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65...

Notifications
Clear all

[global] Aliexpress: US$150 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65W PD TB3 eGPU with extra PCIe slot  

of  7
  RSS

wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@lefuturdelavenir, having read through your External PSU thread I'm planning on building a custom power supply from a flex ATX supply. I'm wondering about the need to put all power through the mainboard, rather than PCIe 6/8pin power direct to the GPU. Perhaps you can share your expertise here.

Additionally I'm not optimistic about receiving the 6pin mainboard to GPU power cable with this kit which might be valuable for others to confirm before ordering.

My PSU is an FSP Flex ATX rated for 300W. It has two 12v rails

1. 120W/10A through the 20/24pin ATX, Molex and SATA connections
  2. 182W/16A through the 4 pin CPU connection

My setup is a Lenovo x3 Tablet 3rd gen i7 8550u, 16gb RAM, and RTX 2070. The stock charger is 45W- actual use is likely less with 25w CPU TDP. The GPU TDP is 175W.

I had thought that I could reroute the 20/24pin ATX to the motherboard and then power the card directly by wiring the CPU to an 8pin PCIe. You mentioned on the other thread that 12V single rail is needed. 

Is it possible to use the supply I have? Can I wire directly to the card 8pin instead of through the mainboard?

Is my first rail at 120W too close with theoretical 45W power delivery, 75W slot power, potential I/O daughter boards and transformer inefficiencies? Does the GPU take all available slot power and the remainder from the 6/8pin, or will it use instead the headroom I have in the second voltage rail?

Thanks in advance.

This post was modified 2 months ago

X1 Tablet 3rd | i7-8550u | 16gb RAM
Omen Accelerator + RX460 (RTX2070 compatability issue)
Razer Core V2 AliExpress board arrived | Building now, to pair with RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
lefuturdelavenir
(@lefuturdelavenir)
Trusted Member

@wpwp, about the PCIe Ebay magic card: that's a hell of a finding! Frankenstein type Smile

The description is quite misleading though. In fact, it's a "simple" USB controller card with a Renesas µPD720201 chip. The m.2 slot is "dummy". It has no link to the PCIe x1 connector. It's a passive m.2 to SATA adapter and needs a separate SATA controller. That's why the description state "Connect the motherboard hard disk interface and riser card with SATA cable". Clever way of saying it LoL

The description also says "you can use NVMe M.2 PCIE SSD"... and that's BS! An NVMe SSD on a B key m.2 slot is... big BS.

It's also supposed to be compatible with macOS. To my knowledge it's not the case without serious kext patch.

Anyway... about your project, an RTX 2070 plugged to a tablet ?! That's awesome !

if you have two rails you'll need make sure they are isolated one from the other. So you should not use both to feed the motherboard through the JST and squared Molex connectors because I guess they are bridged to each other (can someone verify that with a multimeter?). What I would do is use one rail to connect the GPU directly and the other for the motherboard through the JST and squared Molex connectors.

The motherboard can draw 75w + up to 65w for power delivery. Your tablet could draw more than the 45w of the stock charger (the tech spec on lenovo's website state 65w). Let's add 5w for the thunderbolt controllers and we have 145w minimum when the tablet is on charge. I guess it's possible to use the 120w rail especially when the tablet is not charging... but I would rather go for the other 16A rail. The 10A rail is perfect for the 100w of the graphics card power connector.

I think that's the only way it's gonna work reliably. If you choose to go the other way around (10A for motherboard and 16A for GPU) it's probably gonna work until you launch a heavy game on a hot day Smile

Problem is, you may have guessed it, that the resulting cable is weird. The 16A rail from the 4 pins EPS-12v would go to the motherboard, 2 pins to the JST and 2 pins for the squared Molex (out of the 6 available). The two 12v pins available on the 24pins ATX goes to the all 6 pins of the graphics card power connectors (2 pins for less than 10A is ok). And then you have the traditional 5v, 5vsb, 3.3v and POWERON from the 24 pins ATX to the JST of the motherboard. And of course you have ground pins, as mush as you can.

How does that sound ?

MacBook Pro 2017 no-touchbar; Razer Core V2; RX 570

ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Eminent Member

Was about to post this here, only to find out it's here since April haha. Planning on doing something similar to what @lefuturdelavenir did with his Core v2 but this is indeed being false advertised as Core X Chroma. For 70$ I would've ordered it though 😛

Knowing some boards support 100w PD, 65w might not be enough future-proof imo. I asked the seller if he's getting boards from the Core X Chroma in the future and he said he'll try. Has anyone ever tried changing PD? 

@wpwp and @Keauval please let us know when it arrives!

Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1 (i7 8650u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Razer Core X Chroma + GTX 1070 Ti

ReplyQuote
quang240990
(@quang240990)

egpu2
egpu1
egpu3

Hi everyone, I think I am the first one who bought it: D. I bought it 2 weeks ago when it was 1000 in stock and the price is 700 $.

I think it is mainboard from the factory that produced razer core V2 from china, that's why they had a lot of it.

The mainboard is clean but I have no chance to test it. Hopefully see your guys' testing it.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@lefuturdelavenir, this is amazing help thank you.

Posted by: @lefuturdelavenir

if you have two rails you'll need make sure they are isolated one from the other. So you should not use both to feed the motherboard through the JST and squared Molex connectors because I guess they are bridged to each other (can someone verify that with a multimeter?). What I would do is use one rail to connect the GPU directly and the other for the motherboard through the JST and squared Molex connectors.

This is what I had hoped was possible to use the two rails.

Posted by: @lefuturdelavenir

Anyway... about your project, an RTX 2070 plugged to a tablet ?! That's awesome !

This is if all compatibility goes well. I'm planning on playing around with some deep learning projects rather than any particular gaming needs.

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@lefuturdelavenir, another amateur question:

Are the ground wires specific to each rail? Or is there a common ground between all rails?

For example, if I run the second 12v rail (16A, 182W) to the mainboard, then do I need to run specifically and only the associated ground wires from the CPU pin to the mainboard too?

ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Eminent Member

@nando4

Please update the title - Seller raised the price again, this time to 150$..

Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1 (i7 8650u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Razer Core X Chroma + GTX 1070 Ti

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

Mine arrived today. I would certainly have thought twice at $150, though I can't get anything with PD even secondhand for a competitive price.

Will post photos and try and build over the next few days, work allowing. Please let me know if I can can try to answer any particular questions.

Packaging was adequate. Ordered 28/4/20, dispatched I think form Hong Kong, delivery 13/5/20 to UK. 

MrCat liked
ReplyQuote
lefuturdelavenir
(@lefuturdelavenir)
Trusted Member

@wpwp, the ground is common for every rails and voltage outputs (5v, 3.3v etc.) 😉 

Thanks for the update. About 2 weeks for shipping isn't bad. What was the departure country ?

MacBook Pro 2017 no-touchbar; Razer Core V2; RX 570

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

Dispatched from Hong Kong, from what I can make out on the packaging.

Thanks again for the wiring advice.

ReplyQuote
 of  7