[global] Aliexpress: US$150 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65...

Notifications
Clear all

[global] Aliexpress: US$150 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65W PD TB3 eGPU with extra PCIe slot  

of  6
  RSS

trupiaszka
(@trupiaszka)

Hello! Smile
Does someone know if 150W mac mini power supply (2018?) would work with board, or maybe with another cable combination?
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000124909296.html

obraz

Really looks like it's the same 10 row connector...  and wattage would be enough for the 1650 low profiles, so really cheap option and small like picoPSU 😎 

Also there is another version of board for 100$ here, looks like this time if i'm correct it is Core X board without optional pcie boards like V2, BUT normal ATX power supply connector

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dTcS4oD

obraz
This post was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Eminent Member

@trupiaszka 

Yes, they're from Razer Core X. Seems he reduced the price from them, he was charging 150$. Besides the ATX connector the only advantage one would be getting compared to Core v2 is 100W PD. Otherwise there's no 2nd TB3 controller/PCIe slot, which removes its expanding capabilities..

@wpwp 

Please do some gaming benchmarks with the X1 Gen. 3 Tablet once you're done with the setup. Quite curious to see how it performs Smile

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lefuturdelavenir
(@lefuturdelavenir)
Eminent Member

@wpwp, I checked the 2 pin connector and it is at 3.3v even when the PSU is off. Sadly, pulling to the ground through a resistor doesn’t turns the PSU on. I think the 2 and 5 pins connectors may be here to allow the flashing of the nearby component (probably a microcontroller) during manufacturing process. One would be power when the other is actual flashing. It’s just a theory but if I’m right this is bad news because it won’t help jumping the case detector.

Thing is I cannot take my CORE apart right now because I work at home and I need it to work. 

MacBook Pro 2017 no-touchbar; Razer Core V2; RX 570

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @lefuturdelavenir

@wpwp, I checked the 2 pin connector and it is at 3.3v even when the PSU is off. Sadly, pulling to the ground through a resistor doesn’t turns the PSU on. I think the 2 and 5 pins connectors may be here to allow the flashing of the nearby component (probably a microcontroller) during manufacturing process. One would be power when the other is actual flashing. It’s just a theory but if I’m right this is bad news because it won’t help jumping the case detector.

Thing is I cannot take my CORE apart right now because I work at home and I need it to work. 

I have not been able to power my board on. I have double checked the wiring, but in summary believe there is a case open/close signal after discussion with @lefuturdelavenir, who discovered the original Core V2 won't power on with the case open.

I wonder if the signal passes through the LED board as I can't see any other possible locations. Can anyone confirm if the Core V2 would power on without the LED board plugged?

It is very hard to assess this without the additional original components. 

Has anyone else managed to get this standalone board to work? Otherwise I cannot tell if the board is defective or I'm doing something wrong!

My multimeter is currently in storage. It might take a little time before I discover where this signal may be. Advice from @lefuturdelavenir from another thread copied below:

-----------------------------------------

On my board I can confirm the 5 pin an 2 pin connectors are not going anywhere.

-- attachment is not available --

It likely a debug thing. It would be interesting to see what's the voltage on those pins when the PSU is plugged but not forced on. You have to look for 5v, because when the PSU is off, only the 5vsb is provided (does it, in your case?). If you find a pin to 5v, you can try to pull it down to ground through a 10k resistor.

Here an old picture of my mod. Seems there is some electronics on the side to control the LED, the fans... and probably the case opening detector. So in an optimal usage, the "To LED" connector should be the one carrying the open/close case signal.

-- attachment is not available --

I've made another observation: there are two little components near the 12v power connectors on the motherboard. I would make the hypothesis those are measuring the voltage of the individual connectors. So you should provide 12v to the other 12v connector. Then try a manual poweron and see what happend.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

X1 Tablet 3rd | i7-8550u | 16gb RAM
Omen Accelerator + RX460 (RTX2070 compatability issue)
Razer Core V2 AliExpress board arrived | Building now, to pair with RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I recall the Razer Core/V2 has a magnet in the outer shell. Without it the mainboard wouldn't power on. Here's a photo where you can see it (triangle piece at the bottom right corner).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@itsage, Thanks, thi is very helpful.

After some more searching I've confirmed a few people have had this issue while trying to use a larger card than the Core case would allow.

As here:

This seems to confirm @lefuturdelavenir 's idea that the signal runs through the 'To LED' connector.

Can anyone advise what type of connector this 10 pin is? I can then make a breakout connector and find the appropriate signal.

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@trupiaszka, The Mac Mini supply won't work without modification due to a different physical connector. I don't know what voltages its supplies.

As per @lefuturdelavenir 's advice, I used a JST VH 3.96mm connector. This is 10 pins in a single row. 

The other two inputs to the mainboard are 6+2pin PCIE connectors, just like on a graphics card.

ReplyQuote
(@quang240990)

@wpwp, hi did you manage to run your build razer core v2 ? I am building the same build but I am still stuck with it

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@quang240990, I have built the power supply and connector, but I haven't got it to power yet. I think the issue is that the mainboard is waiting for the signal from magnetic case sensor.

Obviously this DIY build doesn't have the sensor so I need to find out how to bypass this. I think it is through the LED board so I hope that I can find a 5V signal there, ground it, and then that will power on the board.

What stage are you at? Happy to help where I can.

ReplyQuote
(@quang240990)

@wpwp, well I am actually at your stage as well, unfortunately, my problem is exact like your problem, the board does not turn on due to because of the lack of "enclosure closing signal" which discussed above threads. 

I watched people try to using the long VGA with the razer core v2 and they did some modifications to make the razer core v2 runs without closing the enclosure. I figured out that the sensor that detects whether the case is closed or not is actually on the LED board. So there is impossible for us to use the board without the LED board (I hope you will find a way to do that).

I have a "costly" solution is to buy the LED board from that shop, if you click to the link in this thread you can see that shop is selling other components of the razer core v2 like the motherboard, led board of core v2, PSU and the razer core x board as well. It costs 30 usd. 

To be honest, I regret with the idea of building this system, and actually people already bought this razer core v2 board think that they can build a cheap EGPU but we are tricked by the CHINESE shop. Now I know why they sell components separately with attractive price. So next time I should be aware of buy things from fucking CHINA.

another sharing to compare the price. I bought the board for 70 usd, I bought a new PSU 550W for 30 usd, a cheapest thunderbolt 3 cable 35 usd, electric connectors JST VH and others lets assume it is 5 usd. So total is 140 usd (of course this price can be vary if we buy a secondhand stuffs or using old stuffs we have),  and now just to do not throw away the board I have to pay 30 usd for the LED board. Total money is 170 usd meanwhile buying a razer core v2 or core x in shop now is just 230 usd and if buying form ebay even around 170-180usd. 

Is it worth to build this system ? of course, I learnt some electric skills by building this.

I hope you will make it works and give me some advice  

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
 of  6