[global] Aliexpress: US$200 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65...

Notifications
Clear all

[global] Aliexpress: US$200 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65W PD TB3 eGPU with extra PCIe slot  

of  7
  RSS

wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@quang240990, to be fair, this wasn't advertised as a DIY solution. I think buying off AliExpress is inherently risky, even more so in this case where we are trying a build with no guide.

However I agree the price saving is poor, even when buying for $70. I think buying at $150 doesn't make any sense. Then again, in the UK eGPUs are expensive, even second hand. My build so far is $70 board + $35 for PSU + $5 for all cables and connectors. Leaving $30 for case materials and $15 for an IO board, I'm hoping to come in under $150 with a total build volume of under 3L. I am therefore still optimistic.

For comparison, I bought a second hand Omen Accelerator for £180 = $220, which is an inferior version, gigantic, and doesn't work with my RTX 2070. A second hand Core X is £250+ and V2 £350.

I was also thinking about buying the LED board but I'm trying to avoid that. The photos don't show the connecting cable included so it could end up being another frustrating purchase.

My preferred option would be to try and ground the separation 5Vsb signal which I hope I can do straight from the 10 pin LED connector, without needing the LED board.

I have a multimeter on the way but the pins are very small to work with. I can't figure out what kind of connector is used to the LED board: 10 pins in one row. I don't think it's IDC as the pin separation/pitch is too small. Can anyone advise? 

This post was modified 1 month ago

X1 Tablet 3rd | i7-8550u | 16gb RAM
Omen Accelerator + RX460 (RTX2070 compatability issue)
Razer Core V2 AliExpress board arrived | Building now, to pair with RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
Keauval
(@keauval)

Same here.. just received mine, with the cable of @lefuturdelavenir (Special thanks Smile )... But PSU doesn't switch on!

What a pity I hestitated to order with the USB RJ45 board 🙁 

If someone find the solution for the bypass .. 

Thinking about returning my GTX / PSU / thunderbolt cable 🙁 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@keauval, I am optimistic we can bypass it. If the signal through the 10 pin to the LED board is a direct signal and not interpreted by any kind of chip, then a simple bypass with a resistor to ground should be possible.

The LED board has dropped in price to $30, but I don't know if it come with the connecting cable. If it does, it may be worth it.

ReplyQuote
Keauval
(@keauval)

Posted by: @wpwp

@keauval, I am optimistic we can bypass it. If the signal through the 10 pin to the LED board is a direct signal and not interpreted by any kind of chip, then a simple bypass with a resistor to ground should be possible.

The LED board has dropped in price to $30, but I don't know if it come with the connecting cable. If it does, it may be worth it.

Thanks for your optimism @wpwp Smile

I'm sorry I have really no skill to help you to find the solution 🙁 

EDIT  :

I don't know anything, but doesn't it look to have a chip between "From ground effect pin" and other composants?

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lefuturdelavenir
(@lefuturdelavenir)
Trusted Member

They also sell the LED board?? That's interesting. That can be a solution.

I agree with @wpwp, if it's a simple signal it's possible to bypass it. I may have some time to work on that next weekend. No guaranty

@keauval, maybe you should consider returning the GTX for now until a solution is found?

MacBook Pro 2017 no-touchbar; Razer Core V2; RX 570

ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Eminent Member

Price was raised to 200 USD. At 150 USD one could reluctantly still think about it, now it's no longer worth it imo, especially after considering the headaches it's giving. Seeing you running into all these issues, it makes me wonder how they're testing the boards. I guess this should be seen as a solution for Core v2 owners with damaged parts and not as a DIY eGPU (unfortunately). 

Fingers crossed, I hope you manage to get it running Smile

Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1 (i7 8650u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Razer Core X Chroma + GTX 1070 Ti

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@mrcat, I agree, at $200 it's now not worth buying this for a DIY project.

If I had a broken Core V2, I probably wouldn't bother buying this- I'd get a second hand model for less or a new eGPU with warranty. 

I can't see this making many sales at this price. Wouldn't be surprised if the seller subsequently reduces it.

@lefuturdelavenir, if you are able to test the 5Vsb through the LED, then that would be amazing. I will be testing when I get my multimeter, hopefully within the week.

ReplyQuote
quang240990
(@quang240990)

@wpwp, are you planning to really try your method of "the signal through the 10 pin to the LED board is a direct signal and not interpreted by any kind of chip, then a simple bypass with a resistor to ground should be possible" ? I do not understand this so I cannot try it with you. If you are successful, please share the method to us.

@wpwp, another thing, I attached 2 pictures of a guy run the long graphic card with the opened razer core v2, the pictures proved clearly that there is a sensor, or a chip in the led board, and even it position on the led board. When he put the magnet into that place, the razer core turns on. I am crying after seeing this 🙁

The best thing to make sure is asking someone who owns the razer core v2 to test your method, but it is tough for them to do so.

I just want to share to you what I found out. HAHA, the funny thing is if we do not buy the LED board early may be the practical CHINESE "VIRUS" shop will increase the price of the LED board to 70 or 100$ because he see this thread and knows that we cannot do anything without buying the LED board

razercore1
razercore2

ReplyQuote
Patrick Harris
(@patrick_harris)

I am still waiting for my board to arrive so I can do some tests. If the problem is that the psu won't turn on, it may be a possibility to ground the PWRON (green) psu wire rather than trace it through to the hall sensor.

Inspiron 7591 2n1 | i5-10210U | Razer Core X | GTX 1660S

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@patrick_harris, I have tried this. It powers on the PSU but not the Core main board, unfortunately. 

ReplyQuote
 of  7