[global] Aliexpress: US$200 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65...

Notifications
Clear all

[global] Aliexpress: US$200 Razer Core V2 board -> add ATX PSU, TB3 cable for 65W PD TB3 eGPU with extra PCIe slot  

of  8
  RSS

wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@mrcat, I don't think I'll be able to return it, and got it for the original cheap price, so may as well tinker..

X1 Tablet 3rd | i7-8550u | 16gb RAM
Omen Accelerator + RX460 (RTX2070 compatability issue)
Razer Core V2 AliExpress board arrived | Building now, to pair with RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Trusted Member

@wpwp

I would definitely do the same for 70$. 🙂

Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1 (i7 8650u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen (i7 8550u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Razer Core X Chroma + GTX 1070 Ti

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

Progress...using a JST SH 1.0mm pitch connector.

Next is a proper pinout and I can try to ground the pins as per @lefuturdelavenir .

If anyone can advise how the grounding works on a real Core V2 I would be very grateful!

ReplyQuote
wedel
(@wedel)

Dzień dobry,

This is my first post on this forum, so hello everyone 🙂

Idk how to attach photos, so I'm giving links to imgur 

Around may i've bought Razer Core v2 board from Aliexpress. This week I've got some time to finally play with it. It looks like it's working (Power Delivery and video to external monitor) 🙂

System specs 2015 13" Dell XPS 13 9350 (Iris 540) [6th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ TB3 (Aliexpress: US$150 Razer Core V2 board + CollerMaster 500W PSU) + Win10

To run the board I had to short little 2 pin header near to LED conector. I retraced connections to one of this pins and one of pins is connected to (I guess) voltage regulator which is connected to some FETs on the other side of board, that pulls POWERON signal.

To short this bad boy firstly I used tweezers. And after pluging tb3 cable to laptop it started charging <3. After a while when gpu drivers were installed video appeared on external monitor. :d

Because tweezers sticking out of board might be inconvenient in my future DIY enclousure I solderd these two pins with each other :

Now I need to get some PCIe usb hub to check if the other port is working as well.

I hope this will help you to run your eGPUs 🙂

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Max Pham
(@maxpham)

@wedel, This is really cool 😀 ! Thanks for sharing your solution for the board.

I also got mind. But my PSU does not have that 10 pin connector. 

Does anyone know where to get an adapter for it?

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@maxpham , @wedel is jumpering his board to power on using the attached ATX PSU by shorting the two pins together. The 10-pin header used by the LED board shown here isn't being attached.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wpwp
 wpwp
(@wpwp)
Eminent Member

@wedel  congratulations on getting this running. I tried your method very quickly but was still unable to get a full PSU power on, only pulses of power. Perhaps I've been using a faulty PSU all this time. I will try and test further when I get a little time.

ReplyQuote
adam ahmed
(@adam_ahmed)

Hi all,

I tried this method and didn’t work for me neither!

with one Power supply out of three I have, one only got the fan spinning, the laptop detect the usb device but the gpu didn’t get detected (I even tried GT730 which don’t need 6pin power for no avail) no power comes out from the 6pin gpu plug. No gpu detection even if I feed the graphic card with the 6pin directly from the power supply. 
if anybody can give more information or solution that will be highly appreciated.

if the two pins shorting sort it out for one of our forum member that mean we don’t need special arrangement, we just need some one who has the actual core v2 box to check what pins the magnetic switch shorting when the cover installed ( by triggering it with any magnetic)

please help us!   

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lupohki
(@lupohki)

Hi, I recently picked up a "for parts" Razer Core V2 on Facebook Marketplace.  The seller said it stopped turning on and took it apart.  I do not know if the board is damaged or if it's maybe because of an issue with the magnetic sensor.  I have all of the pieces and am trying to get it to work.  I was confused on how to put it back together in the case, so I thought I would start by just connecting the PSU to the board.  I found a pin out of the power supply in this thread ( https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/external-psu-for-the-razer-core-v2/paged/2/ ) and bridged the PWRON with a GRD to turn the PSU on.  I checked the voltages of all of the other pins with a multimeter and they are good, so I know at least the PSU works.  When I plug the cable into my Macbook Pro though I get nothing.  I read in this thread about the magnetic sensor on the LED strip.  I have the LED strip and the magnet, but I don't see where the magnet is supposed to go.  I've never used the Razer Core before, but I think I should see some reaction on the Macbook even if I don't have a video card plugged in, right?  I'm not that familiar with MacOS, but it's the only device I have available with Thunderbolt.

Edit: I found a Youtube showing where the magnet goes and I think I reproduced the placement (see imgur pics), but I still don't see any reaction on the Macbook Pro :(.

Edit2: I removed the PWRON/GRD bridge on the PSU and played with the magnet location some more, but still was not able to get it to turn on.  I tried @wedel jumper method and it turned on!  The fans that I connected to the LED strip turned on and my Macbook Pro showed charging.  I don't have a gpu handy right now as they're installed in some SFF cases that are a pain to remove.  Let me know if you guys want me to test anything since I have all of the Razer Core V2 parts.  Again, I was not able to get it to turn on playing with the magnet.  

Edit3: I figured out why the magnet didn't work.  On my LED strip, I'm missing a little chip by the area where the magnet would be located when the case is in the closed position.  You can see I'm missing it in the 4th image in the imgur link.  I found out about it when I saw this pic that has it ( https://egpu.io/forums/postid/80227/ ). I guess the previous owner desoldered it in attempting to troubleshoot the no start problem.  There are 3 contacts where the chip would mount.  I tried bridging each of those points to each other to see if that would start it, but it didn't work.  Looks like I'll have to stick to @wedel jumper method.

https://imgur.com/a/JoVLdTv

Edit4: Did some more research.  The chip that I'm missing is labeled 'X327', which is a transistor.  My electronics knowledge is limited, but I found out some info about how the sensor probably works by googling "hall effect transistor".  I noticed I'm also missing some resistors in that area too.  Anyways, to switch the device on, I don't think you need to care about the LED strip or the magnetic sensor if you just bridge the jumper that @wedel pointed out. 

https://imgur.com/a/NCVs6FI

This post was modified 3 months ago

stephenfin and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
stephenfin
(@stephenfin)

Posted by: @adam_ahmed

Hi all,

I tried this method and didn’t work for me neither!

with one Power supply out of three I have, one only got the fan spinning, the laptop detect the usb device but the gpu didn’t get detected (I even tried GT730 which don’t need 6pin power for no avail) no power comes out from the 6pin gpu plug. No gpu detection even if I feed the graphic card with the 6pin directly from the power supply. 
if anybody can give more information or solution that will be highly appreciated.

if the two pins shorting sort it out for one of our forum member that mean we don’t need special arrangement, we just need some one who has the actual core v2 box to check what pins the magnetic switch shorting when the cover installed ( by triggering it with any magnetic)

please help us!   

I was also able to get this to power on using jumpered pins. I'm using a ThinkPad T490s running Fedora 32 and an ancient Radeon HD 5670 for testing purposes. I did have some issues at the start, as I could see the USB device appearing in dmesg output but no sign of the PCIe bridge nor the GPU itself. I eventually got it going thought through a series of power cycles and reboots of the laptop, which leads me to think that it's probably a bit flaky and needs some massaging. Keep trying, and make sure you're definitely using a ThunderBold-compatible port on your device.

Razer Core v2 Aliexpress board + Lenovo ThinkPad T490s + Radeon RX 470

2019 14" Lenovo ThinkPad T490s [8th,4C,U] + RX 470 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Linux Fedora 32 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  8