Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4

Notifications
Clear all

Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4  

of  3
  RSS

timot.mo
(@timot-mo)

So I was "Lucky" last week that I got to purchase a 5900X at AMD. 

I'm thinking about pairing it with the new Asus ProArt Creator. It looks nice. I also like how it's clear where the TB4 lanes are coming from, sharing with the 3rd PCIE port which I don't plan on utilizing. 

If somebody sees a eGPU red flag on this, please let me know. Otherwise I'll report my results when the MB becomes available. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/ProArt/ProArt-B550-CREATOR/

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@timot-mo, That's a very nice motherboard and maybe the first AMD option with Thunderbolt 4. You can either go with Thunderbolt eGPU or M.2 socket with the ADT-Link R43SG.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)

@itsage, that m.2 solution is pretty cool! I can actually use that with my current system but I’m not sure 50mm of length is long enough.  They say the 70mm may effect bandwidth.. do you have any experience with the longer cable? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)

Actually, I think 50mm is fine... think I'm going to give this a go.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@timot-mo, I have only used the 50mm version. I've seen people using an extender to protect the computer M.2 socket so it may not effect performance by much.

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)

@itsage, Hey I just got the ADT-Link R43SG . and just wanted to say thanks for showing me this, mine just arrived from AliExpress and man I plugged it in and away it went. Now I have a RTX 3090 and a 1080ti rendering away. 

My ocrtane render times have been cut down by almost 25% which is significant when you think about rendering 24 frames for each second. 

Just amazing, very pleased.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@timot-mo, I'm glad to hear it was straight forward in your system. That's a significant performance boost! Does the connected M.2 slot has access to PCIe 4.0? I'm asking because many of us would be curious to know if the ADT-Link R43SG can actually run at full 4 lanes at PCIe 4.0. You may be the first to have this setup working. Use AID64 GPGPU or CUDA-Z Performance to see the bandwidth through this m.2 eGPU connection.

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)

@itsage, I don't at the moment, this is a z390 board, I do have the new ASUS ProArt B550-Creator board on the way but as you know the open M.2 at the base is 3.0. I'm curious though, you have the Vision D. can we give that top M.2 a go and see what happens? Just run the boot on either SATA SSD or the bottom M.2? Or are you curious how it works through the chipset lanes?

I too would rather know how well this does on PCIE 4.0 running through the chipset I'm tempted to return the B550 board and pick up a X570, however as much as I'm pleased with the results of the R43SG it's still a bit messy. In the long run I may prefer to get an enclosure and use the onboard Thunderbolt 4.0 on the Asus.

Still in the end it's nice either way to see such good rendering power on a sort of entry level home workstation.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@timot-mo, I meant to test it on my Vision D desktops (Z490 & B550). Ideally, the eGPU would perform best through a connection to the CPU directly.

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)

Just to note in case anyone is actually considering a set up like mine. (Probably not, but) I got the ASUS ProArt B550-Creator with Thunderbolt 4 working perfectly with a Razer Core X. Set up was pretty close to plug in play, I first got an error code 12 on the GPU in the device manager but after a reboot, everything is working as intended. 

I think I'm a rare case wanting to add an eGPU to a desktop but I can't add in anymore video cards with an RTX 3090 non blower style card. That thing runs too damn hot as it is. I wish that I did have a blower style but only Gigabyte is making them and we can't be picky these days about brands if we actually do get the opportunity to buy a new high end GPU. . So throwing another video card into an eGPU has been a pretty good solution I think. All this so I can reduce rendering times as much as possible. 

I'm getting about the same rendering times as I did with the ADT-Link R43SG but as cool as that thing is, that set up was just too messy for me.  

The ASUS ProArt board is performing very well.  Look forward to utilizing more devices with Thunderbolt 4. 

ReplyQuote
 of  3