Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4

Notifications
Clear all

Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4  

of  5
  RSS

Álex Rodríguez
(@alex_rodriguez)

@timot-mo, I was thinking about that kind of setup. Good to know it works. Thank you 

Macbook Pro 13” 2018 (i7-8559U, 16 GB RAM)

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

@alex_rodriguez, Yeah Alex, it's been working great.. I did run into one minor issue. An nvidia process called NVContainer or something was causing shutdown delays and every so often the eGPU wouldn't connect on startup requiring a couple of shutdowns and restarts. I've since disable NVContainer from starting in services and now everything is solid and working perfectly. 

Thunderbolt 4 on this Asus board is really nice. Especially since it's with a Ryzen CPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

odin liked
ReplyQuote
Álex Rodríguez
(@alex_rodriguez)

@timot-mo, I have a Razer Core X Chroma with Radeon 6700XT, so I guess it won’t be affected by that Nvidia problem. Now it’s working fine on my MacBook Pro 2018 but using Windows 10 (rev 1903 which don’t have support anymore since some days ago).

I didn’t buy the motherboard and the processor (Ryzen 5 5600X) yet. I hope I get them soon and I can share my experience.

Thanks a lot!

This post was modified 5 months ago

ReplyQuote
Álex Rodríguez
(@alex_rodriguez)

Hi,

I got my Asus ProArt-B550-Creator with Ryzen 5 5600X, but my setup is not working...

First of all, I didn’t notice the processor doesn’t have integrated graphics, so I need to use my old Nvidia GTX 970 to start the computer. Working fine.

Then I connected the eGPU (Razer Core X Chroma + Radeon RX 6700 XT) to the Thunderbolt 4, the computer recognized it and I installed drivers from AMD website without any problem. But the eGPU is not working and the device manager shows the infamous code 12 error.

Any idea to solve it?

Thank you all!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@alex_rodriguez, Go into BIOS and see if enabling "Above 4GB Decoding" would resolve error 12 for you. Make sure to cold-plug the eGPU (connected before power on). Many versions of Windows 10 do not work well with Radeon eGPU through hot-plug.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

@alex_rodriguez, Curious, why are you running your main GPU as an eGPU?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @timot-mo

@alex_rodriguez, Curious, why are you running your main GPU as an eGPU?

I was wondering the same, I think it's so it can easily be switched from the desktop to the MacBook Pro? In a world with sane GPU prices could just get two. Smile

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

@odin, Yeah I came to the same conclusion after I posted that. Such a shame to have to share GPUs especially with  so much performance is being left on the table. @alex_rodriguez I got the code 12 first time as well, for me, the eGPU is only recognized and working on a fresh boot as @itsage mentioned. Never a reboot. Also, in my case and I'm pretty sure the same will be for you, we can't have anything in the third PCIe slot and nothing on the other thunderbolt port at boot time. However I can plug something in that port after boot. 

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @timot-mo

@odin, Yeah I came to the same conclusion after I posted that. Such a shame to have to share GPUs especially with  so much performance is being left on the table. @alex_rodriguez I got the code 12 first time as well, for me, the eGPU is only recognized and working on a fresh boot as @itsage mentioned. Never a reboot. Also, in my case and I'm pretty sure the same will be for you, we can't have anything in the third PCIe slot and nothing on the other thunderbolt port at boot time. However I can plug something in that port after boot. 

I was thinking about building a budget desktop (maybe i5-11400) and just moving my 2070 to that, but I'd need to find a case where it could be a quiet system and not much bigger than the eGPU box (I have my monitor sitting on top of it right now.. kind of a covid WFH crap setup.. too much things lying around due to shared space nature of it). But it's hard to build a quiet desktop that small, right now the laptop is basically silent and the eGPU just has a low annoyance whoosh. I think right now I'll just not spend any money and just go with what I have. 

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@odin, The i5 Mac mini with 4x TB3 ports is a very good choice. NUC systems are nice too. If you want to have a fully modular ITX, look into a case like InWin Chopin.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

odin liked
ReplyQuote
 of  5