Notifications
Clear all

Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4  

of  4
  RSS

timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

@odin, Just to add another.. I really like the SSUPD Meshlicious case, that should be able to hold your 2070 and it's roughly the same size as a Razer Core X

Link to SSUPD https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

dsc00841( 2048x1154

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

odin liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @timot-mo

@odin, Just to add another.. I really like the SSUPD Meshlicious case, that should be able to hold your 2070 and it's roughly the same size as a Razer Core X

Link to SSUPD https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

dsc00841( 2048x1154

That's a cool case, but too tall. I basically have the eGPU sitting behind my laptop using dual stacked vertically monitors basically. Unfortunately have no room to move horizontally.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Álex Rodríguez
(@alex_rodriguez)

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to return the Razer Core X Chroma and the Radeon 6700 XT.

My idea was having the eGPU to use with both MacBook Pro and desktop, as you said. But I found out several issues:

• No drivers for MacOS and probably they won’t be
  • Error 12 on Windows 10 (Bootcamp in MBP) which only workaround is having Windows 10 rev 1903 (now out of support)
  • Error 12 on Windows 10 on desktop (I didn’t try the solution you suggested)

The “stupid” reason I bought this setup was I couldn’t play Baldur’s Gate 3 on desktop (AMD A10-7850K and GTX 970) as it was about 15 fps at minimum graphics. And I thought it was because GTX 970 wasn’t enough. When trying BG3 with 6700 XT on MBP it worked great.

Yesterday I received the new motherboard and the Ryzen 5600X, so I changed the previous one but I had to use the GTX 970 to start the computer (the motherboard needs a VGA card because 5600X has no integrated graphics). Everything was working fine.

I decided to try BG3 again with the new processor and I was very surprised it was working at 40 fps (1080p) with ultra graphics using the same old GPU. I realized all of this was because the old processor.

I don’t play any games that need very powerful setups, so this new Ryzen setup is fine for me.

The idea of the eGPU 6700 XT is fine if I could use it on MacOS and Windows (Bootcamp and desktop). But nothing was working the way I want. So better save the money for future better setups.

Thanks everyone for your help! You are great!

Macbook Pro 13” 2018 (i7-8559U, 16 GB RAM)

odin liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Just to keep the desktop talk going for, probably no reason. I found this case that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1179609-REG/silverstone_sg11b_micro_atx_chassis_with_3.html

It's the same height as the Sonnet at about 20-21cm but just a little bit larger footprint overall which is fine, it was really the height that was the most important part I can handle a little larger in depth and length and still keep it within the footprint of the monitor itself.

Pricing out a good mobo with WiFi, Ryzen 5 5600X, PSU, RAM, low profile heatsink (needs to be <= 82mm) and a nice quiet mechanical keyboard (Razer BlackWidow Lite) the whole thing comes out to ~ $933 USD after taxes and shipping since I can just transfer my 2070 over and I have plenty of SSDs lying around. I'd probably take the two nVME's I added out of the Gram and put some SATA m.2's back in it. Checking fan max dbA on all the components it seems like the 2070 is still going to be the loudest part by a few dbA, so no change there really.

I was originally looking at perhaps getting the MSI Creator Z16 when that comes out as I'd need to at least get something I'd be as happy with (aside from limiting 4c low wattage performance) as the Gram 17. At less than a third of the cost after taxes and shipping and not really changing my gaming setup at all, and leaving just as much room for the laptop to be in the mix when needed, I think that's way better option for me. And I can still keep the Sonnet and use it later for another laptop or even some super small TB supporting mini/NUC type PC for the living room. 

Now the problem is talking significant other into it, which most likely won't be a huge issue given saving about $1700.

I'll have to think on it for a bit just to be sure, but it would definitely boost gaming performance non-trivially and still keep the same general workflow for me as gaming was the only reason I need a GPU on the laptop, there was nothing non-gaming related I need a GPU above integrated graphics for.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

@alex_rodriguez, Well at least you figured out it was a CPU bottleneck. If you bought the 6700XT at retail you may be able to sell it for a bit of profit on ebay, but yeah even if it all worked your situation wasn't ideal in that you would have had that 6700XT operating at say 80% through the eGPU leaving a lot of performance out to dry. The only reason I'm using an eGPU in a desktop is that I have a RTX 3090 and I can't safely add another video card to the second PCIE slot without risking a melt down from all the heat produced. As neat and interesting as they are I'm of the opinion that GPUs are sort of a clunky solution when you can build a dedicated PC for gaming for just a couple hundred more dollars...(if you already own the peripherals of course) and when prices are not insane as they now.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

@odin, Interesting case and you can fit an Micro-ATX Motherboard too just make sure it's a good one. Manufactures sometimes don't put as much love into these as they do their ITX line. I remember looking for Z370 M-ATX and they were all just awful. But times may have changed. If there's a good X570 or B550, it's always nice to have that extra expansion slot. Especially since you have room for it.

odin liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @timot-mo

@odin, Interesting case and you can fit an Micro-ATX Motherboard too just make sure it's a good one. Manufactures sometimes don't put as much love into these as they do their ITX line. I remember looking for Z370 M-ATX and they were all just awful. But times may have changed. If there's a good X570 or B550, it's always nice to have that extra expansion slot. Especially since you have room for it.

I'm actually eyeing an i5-11400 system instead, I can save another $100 there, I don't think it's really going to matter much for gaming between the two. There seems to be good Micro-ATX boards for both platforms (AM4, LGA1200) both B550 for AMD and B560 for Intel.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

So I ended up ordering the following stuff, I put a little extra into the mobo quality and went with a Ryzen 5 3600 for $100 less than the 5600X (which wasn't in stock anyway), the theory there being I can upgrade down the road to a 5800X down the road when I have a GPU that would actually take advantage of it. A 2070 isn't quite powerful enough to need more than that based on my resarch.

Case Silverstone SG12 Only case out there worth anything that's only 8 inches tall.
CPU  Ryzen 5 3600 Good enough at $200
Mobo MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI AM4 Micro-ATX $50 more than I wanted to spend but it's good quality, has a better WiFi chip than others, and 2x m.2 2280, I'd feel confident in it down the road upgrading to up to 5950X, but realistically I'd probably go 5800X + 3070Ti
PSU Corsair RM650X Consistently reviewed as very quiet. I might need to go 750W in the future but this is good for now.
RAM Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 (2 x 8GB) Seems fine
CPU Cooler be quiet! Shadow Rock LP Air Cooler Case requires < 82mm height cooler, this seems like a good one.
Extra Case fans be quiet! Pure Wings 2 80mm Fan I have to rip out all the drive bays to get the video card to fit (too long and wide), which means also removing the 120mm case fan that is attached to the bay.  there's two 80mm fan spots in there, so I'll install these.
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Lite

Silent "Mechanical" keyboard, even comes with o-rings you can install to make it even quieter.

Adding in the stuff I already have which is the Asus Strix OC Edition 2070, and two Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe drives.

Came in at $940 for the stuff I don't have. I could have gotten even lower cheaping-out on the keyboard and motherboard, but I'd rather put some money into those and scale back the CPU a little as I will not notice the difference between the 3600 and 5600X with just a 2070.

Now gotta think of what I'm going to do with the eGPU enclosure in the future when buying a GPU will actually be a sane experience again.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@timot.mo thanks for all the time and research put into this motherboard. It looks like a good choice for the setup I want. I have been wanting to pair down my current rig which has a Ryzen 3950x and 2 GPUs - RTX 2070 Super and a GTX 1080. I have them in a huge case and it is just too large and hot for my taste. In the summer, my studio is like an oven. I also do heavy 3D rendering with Redshift and Octane.

So I'm looking into moving everything into a smaller stylish case (love that Meshlicious one you shared!) And then putting the GTX 1080 into a Razer Core eGPU box. So I will need to get a Thunderbolt AMD motherboard. I had been reading some very mixed reviews about the ProArt B550 on Amazon, so I'm glad to hear you have been using it without issues and you are using it exactly as I would be Sweaty  

Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core CPU
64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD
RTX 2070 Super and GTX 1080 dGPUs

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@timot-mo, so after talking with a local pc tech support guy, it seems like this mobo would be too large to fit into one of the Meshlicious cases or a similar smaller case. What case are you currently using? I'm starting to think that my "build down" setup may not be possible. The only other small mobo that supports Ryzen CPUs along with Thunderbolt 3 is the ASRock Phantom Gaming X570 board, and I've heard lots of mixed reviews in regards to getting an eGPU via Thunderbolt 3 to work with it properly. I am really jazzed about the possibilities with this ASUS Proart B500-Creator mobo, but it will probably be too large for the setup that I'd like, unfortunately 🙁

Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core CPU
64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD
RTX 2070 Super and GTX 1080 dGPUs

ReplyQuote
 of  4