Clear all

Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4  

of  5
  RSS

timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @supaiku

@timot-mo, so after talking with a local pc tech support guy, it seems like this mobo would be too large to fit into one of the Meshlicious cases or a similar smaller case. What case are you currently using? I'm starting to think that my "build down" setup may not be possible. The only other small mobo that supports Ryzen CPUs along with Thunderbolt 3 is the ASRock Phantom Gaming X570 board, and I've heard lots of mixed reviews in regards to getting an eGPU via Thunderbolt 3 to work with it properly. I am really jazzed about the possibilities with this ASUS Proart B500-Creator mobo, but it will probably be too large for the setup that I'd like, unfortunately 🙁

@supaiku So I'm using a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact. I'm very happy with it. Do keep in mind that the smaller the case the more likely you'll have heat issues although you're in the same frame of thought as I was in keeping one Video card external. You almost don't have a choice on an ATX motherboard if your card takes up 3 slots like the 3090 does. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Sjs999
(@sjs999)

@timot-mo

Hey Timot

I've got a very similar setup. Asus b550-creator with a Razer Chroma. I've got 2 blower-style 3060s in the tower and I'm trying to get the Razer working with an additional 2080. Did you have to change/update your Bios to get your system working? I can't get around the Code 12. Windows sees the card in the EGPU, but seems as if it's an either/or situation - i.e. I can't get all 3 working at the same time. Any ideas?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Álex Rodríguez
(@alex_rodriguez)

@sjs999

Try this: https://egpu.io/forums/postid/95712/

I couldn’t try because I returned my setup. Tell us if it works for you.

Macbook Pro 13” 2018 (i7-8559U, 16 GB RAM)

ReplyQuote
Sjs999
(@sjs999)

@alex_rodriguez

Unfortunately I've tried that. No dice. I know that there was a mention of the TB4 running through the PCIe3 bus. Not quite sure which PCI slot in the motherboard that corresponds to. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@sjs999, that very well could be the issue. I had a similar problem adding an M.2 drive to my current setup as it turned out my 2nd GPU was using up the PCIE lane that would have supplied power to the M.2 drive. It's too bad that there are so few options for Thunderbolt with AMD CPUs. Years ago when I had an Intel CPU, I was able to run 3 GPUs, with the third connected via Thunderbolt externally. I still definitely had issues now and then but for the most part it worked and I could hot plug the eGPU.

Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core CPU
64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD
RTX 2070 Super and GTX 1080 dGPUs

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @timot-mo

@supaiku So I'm using a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact. I'm very happy with it. Do keep in mind that the smaller the case the more likely you'll have heat issues although you're in the same frame of thought as I was in keeping one Video card external. You almost don't have a choice on an ATX motherboard if your card takes up 3 slots like the 3090 does. 

Thanks for that info! So it looks like you are using a fairly standard mid-sized tower. I'm now considering the Corsair iCUE 220T RGB. So do you still have to turn on the eGPU during startup, or have you been able to get it to work while Windows is already running?

64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD

ReplyQuote
Sjs999
(@sjs999)

@supaiku

Just wanted to let anyone following along who may have the same issue that I solved it. Flashing the Asus Creator Bios with the newest (2040 Beta) version fixed all of the issues. Now rendering with 3x 3070s!  

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @sjs999

@supaiku

Just wanted to let anyone following along who may have the same issue that I solved it. Flashing the Asus Creator Bios with the newest (2040 Beta) version fixed all of the issues. Now rendering with 3x 3070s!  

That's so awesome, glad to hear you got it working with all three of your GPUs!! When you are using the eGPU, are you able to turn it on and off while Windows is loaded, or do you have to do a full restart of Windows and turn it on during boot? I ask because I only need to use my 2nd GPU - which I would be using as the eGPU - while rendering, but not during most tasks. I'd like to have it off while working, but then be able to turn it on before rendering on demand.

64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD

ReplyQuote
timot.mo
(@timot-mo)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @supaiku
Posted by: @timot-mo

Thanks for that info! So it looks like you are using a fairly standard mid-sized tower. I'm now considering the Corsair iCUE 220T RGB. So do you still have to turn on the eGPU during startup, or have you been able to get it to work while Windows is already running?

Cool, yeah it's recommended that you turn on your eGPU before start up. But Ive had it work both ways. 

Posted by: @sjs999

@supaiku

This is interesting. I've only had my one 3090 under the hood and a 1080ti on the Razer. So I wasn't aware with with any issues having two GPUs on the motherboard. Technically is should have worked making the two egpu switch to 8X lanes. Glad to know that the 2040 made it work.

The latest stable BIOS updates are a must on this board. I was experiencing the USB issues common to this generation of ryzen CPUs. All in the clear now. 

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@timot-mo, so interesting little dilemna that I've encountered and wondering if this happened to you. So I got the ASUS Proart Creator board, got all my components moved over to it and placed in a stylish white Corsair RGB case. BIOS is fully up-to-date and the Thunderbolt software is working just fine, eGPU is working though I do have to do a cold boot for it to properly function (turning it on after booting into Windows, the enclosure shows up in the Thunderbolt software, but I have to do a restart once enabling the 2nd GPU in Device Manager). But the problem is that once the eGPU is working, I can't connect any other devices to the other Thunderbolt port. I get the Error Code 12 in Device Manager. Now, if I have the eGPU turned off, the other device will connect properly.

Do you think this is a bandwidth issue on the Thunderbolt controller? Is the eGPU taking up too much bandwidth? I can attach two harddrives, one to each Thunderbolt port on the board and both will be recognized and work properly. But I can't get the eGPU and one other harddrive to work at the same time. Maybe there is something I need to adjust in the BIOS? I've enabled above 4G decoding. Another interesting thing is that when the eGPU is activated, in the BIOS and in Windows, it seems to be viewed as an internal PCIE device, not as an external Thunderbolt device. So maybe that is the issue?

64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD

ReplyQuote
 of  5