Notifications
Clear all

Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4  

of  6
  RSS

Sjs999
(@sjs999)

@supaiku

I'm getting the exact same issue. The EGPU prevents the Thunderbolt controller from working. Which is a bummer as I wanted to connect my Mac to the Asus via thunderbolt for a fast LAN.

I'll let you know if I can figure out how to work around it.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@sjs999

At least I'm not the only one experiencing this issue! It sounds like maybe there is an issue with the bandwidth on the thunderbolt controllers of this motherboard? It can only handle the eGPU and nothing else, or two lower powered thunderbolt devices, but not a combination of eGPU and lower powered thunderbolt device.

@itsage do you have any ideas what might be going on here?

Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core CPU
64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD
RTX 2070 Super and GTX 1080 dGPUs

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@supaiku, I have tried different motherboards with Thunderbolt (both on-board and AIC). The general expectation is that Windows can't host more than one eGPU through the Thunderbolt connection. Nvidia cards may have an easier time working but I have not been able to get two or more eGPUs going with Windows systems.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@itsage,

I think you may have misunderstood the issue from my earlier post. I'm not trying to get two eGPUs working on this motherboard. I'm just trying to get one eGPU and one other device, like a harddrive, working via the 2nd thunderbolt port at the same time. So as it stands right now, I can either get one eGPU working and nothing else on the other thunderbolt port, or two regular devices like harddrives on each thunderbolt port. So my speculation is that once the eGPU is connected, it eats up all the thunderbolt bandwidth, rendering the other thunderbolt port obsolete. I do also have an internal GPU installed on the board's 1st PCIE slot.

64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD

ReplyQuote
wildfear
(@wildfear)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

The general expectation is that Windows can't host more than one eGPU through the Thunderbolt connection.

Nvidia cards may have an easier time working but I have not been able to get two or more eGPUs going with Windows systems.

This is not with desktop motherboard but dual nvidia eGPU works on my last laptop and windows 10, even with heavy loads like crypto :

Capture d’écran 2021 08 25 195444
Capture d’écran 2021 08 25 195634
Capture d’écran 2021 08 25 203635

Each eGPu is on on of the 2 TB4 port, no daisy chain.

2021 16" Lenovo Legion 5i Pro Gen 6 (RTX3060) [11th,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@supaiku, Sorry I should have clarified more in my response. I mentioned two eGPU configuration because that's what I had personally tested. In the context of multiple PCI devices, that should apply to your situation. Do you see any [Above 4G] option in the BIOS? 

@wildfear, Thank you for sharing that success. I was referencing Thunderbolt connection on motherboard configuration. Laptops tend to do better with handling more than one PCI devices through Thunderbolt connection. I had success with 2x AMD eGPUs through Boot Camp with a 2016 15-in MacBook Pro before and that configuration took some effort.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@itsage, I have already enabled Above 4G decoding in the bios but that did not change anything. It seems like it should be possible to connect an eGPU and one Thunderbolt/USB-C harddrive to this motherboard at the same time.

64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD

ReplyQuote
Заур Марчануков
(@marchanukov)

I recently purchased an Asus b550 Creator motherboard and four 3090 video cards, two AUROS RTX 3090 BOX (eGPU) b and two Gigabyte 3090 turbo (takes two slots) AMD r 3600 processor, in the hope that this is all assembled, I have will work. But I was disappointed in the form of an error with code 12. I was sure that it would work, since last week I assembled the same configuration from a GPU and eGPU but with an Asus Z490 Creator-10g motherboard and an Intel i3-10300 processor. What I just didn’t do with the BIOS settings, updated to the latest version, didn’t help. The settings in the task manager did not lead to success either. Maybe someone else managed to run two external video cards at the same time? I don't even have one. Continuously error code12 🙁

This post was modified 3 months ago

ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G, Intel Core i3-10100F, GIGABYTE RTX 3090 AORUS GAMING BOX x2 и GIGABYTE 3090Turbo x2 (working configuration)
ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 BOX, GIGABYTE RTX 3090 AORUS GAMING BOX x2 и GIGABYTE 3090Turbo x2 (not working configuration)

ReplyQuote
humblenumbers
(@humblenumbers)

Posted by: @marchanukov

I recently purchased an Asus b550 Creator motherboard and four 3090 video cards, two AUROS RTX 3090 BOX (eGPU) b and two Gigabyte 3090 turbo (takes two slots) AMD r 3600 processor, in the hope that this is all assembled, I have will work. But I was disappointed in the form of an error with code 12. I was sure that it would work, since last week I assembled the same configuration from a GPU and eGPU but with an Asus Z490 Creator-10g motherboard and an Intel i3-10300 processor. What I just didn’t do with the BIOS settings, updated to the latest version, didn’t help. The settings in the task manager did not lead to success either. Maybe someone else managed to run two external video cards at the same time? I don't even have one. Continuously error code12 🙁

I was able to connect 4 eGPUs to Asus B550-CREATOR via a TB4 hub, however, this setup was extremely unstable and either won't boot into Windows at all, or will crash soon after log on. Nevertheless, I got two successful boots with 4 eGPUs connected via TB (3 eGPUs via hub that was connected to the first dedicated TB4 port + one eGPU to the second dedicated TB4 port). All eGPUs were seen on the device manager and initialized correctly, and I even managed to put a load on them, but the OS would froze within a few minutes after log on anyway.

I ended up connecting just three Gigabyte AORUS 3080 BOX'es via Plugable Thunderbolt 4 hub + one GPU (AMD RX 6600) is connected to the PCIe slot that is closest to the CPU.

This setup is stable and all GPUs work correctly even under a heavy load. My setup is as follows:

MB: Asus B550-CREATOR (latest BIOS firmware as of Oct,20 2021)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600G

RAM: 16 GB

eGPUs: 3x Gigabyte AORUS 3080

TB HUB: Plugable Thunderbolt 4 HUB

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600

STORAGE: M.2 Samsung EVO 1TB

OS: Windows 11 (latest build with all updates as of Oct, 20 2021)

I'll continue digging into the stability issues when all 4 eGPUs are connected via TB4 ports, hopefully, there's a workaround that is yet to be found.

PS: this setup is extremely sensitive to whether the HDMI output cable is plugged in or not. If none of the HDMI outputs on the eGPUS are occupied, all of the eGPUS (or some of them) may end up uninitialized during the cold boot.

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@humblenumbers, that is a really impressive setup you've got going on there! I'm curious about the Thunderbolt 4 hub you are using, could you please share that? Also what is your boot process and BIOS settings for the motherboard that allow you to run multiple eGPUs on this board? I was only ever able to get one eGPU working via one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports, but nothing else connected to the other Thunderbolt 4 port would work (even just regular USB-C harddrives). I also could not get Windows to initialize the eGPU when plugging it in after boot (I am using the latest build of Windows 10 btw). Windows recognizes it as a connected Thunderbolt device, but I would have to restart in order for it to initialize. And if I had another device connected to the other port, that device would stop working after restarting Windows, only the eGPU would be recognized and nothing else. I ended up putting my 2nd graphics card into PCIE Slot 3 because I just got sick of the instability of the eGPU, so now I have two internal GPUs and no eGPU setup.

Also how are you able to run Nvidia and AMD cards at the same time with no stability issues???

64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD

ReplyQuote
 of  6