Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4

Notifications
Clear all

Asus ProArt-B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4  

of  6
  RSS

humblenumbers
(@humblenumbers)

@supaiku, here's the TB4 HUB I'm connecting the 3080 boxes with: https://plugable.com/products/tbt4-hub3c

Nothing special for the BIOS setup, really:

- "Above 4G decoding" to enabled

- "Thunderbolt security" to disabled

There's a bunch of other settings I'm going to test that might help me make the build more stable: PCIe GEN 1/2/3, PCIe X2/x4 modes, increasing the pagefile etc. Haven't played with these yet.

The trick is in finding the 'sweet spot' eGPU to connect the HDMI cable to, so that each eGPU is getting initialized by BIOS on POST (you can tell by the RGB lights on the egpu box itself) and later by Windows. I've ordered a few HDMI display emulators to trick the boxes into thinking that monitors are connected to them, this might also be helpful. Haven't yet received the dummy plugs to test this theory out, though.

As to AMD/NVIDIA mixed setup, I guess it's still far from being stable. Adrenalin crashes if HDMI isn't plugged into the RX 6600, however, the AMD GPU can still be overclocked via MSI Afterburner. 'NVIDIA container' is also a huge mess, as it constantly (like each second) spams meaningless empty notifications when 3+ eGPUs are connected. Nevertheless, despite these minor drawbacks, it's still an internal AMD GPU with 3 NVIDIA eGPUs connected to a single MB and ready to crush the numbers.

Also, the instability with 4 eGPUs might be caused by drivers/software, as all four eGPUs are being initialized just fine on safe boot, whereas standard Windows boot procedure fails with a crash.

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
humblenumbers
(@humblenumbers)

Update: had a few more lucky boot-ups with all 4 eGPUs successfully initialized, but still no luck achieving this result on every boot. MB BIOS settings seem to have little to no impact on stability and boot. So, here's what I came to:

4 eGPUs on Asus B550-Creator - possible, but extremely unstable.

3 eGPUs - quite stable, but requires a display connected to one of the eGPUs during cold boot, otherwise the Error 12 is kicking in.

I would appreciate any help in getting rid of Error 12 when none of eGPU has an HDMI with live monitor plugged in.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @humblenumbers

Update: had a few more lucky boot-ups with all 4 eGPUs successfully initialized, but still no luck achieving this result on every boot. MB BIOS settings seem to have little to no impact on stability and boot. So, here's what I came to:

4 eGPUs on Asus B550-Creator - possible, but extremely unstable.

3 eGPUs - quite stable, but requires a display connected to one of the eGPUs during cold boot, otherwise the Error 12 is kicking in.

I would appreciate any help in getting rid of Error 12 when none of eGPU has an HDMI with live monitor plugged in.

Very nice man, I'd say you have a pretty amazing setup with the 3 eGPUs and one internal GPU. What was the process for getting both of the Nvidia and AMD drivers to work at the same time? I have a spare Radeon VII that I could throw into my eGPU box but not sure what the proper process is for getting that to work alongside my two internal Nvidia GPUs. And by cold boot I assume you mean that you are connecting the eGPU before the computer boots, not after it has already loaded Windows, am I right?

Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core CPU
64GB RAM @ 2666 Mhz
1 TB SSD
RTX 2070 Super and GTX 1080 dGPUs

ReplyQuote
Hampan
(@hampan)

I've got this motherboard + 5950x + Samsung 980 pro nvme in first nvme port + 3070 internal gpu in first pcie port + Razer X chroma with 3060 in it. 

Running windows 21H2.

I'm running the latest bios + latest thunderbolt drivers. 

I get code 12 on the Thunderbolt controller, no devices shown in the thunderbolt central. 

(To add to the weirdness, all of a sudden , at one point: the device manager refreshed and the code 12 disappeared and thunderbolt central showed my razer x) it happened once, but never again 😮

However! My 3060 works as intended and shows as ok in device manager + nvidia settings. 

So, how can this be? Also noticing that if I have my mouse connected to my KVM switch in one of my displays, it stops working after a while.

Everything else connected to that KVM works over time though. 

Using the USB on the front panel creates no issues with the mouse any more. 

A bit baffled. 

Any thoughts?

Br,

Hamp

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@hampan, Do you have Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS? Try changing the Security settings and increase Memory Allocation per port if possible.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Hampan
(@hampan)

@itsage, Thank you for helping out. I was just about to write as I think I have made it work consistently now. 

I have it running both on pop! OS Linux and Windows 11.

I had both those settings in bios from the getgo. 

In pop, the setup just worked from the start, just by adding a line "allow egpu" in xorg nvidia conf. 

In windows there was a whole other story. 

Used ASUS armoury to install all drivers. 

Then I would get code 12 on different things, like the tb controller, downstream pcie port or the gpu itself. Sometimes tb control would not show anything connected, but GPU's working, razer software launched even. Since I wanted efi boot, and Win11 won't install with CSM module loaded I had disabled that. 

After win 11 installation with code 12 on the egpu, I turned on CSM as a last, desperate attempt and VOILA! 

Everything up and running, no error codes anywhere and ran gpu rendering benchmarks with good score Smile

I don't exactly understand why. But it works. 

1x3070 internal + 1x3060 external with 2x4K Displays. 

Hope this can be of any use to someone experiencing similar problems. 

This post was modified 6 days ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@hampan, Nice troubleshooting! Windows has always been a headache with setting up eGPU. A lot of the time and trial and error to find the right configuration on your motherboard/laptop to resolve error 12.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Hampan
(@hampan)

@itsage, Thanks, phew. It took a while. Seems like TB on Windows is immature to say the least. 

My only previous experience was using the egpu on an Intel laptop, where it tells me that the egpu might not work. But it does. 

I was happy to see how smoothly it worked on a modern Linux distro, to me there is where I'll have most use since I do my heavy rendering there. 

Finally AMD + TB egpu! Loving it. 

This post was modified 6 days ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  6