Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard with Thunderbolt 3

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard with Thunderbolt 3  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

This is the second motherboard for AMD CPU with Thunderbolt 3 built-in. It's very similar in I/O arrangement with the Z490 Vision D. In fact it uses the same Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller and DP-IN. Due to no certification, the product website describes these ports as USB-C with Titan Ridge! 😀 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10 - The section on USB-C with Titan Ridge even shows the Thunderbolt logo and 40Gb/s. A fun way to get around Intel's certification.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Only one DisplayPort input though. Good enough for a 4K display but not 5K or more.

The ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G has two DisplayPort inputs. Other motherboards with two DisplayPort inputs are X299. I can't find an AMD motherboard with two DisplayPort inputs. What was the motherboard that had one DisplayPort input on the back panel and another on the motherboard itself? I forget...

I think Google has a problem searching Gigabyte motherboards (like the page doesn't fully render when it's scanning for words) so only the title is known. For example, I can search for:

"b550" "vision" site:gigabyte.com

but not for: 

"b550" "vision" "displayport in" site:gigabyte.com

I would like to be able to just download a database of motherboards...

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

This AMD B550 is now available for $259.99 [Amazon link] [Newegg link]. A nice deal for on-board Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 on an AMD system. If I didn't have too many test builds already I would be all over this board.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Ended up buying this motherboard because production stopped. I took the I/O shield cap off and it seems the Titan Ridge TB3 controller (Intel JHL7540) is going to the CPU directly. There's also a PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot which I can use for testing eGPU through ADT-Link R43SG. The B550 chipset is forward compatible so it can work with Ryzen 6000 CPUs. I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600X for the time being.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I installed the system and it looks like JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 controller is through a PCI switch off the CPU. OS drive will be relocated to the secondary M.2 slot so that the primary x4 PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot (to CPU) can be used for an M.2 eGPU adapter.

ReplyQuote