Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard with Thunderbolt 3  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

This is the second motherboard for AMD CPU with Thunderbolt 3 built-in. It's very similar in I/O arrangement with the Z490 Vision D. In fact it uses the same Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller and DP-IN. Due to no certification, the product website describes these ports as USB-C with Titan Ridge! 😀 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10 - The section on USB-C with Titan Ridge even shows the Thunderbolt logo and 40Gb/s. A fun way to get around Intel's certification.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Only one DisplayPort input though. Good enough for a 4K display but not 5K or more.

The ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G has two DisplayPort inputs. Other motherboards with two DisplayPort inputs are X299. I can't find an AMD motherboard with two DisplayPort inputs. What was the motherboard that had one DisplayPort input on the back panel and another on the motherboard itself? I forget...

I think Google has a problem searching Gigabyte motherboards (like the page doesn't fully render when it's scanning for words) so only the title is known. For example, I can search for:

[Please login to see this]

but not for: 

[Please login to see this]

I would like to be able to just download a database of motherboards...

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

This AMD B550 is now available for $259.99 [Amazon link] [Newegg link]. A nice deal for on-board Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 on an AMD system. If I didn't have too many test builds already I would be all over this board.

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Ended up buying this motherboard because production stopped. I took the I/O shield cap off and it seems the Titan Ridge TB3 controller (Intel JHL7540) is going to the CPU directly. There's also a PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot which I can use for testing eGPU through ADT-Link R43SG. The B550 chipset is forward compatible so it can work with Ryzen 6000 CPUs. I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600X for the time being.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I installed the system and it looks like JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 controller is through a PCI switch off the CPU. OS drive will be relocated to the secondary M.2 slot so that the primary x4 PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot (to CPU) can be used for an M.2 eGPU adapter.

ReplyQuote
Wing Lam
(@wing_lam)

How did you get it to work? I just purchased this board and it doesn't detect my eGPU.

My Spec

Ryzen 3700X

Gigabyte B550 Vision D

Razer Core X with 1080TI and tried with a GTX690 as well.

Thanks,

Wing

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@wing_lam, Do you have Thunderbolt Control Center running? It's been a few months and I forgot whether Thunderbolt was an option in BIOS. If you see it in the BIOS, change the Security settings to No Security and see if there's a difference in Thunderbolt device detection.

ReplyQuote
Wing Lam
(@wing_lam)

Posted by: @itsage

@wing_lam, Do you have Thunderbolt Control Center running? It's been a few months and I forgot whether Thunderbolt was an option in BIOS. If you see it in the BIOS, change the Security settings to No Security and see if there's a difference in Thunderbolt device detection.

Yep, I see it in the BIOS, I tried both settings of No Security and Authenticate; Nothing happens. Under windows 10, the Mobo sees the razer core through the Thunderbolt Control Center and the status of it is Connected. Windows 10 doesn't find/see the GPU at all.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@wing_lam, Thunderbolt device detection and connection is good if you see the Razer Core X in Thunderbolt Control Center. Check the physical connection of the GTX 1080 Ti to the PCIe slot as well as PCIe power connectors.

ReplyQuote
Wing Lam
(@wing_lam)

Posted by: @itsage

@wing_lam, Thunderbolt device detection and connection is good if you see the Razer Core X in Thunderbolt Control Center. Check the physical connection of the GTX 1080 Ti to the PCIe slot as well as PCIe power connectors.

the mobo finally finds and detects the GPU. I installed the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia.com, and restarted. the GPU appeared in Device Manager with an error code 12. is it a BIOS setting related problem?

"this device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (code 12) if you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system"

This post was modified 5 months ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2