Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard with Thunderbolt 3

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard with Thunderbolt 3  

of  2
  RSS

timot.mo
(@timot-mo)

@wing_lam, Did you ever get this to work? I suppose you have too many PCIE slots populated.. I'm trying to figure out how many PCIE Slots you can use before you lose thunderbolt? The manual doesn't say. It just says to go to the BIOS settings.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@timot-mo, Yes it worked for me with a Gigabyte Gaming Box + RX Vega 56 Nano build. I meant to do a build with Thunderbolt 3 eGPU vs. PCIe 3.0 x16/x4 dGPU vs PCIe 4.0 x4 eGPU but have not got around to it.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

I'm definitely intrigued by this MOBO. I'm not really familiar with bandwidth between PCIE slots and whatnot, but do you think if I upgraded my current setup to this MOBO - that being a Ryzen 9 3950x CPU with a GTX 1080 and RTX 2070 Super GPUs - would I also have enough bandwidth to run one or more eGPUs on the Thunderbolt 3 slots? And does your built-in power supply- I've got an EVGA Supernova 850+ -have any impact on this?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@supaiku, Adding one Nvidia eGPU should be no problem when you have two dGPUs. Two or more eGPUs may cause error 12.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@itsage, thanks for the info. I was wondering due to what @timot.mo said above about there being too many PCIE slots in use causing issues with the Thunderbolt 3 working. I'd be worried about the two dGPUs both running at x16 or x8 using up too many PCIE slots (or is it lanes?) and not leaving enough for the TB3 controller. But it sounds like that wouldn't be an issue based on your response?

ReplyQuote
 of  2