Late 2018 Apple Mac mini  

RSS
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Mac mini is not dead after all. Apple today announced a refreshed Mac mini with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. A notable feature is 4x Thunderbolt 3 ports. Also nice to see is replaceable RAM modules. The Mac mini can be configured with a 6-core processor and 10GbE. The base price went up by 60% and is no longer considered entry level. Relatively to the iMac Pro though, you can get a fairly powerful headless-Mac + eGPU for a reasonable price.

• Intel 8th generation 65W CPU
  • IntelUHD Graphics 630
  • 4x Thunderbolt 3 Ports
  • 10Gb Ethernet (optional)
  • Starting at $799

I'm hoping eGFX vendors are building an enclosure with the same footprint so that you can stack the Mac mini right on top. There are 2 Titan Ridge controllers and 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 2:34 pm goalque and mac_editor liked
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Apple posted Mac mini's Tech Specs just now. The top-configuration 6-core CPU matches the specs of i7-8700 desktop CPU. The base model is i3-8100 quad-core CPU. The middle tier is i5-8500 6-core CPU.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 3:33 pm
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Trusted Member

so how many pcie lanes? 16?

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 3:34 pm
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@esatamacmodular Yes 16 PCIe lanes directly to CPU. Apple would likely split these lanes to one x8 and two x4 for the NVMe controller two Thunderbolt 3 controllers. The 10GbE and wireless card go through PCH.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 3:42 pm
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

It finally happened didn’t it. A great eGPU candidate. Was hoping to see a sneak peek at the Mac Pro too though. 

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 3:43 pm
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The most reasonable BTO would be starting with base model then add 6-core CPU and 10GbE. Leave the rest alone as the Apple tax remains high. This configuration costs $1,199.

• Intel 8th gen i7-8700 CPU
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630 iGPU
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 128GB NVMe SSD storage
  • 10 Gigabit Ethernet

The Mantiz Venus Space Gray is a nice pairing to provide both eGPU and additional storage via SATA port. Install an RX Vega 56 and you'll have a very capable Mac for right around $2,000.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 3:53 pm
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage The storage at that price though. Was hoping to see the lowest tier be 256GB.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 3:56 pm Eightarmedpet liked
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Sorry to spam.. I'm thinking...

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet using RJ-45 connector)

I'd love a 1TB SSD, and may regret not getting one (although I have externals) but cant justify the price hike.
Or maybe even the i5 as it will run cooler.
Lets see what some benchmarks say....

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 3:57 pm
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I wouldn't pay $200 per 256GB increment. Use the 128GB internal drive for boot volume. Storage and backup drive can be connected through USB-C portable drive and/or eGPU enclosure. Also worth to note is the default encryption with Apple T2 chip. It's a pain for data recovery should you ever need to.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 4:03 pm
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

Yessss..!! The ultimate candidate for an Egpu setup has arrived. 6 core i7 seems to be the intel i7-8700, put this and upgrade the ram as much as you want, then plug a gigabyte gaming box rx 580. Ta daahhh.. You'll have the most user accessible, small, portable and super enjoyable macOS setup probably. I really wonder if I should sell my current 27" iMac for this.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 4:12 pm
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

ya dont have plan of buying mac mini right now but I'm really interested performance of this on EGPU...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 4:34 pm
pracolas
(@pracolas)

Hi, 
does anyone have a though about the connection between TB3 and processor? I mean is it a direct link like in the 2018 MBP 15'' or with a common "bottleneck" like in the 2018 MBP 13'' ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 9:15 am
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
Posted by: theitsage

@esatamacmodular Yes 16 PCIe lanes directly to CPU. Apple would likely split these lanes to one x8 and two x4 for the NVMe controller two Thunderbolt 3 controllers. The 10GbE and wireless card go through PCH.

@theitsage, does this directly TB connection to cpu vs through PCH first effect the cpu temperature aka stressing it more? I see great graphics performance but lame cpu performance that I think due thermal throttle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 9:39 am
pracolas
(@pracolas)
Posted by: Joikansai
Posted by: theitsage

... 😉 ...ok,  got my glasses on now 😉

thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 10:02 am
boethius
(@boethius)

If the new Mac Mini will have 16 PCIe lanes, and the 4 TB3 ports will be full speed (2 controllers, each connected to 2 TB3 ports = 40gb/s shared by 2 TB3 ports per controller), if one has 2 5K displays and an eGPU, would that not be possible then?  And in the future, say this would mean even if there is support for [email protected] or [email protected] with compression, it would require 2 TB3 ports to drive it.. so the if you also have an eGPU and wish to run 1 8K monitor, you're going to have the same bandwidth limitation right? 

And this applies to the new 2018 MacBook Pro 15" with Vega 20?

Lastly, how is PCIe lane availability and allocation different on MacBooks with discrete graphics?  Don't they take up some lanes too?  Would that mean that the Mac Mini with no discrete graphics somehow ends up with some additional lanes compared to MacBooks with discrete graphics?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2018 6:11 pm