Mac Mini (2018) With egpu specifically core I7 cpu thermals

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini (2018) With egpu specifically core I7 cpu thermals  

RSS

Laxlad
(@laxlad)

Hello everyone,

I am looking into buying a Mac mini 2018 core i7.  While I am not specifically looking to use it for gaming at the moment I was just curious if anyone ran one with windows bootcamp and an eGPU. My main concern  how the thermals on the CPU (i7 6 core specifically) hold up before throttling if at all while gaming.

Thanks in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Audi Luce
(@audi_luce)

@laxlad, Hi!! So I purchased the 2018 Mac Mini with the new i7 6 core back in April. I have an Akito Node with a RX580 with it. I ABSOLUTELY love it!! There is one problem I came about on the first mini (yes, you read that correctly) I installed/uninstalled Bootcamp 4 times on it because I was having some issues. On the last uninstall it somehow deleted EVERYTHING!! Making my 1 month old mini a brick. I called Apple 4 times and they finally gave me a new one. I have had the new one for 2 weeks now, updated to the latest version of Catalina and have uninstalled bootcamp twice because the new Windows 2004 is not agreeing with the RX580. I found older versions of Windows 1903 and 1809 online and in the process of trying that out. I have gamed on the Windows side and even hooked up my Oculus Rift S and played Beat Saber with it. It runs beautifully and the temps are good!! The i7 mac mini is definitely a little power house and it totally surprised me of how much it can actual do. Hope this helped

This post was modified 2 months ago

2018 Mac Mini i7 32GB Ram
Akitio Node
RX580
1080TI
Windows 1809
Catalina (latest update)

Leovinus liked
ReplyQuote
pvonk
(@pvonk)

@audi_luce, I just got a new Mac mini (2020) with Akitio Node containing a RX580 .  Since I have an LG Ultrafine 5K monitor which takes only TB3, I have the mini connected to the Node via TB3 and the LG connected to mini also via TB3 (and not to the Node, since it has only one TB3 port).  The mini recognizes the Node (I've looked in Activity Monitor) but it shows no bars for graphics sent to the monitor.

What is your setup like (aside from the Windows bootcamp)?  I'd like to know if your monitor connects directly to the mini or to the Akitio.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Audi Luce
(@audi_luce)

@pvonk, I have a 55" 1080p LG TV and I connect it through the Display Port on the RX580 and have the Node connected through the TB3 to the Mini. On the Windows side I connect my Sony 4K TV through the HDMI on the 1080 TI and have the other Node connected via TB3 on the Mini. I finally got my BootCamp to work with the 1080 TI with Windows build 1809, but no luck with the RX580 yet. In order to get the full specs on the egpu the display needs to be connected to the card. The only thing is I have to switch between the Node and Mini when I start up on Windows side. On the Mac side it usually gives no problems. 

2018 Mac Mini i7 32GB Ram
Akitio Node
RX580
1080TI
Windows 1809
Catalina (latest update)

ReplyQuote
pvonk
(@pvonk)

Well, thanks to someone on another thread, I solved my problem.  I use Pathfinder instead of Finder, and when I invoke Get Info on a particular app file, I don't get the the checkbox  for using the egpu for the app.  Turns out the Finder's Get info is a little different and doesn't include that checkbox.  So I used Finder and I managed to set that checkbox for Adobe Lightroom, and when viewing the GPU activity monitor, it shows the eGPU chugging along.  All's well now.

ReplyQuote