[Teardown] Late 2020 Mac mini: Apple Silicon M1, Thunderbolt 4, USB4, PCIe 4.0

Notifications
Clear all

[Teardown] Late 2020 Mac mini: Apple Silicon M1, Thunderbolt 4, USB4, PCIe 4.0  

of  6
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt, Right, the only difference is the USB-C host compatible Titan Ridge controller in the 2nd generation.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

One thing interesting about the M1 Macs is that the ioreg shows two Thunderbolt controllers that each have two AppleThunderboltDPInAdapter which means you could connect four displays total, two displays per port (if the GPU had four DisplayPort outputs).

The ioreg also shows a new adapter type AppleThunderboltUSBDownAdapter which is for USB4 tunnelling of USB 3.2.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ikir and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt, You could be onto something here. Magically using the TB3 to Dual DP adapter with a dual DP 5K monitor like LG UltraFine and HP Z27q works in full resolution. I tested this same adapter with two separate single DP monitors before and only one monitor came on. When I tried a TB3 cable to Samsung 34-in monitor and a USB-C to DP cable to LG 4K monitor, only one monitor came on.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, to be sure, does the HP Z27q have an onscreen menu that shows 5120x2880 resolution? My Dell UP2715K shows the input resolution in its onscreen menu.

What is the behaviour when only the first DisplayPort of the HP Z27q is connected? Is the result 4K? Can you notice a difference between real 5K and fake 5K (which is 5K framebuffer scaled to 4K output by the GPU then scaled up to 5K by the display)?

Can you dump ioreg -filw0 with real 5K (two DisplayPort) and again with fake 5K (one DisplayPort)?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt, Yes the monitor info box shows [5120 x 2880 60Hz]. I was posting the ioreg -filw0 dump but the output must have had too many characters so the post was not able to load. My HP Z27q monitor is not in the best shape. It actually works more consistently with dual DP than single DP. It has a hard time detecting input signal when there's only one DP cable connected.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, yes, ioreg output is huge, so zipping it is usually a requirement. Thanks for the picture of the onscreen menu - it definitely proves that it is using 5120x2880 input.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt, Can you expound on how Apple made this work? 

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, I am guessing the Thunderbolt controller does have two DisplayPort connections to the GPU like any Mac Thunderbolt controller does. The M1 Mac will use them for one display only - either a tiled display like the LG UltraFine 5K or HP Z27q or Dell UP2715K or a non-tiled single display like a 4K display or a 6K display with DSC.

It seems that while the M1 can produce two DisplayPort outputs from Thunderbolt, it cannot treat them as a separate display. It's like with the Nvidia Titan X (Maxwell) card I have - you can connect 4 displays, and the last one can be a 5K tiled display which means 5 connections will be used which is not normally possible (you cannot connect 5 displays).

There seems to be a mux that allows moving the two DisplayPort signals between the two controllers/ports. I wonder if the mux can put one signal out one port and another signal out the other port for your HP Z27q?

#2,055 

The ioreg has info on the two displays: timings, and color formats/encodings, Thunderbolt DP In and Out adapters, Crossbar (I assume that's the mux), etc. It shows what the current timing info is. I haven't found how to get pixel clock yet, or pixel output format/encoding.

Have you tested for accelerometer/gyro/compass functionality using an iOS app? They are mentioned in the ioreg but I don't know if they are usable.

Have you tested Thunderbolt dual port RAID? - Is it limited like the two ports of a discreet Thunderbolt controller (~23 Gbps) or unlimited like two ports of separate discreet controllers or two ports of an Ice Lake controller (~40 Gbps).

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

Intel TB and TI usb chips? Wait, didn’t they say that the tb and usb io was integrated into the M1 during their keynote?

2018 i7 Mac Mini | Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 | XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
Weslay Xu
(@weslay_xu)

Posted by: @itsage

@joevt, You could be onto something here. Magically using the TB3 to Dual DP adapter with a dual DP 5K monitor like LG UltraFine and HP Z27q works in full resolution. I tested this same adapter with two separate single DP monitors before and only one monitor came on. When I tried a TB3 cable to Samsung 34-in monitor and a USB-C to DP cable to LG 4K monitor, only one monitor came on.

Hi there! What TB3 to dual dp adapter are you using? I am using the mono price one which works on old Mac but not on the new m1 Mac. Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  6