[Teardown] Late 2020 Mac mini: Apple Silicon M1, Thunderbolt 4, USB4, PCIe 4.0

Notifications
Clear all

[Teardown] Late 2020 Mac mini: Apple Silicon M1, Thunderbolt 4, USB4, PCIe 4.0  

of  6
  RSS

High Sir
(@high-sir)

When connecting the M1 Mini to the XDR 6K 60Hz display, would the usb-c hub

- run at usb 2.0 speed like on non-Navi macs

- run at usb 3.0 speed like on Navi macs

are we 100% sure M1 macs have DP 1.4 with DSC?

A modern DSC-based 4K 144Hz monitor like the LG 27GN950 would work without resorting to chroma subsampling, right?

This is proof that it works in the first place (posted on reddit from a guy with an M1 mac):

This post was modified 1 week ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@high-sir, I'm pretty sure it's DSC

Need someone to test the USB port for 400 MB/s file I/O to be sure it's getting 5 Gbps.

Not 100% clear about HBR3 or HBR3 + DSC yet. Need someone to test 8 bpc modes that require that bandwidth (I say 8 bpc because 10bpc modes could transmit as 8bpc to meet the bandwidth restriction - macOS doesn't use 6bpc modes).

For 1920x1080, you need to go higher than 240 Hz to get beyond HBR2 for 10bpc. HBR3 can do something like 360 Hz for 8 bpc.

This post was modified 1 week ago

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@weslay_xu, It's a CHOETECH TB3 to dual DP adapter but I think many brands share the same manufacturer. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Joey Roman
(@joey_roman)

So all that is missing to use an eGPU are drivers?

I am able to play non AAA games just fine on the MacBook Pro M1.  But it cannot even remotely handle my 38" monitor.  Would be in heaven if I could connect an eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@joey_roman

Yep, Mac OS (Radeon) GPU drivers for ARM M1 models are the missing link.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @joey_roman

I am able to play non AAA games just fine on the MacBook Pro M1.  But it cannot even remotely handle my 38" monitor.  Would be in heaven if I could connect an eGPU.

I have it connected to a 49 inch 4K display and the interface speed is better than the 5700 XT, especially video playback. Rendering in Media Encoder is another story, but not too bad.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

Interestingly enough there’s some kind of bug on Big Sur with non M1 Macs regarding DSC...it seems that it’s not working at all anymore. Not sure if it’s related, just thought I would mention it! Monitors that use DSC to achieve high refresh rates without chroma subsampling are rate limited on Big Sur, it’s affecting all brands too (ASUS, Lg, etc).

2018 i7 Mac Mini | Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 | XFX 5700 XT 8GB

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @mini-i5

@joey_roman

Yep, Mac OS (Radeon) GPU drivers for ARM M1 models are the missing link.

Won't happen until they have an M1 Mac with a Radeon GPU, if ever, but fingers crossed they support people who have an eGPU.

There might be some difficulty making a discrete or external GPU work with the unified memory architecture because they have to make sure the video signals, decoding, 3D models and textures are sent to the video card's memory without causing conflicts with the taks UMA does.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

ikir and Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Moeinreza Motallebi
 Moeinreza Motallebi
(@Moeinreza Motallebi)

Hi,
I have Mac mini 2018 8th i7 64GB, I want buy a Blackmagic magic EGPU and also i'm working with FCX and Davinci resolve. Is it good or not?

ReplyQuote
Joey Roman
(@joey_roman)

Posted by: @craftsman
Posted by: @joey_roman

I have it connected to a 49 inch 4K display and the interface speed is better than the 5700 XT, especially video playback. Rendering in Media Encoder is another story, but not too bad.

Oh, I just meant gaming on my 38” is a no go lol. Everything else works fine. If I want to play games I just use the native Mac screen and 1650x1050 resolution. 

craftsman liked
ReplyQuote
 of  6