General Discussions
Thunderbolt 3 with threadripper on a Asrock x399 fatality motherboard. Help need...

Thunderbolt 3 with threadripper on a Asrock x399 fatality motherboard. Help needed.  

RSS

Peter917
(@peter917)

I have been doing research and decided to buy the titan ridge thunderbolt card. I installed it in my slot 4 as instructed and connected the pci connectors to the psu and the usb to a open usb header on the MB. My MB does not have the thb_c header and I read I do not even need that as long as I have my thunderbolt 3 device attached before booting. 

When I boot my 16tb OWC Raid bay light turns blue to show its connected but not showing up as a device, same as before I had this card installed. I downloaded the thunderbolt 3 software and installed the gigabyte driver disk that came with it and updated my bios. The thunderbolt does not show up under tools in my bios either. I am stumped and not sure what to do and it is driving me crazy.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

What does Intel Thunderbolt Software show when you have a device connected at boot? If you didn’t jump pin-3 and 5, you may have to restart the computer for Thunderbolt device to be properly detected.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Peter917
(@peter917)

Nothing shows connected at boot. The light on my bay goes from orange to blue on boot so I know its "connected" but when windows comes up and I log in it just shows up as "thunderbay 4" under my eject list but not in thunderbolt software and the drive is no accessible. It essentially does the same thing it did before I got the titan reader minus the error message of "this thunderbolt device may have limited connection"

I also do not know how to jump pins or what that means

This post was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Keep in mind using an AMD board is definitely not a supported Thunderbolt configuration. It’s not a certainty the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 AIC would work with your particular motherboard. I had success adding this AIC to an ASRock X399M Taichi and the details are in this thread. You can see how pin 3 and 5 can be jumped in this post

ReplyQuote
Peter917
(@peter917)

What cable is that you have plugged in?(the red one)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Instead of jumping the pins directly on the AIC, I shorted out the corresponding pins on the THB-C header cable connector. The red piece is a wire I used to connect pin 3 and 5 together. Here’s a closeup photo of that short red wire. I don’t use Power Delivery or USB 2 so those three other plugs are left vacant.

ReplyQuote
rebilak
(@rebilak)

Hi, This thread as been most useful, just installed titan ridge on an asus x399-e, the Thunderbolt 3 is working great, however my nvidia cards have an issue. They are installed and are showing in device manager as working properly, but when I try and modify my monitor resolution nvidia control panel says monitor not connected to a nvidia gpu??? can anyone help please,
Reb

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @rebilak

Hi, This thread as been most useful, just installed titan ridge on an asus x399-e, the Thunderbolt 3 is working great, however my nvidia cards have an issue. They are installed and are showing in device manager as working properly, but when I try and modify my monitor resolution nvidia control panel says monitor not connected to a nvidia gpu??? can anyone help please,
Reb

What monitor is it? Is the monitor connected to the Titan Ridge card's Thunderbolt port? Is the Titan Ridge card's DisplayPort inputs connected to the Nvidia card's DisplayPort outputs?

ReplyQuote
rebilak
(@rebilak)

Hi, The monitor is a Benq 32” and is connected to one of the Nvidia cards via DP. There is no connection from the Titan Ridge to the Nvidia.

ReplyQuote