Clear all

Late 2018 Mac mini Teardown  

of  3
  RSS

jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
Trusted Member

Posted by: jangoloti

What is the metallic shield over the RAM for? To avoid EMI?

I have a reply to my question. From iFixit:
"Actually though, we've seen this in iMacs of yore. The shield allows the RAM to operate at high frequency (2666 MHz) with no chance of accidentally interfering with other functions."
So it is a shield for EMI interference.

Mac Mini 2012 and 2018 i7, Mac book Pro 2016 15" with TB, eGPU Galax/KFA2

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@danhc HWiNFO shows the PCI Express x16 Controller - 1901 as unoccupied in the 2018 Mac mini with no 10GbE. The 1G Ethernet port attaches to the PCH which shares bandwidth with NVMe SSD, wireless card, and other peripherals. My guess is the 1901 controller would be occupied on a 10GbE Mac mini. This controller is the same attachment point for Radeon dGPU on the TB3 15 MacBook Pro.

@eightarmedpet Keep in mind all my testings so far with the 2018 Mac mini involved no workarounds available in our community. I'm confident @goalque's eGPU EFI Boot Manager can activate the iGPU to allow LG 5K UltraFine connection. I will have more time this weekend to test more configurations.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

@danhc HWiNFO shows the PCI Express x16 Controller - 1901 as unoccupied in the 2018 Mac mini with no 10GbE. The 1G Ethernet port attaches to the PCH which shares bandwidth with NVMe SSD, wireless card, and other peripherals. My guess is the 1901 controller would be occupied on a 10GbE Mac mini. This controller is the same attachment point for Radeon dGPU on the TB3 15 MacBook Pro.

@eightarmedpet Keep in mind all my testings so far with the 2018 Mac mini involved no workarounds available in our community. I'm confident @goalque's eGPU EFI Boot Manager can activate the iGPU to allow LG 5K UltraFine connection. I will have more time this weekend to test more configurations.

@itsage That’s a great answer to my 10G Ethernet question, thanks. Hours ago I’ve ordered a i7 version without 10G Ethernet in fear or having trouble.

However, minutes ago I read your another reply with a user that encountered the first error 12.... which I am very scared now. He owns a i7 machine.

https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/2018-mac-mini-for-egpu/paged/4/#post-47149

Reading your advice to him, I am guessing that his setup didn’t work likely due to him using his iGPU and his eGPU all together with an monitor connecting to iGPU, and that iGPU uses some resources too, making insufficient resources for the eGPU.

I believe the above was the cause of error 12 instead of caused by an i7 instead of i5. My assumption is that his iGPU must be working, or else he won’t get a monitor running showing him error 12.....

If in his case, activation of iGPU which caused error 12, would @goalque’s EFI boot activation of iGPU poses a threat of error 12 for keeping iGPU alive? So far in your success and success of others, iGPU is deactivated, and the only failure is on his.... where iGPU is activated. I wonder what your @itsage thought would be?

In Hong Kong once an order is placed we can’t cancel it or return the machine....

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage cheers as ever, yeah I have high hopes for the EFI boot loader working, worked so far for my MacBook although the Vega card I bought didnt fit in the Core so I'm back to my 1070!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@danhc Similar to my response regarding the use of an LG UltraFine monitor, there are ways to keep the iGPU activated and running alongside an AMD eGPU in Boot Camp. So far I have not used any workaround we have at our disposal. Having multiple eGPU success reports this early with the Mac mini is a very good sign. I believe you won't encounter much trouble with your BTO Mac mini. We're here if you need help. It's always fun to have some challenges with new setups.

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
Trusted Member

Just ordered a BTO Mac Mini i7 with 512 GB SSD, 16 GB DDDR5, and the 10 Gb Ethernet option. I will test it with my Galax/KFA2 eGPU in a couple of weeks.

Mac Mini 2012 and 2018 i7, Mac book Pro 2016 15" with TB, eGPU Galax/KFA2

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jetfixmini
(@jetfixmini)

@itsage

Hello

i liked your teardown Mac mini 2018 tuts and also I have some questions regarding the heatsink and pipes to get rid of the heating issue.

1- can the radiator be away from the heat pipes? I mean take away the radiator leaving the heat pipes alone.

i want to put on the end of the heat pipes (where the radiator is) a NOCTUA "c" shaped heatsink. I know it sounds crazy but I want to solve this issue and have my Mac mini for longer lifespan. I also want to put all the parts into a MODDED enclosure for better airflow forgetting the aesthetics parts.

thank you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jetfixmini, They are one piece unfortunately. You may have to fabricate a custom heatsink and fins assembly. 

ReplyQuote
 of  3