[Unboxing] Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Creator LGA 1200 Titan Ridge TB3 Motherboard

Notifications
Clear all

[Unboxing] Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Creator LGA 1200 Titan Ridge TB3 Motherboard  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Intel 400 series chipset motherboards are set to launch soon. There are only a handful of them with on-board Thunderbolt 3 controller. Of those I could only find one with DisplayPort IN to produce Thunderbolt 3 monitor output. Gigabyte continues its Designare lineage with the Z490 Vision D motherboard.

I was fortunate to receive a media sample. I plan on getting a 10th gen i9 to test this motherboard. Here are some unboxing photos.

Accessories include SATA cables, extension thermal sensor cables, quick front panel adapter, RGB cable, and wireless antenna. Most USB ports in the rear I/O are USB 3.1 gen 2. I like the labeling of USB 3.2 to keep things short and to the point. We see the two USB-C Thunderbolt 3, and DP IN.

4x DDR4 memory slots that support dual channel and Socket 1200 for Intel 10th gen Desktop CPU. I removed the heatsink and rear shield to identify the Thunderbolt 3 controller. It is JHL7540 Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller.

The heatsinks for MOSFET cooling and M.2 drives are very hefty. PCIe slots and M.2 NVMe slots are capable of PCIe 4.0 but support would depend on the processor installed.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

USB3.2 does not indicate bandwidth which could be any of the following:

a) USB 1.1/USB 2.0 (1.1, 12, 480 Mbps)
b) USB 3.0, USB 3.1 gen 1, USB 3.2 gen 1x1 (5 Gbps)
c) USB 3.1 gen 2, USB 3.2 gen 2x1 (10 Gbps)
d) USB 3.2 gen 2x2 (20 Gbps)

(a)+(b) are probably a given. The tech specs says the two red ports are (c) and the four other USB3.2 ports (blue and orange) are (b). The two black ports are (a). Thunderbolt ports support (c).

The desktop 10th gen CPUs (Comet Lake) have older (DisplayPort 1.2) Intel graphics compared to mobile 10th gen CPUs (Ice Lake) (DisplayPort 1.4).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Pictus Invictus
(@pictus_invictus)

@itsage

At https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/15784-z390-or-z490-anyone-have-a-10th-gen-intel-proc-yet/&tab=comments#comment-133064
Jim Roseberry mention that there is a hidden small fan under the heatsink of the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, did you find any?
And under the chipset heatsink?

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ingmar
(@ingmar)

I have one of these - been trying to get my aourus 1080 gaming box working with it - no luck so far. It finds the gaming box with or without error - if it runs without error there is something not quite right and will have an error the next time I start it. 

There are like a million settings in the BIOS most of them are documented but the Thunderbolt 3 settings are not. I assum Force Pwr would destroy my gaming box but not sure. Then there's L1 and L2 something and nowhere do I seem to find any explanation of what any of this means.

I'm running windows 10 on this machine - but thinking of switching to ubuntu or similar to see if that works any better. 

All tips, hints, comments or replies of any kind greatly appreciated.

all the best,

GS

aourus gaming box with a) mac mini 2014 (High Sierra) and/or hopefully b) windows/linux Visions D z490 motherboard PC

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pictus_invictus, I didn't notice any fan noise from the SB area. Given the size of Designare cover, I highly question the use  of a small fan here.

@ingmar I would recommend change Thunderbolt Security settings to SL0 [No Security] then boot into Windows with the eGPU connected. Depending on the dGPU you're using in this system, driver compatibility could be an issue.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Ingmar liked
ReplyQuote
Ingmar
(@ingmar)

Dear @itsage

Thanks a lot for your reply.

But - I have  the same issue. Should I disconnect the other screen? I use DDU to uninstall the drivers and re-install. I get a code 43 or code 12 for the gaming box as a reason why windows blocks it. Then I uninstall and re-install, then it seems to be working but not really until I reboot it's gone to error code 43 or error code 12 again

also do you think I should I disable the dGPU?

What about (I know this is excessive but there are a lot of options for thunderbolt that I find no documentation of:

Discrete Thunderbolt Boot Support

Thunderbolt Boot support. (boot once?)

Wake from Thunderbolt devices

what about (enable or disable)

GPIO filter

ASPM

LTR

PTM

TBT ASPM

then (numbers)

reserved memory

reserved pmemory

reserved I/O

Thanks for taking the time so far

all the best,

Ingmar

aourus gaming box with a) mac mini 2014 (High Sierra) and/or hopefully b) windows/linux Visions D z490 motherboard PC

ReplyQuote
Ingmar
(@ingmar)

@itsage, The dGPU driver is just onboard Intel IGFX. I can enable it or disable in the bios. I've tried different drivers for both the intel and the NVIDIA. Do you mean look at different NVIDIA drivers?

all the best,

Ingmar

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ingmar, I don't recall changing settings within the Thunderbolt section of BIOS. Which OS build version of Windows 10 are you running?

ReplyQuote
Ingmar
(@ingmar)

@itsage, Ah, I have the most recent one, I see now - people are having error 12 issues with 1903 and newer - will try downgrading.

Thanks a lot!

But tell me one thing, you mentioned the Display port IN. Would you use that with the eGPU. I'm currently running a monitor out from the eGPU. Is there another option on a desktop like this?

all the best,

Ingmar

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ingmar, You would only use the DisplayPort IN to produce Thunderbolt 3 monitor output from an installed dGPU. I have not tested TB3 monitor output from an eGPU to DP IN port. I'm not sure it would work.

ReplyQuote
 of  2