Setup & Software Discussions
NEED HELP accelerating internal display with AMD card

NEED HELP accelerating internal display with AMD card  

RSS

Pavel Topouzidis
(@pavel_topouzidis)

Hello.

I've succesfully connected my RX 560 4GB to my Lenovo T430 without any hassle.
Simply installed the drivers, and the GPU is visible in the Display adapters section in Device manager without any errors.

The GPU is definitely not faulty: it works when I connect an external display, but my goal is to use it on my laptop's internal display.
The EXP GDC is definitely not faulty: NVIDIA 1063 and 1066 are working with both internal and external displays (need to enable Intel HD4000 though, otherwise it's a no-go, contrary to other build guides).

But I can't get to use the GPU with internal display. The games are using the iGPU, and even if I disable the iGPU, it doesn't help.

So, is there a way to use AMD GPU's with EXP GDC on internal display?

MBA'15 + Aorus Gaming Box + RX 560 => Success
MBA'15 + Aorus Gaming Box + 1060 => Success (with a lot of struggle)
T430 + EXP GDC 8.5 + 1060 => Success
T430 + EXP GDC 8.5 + RX 560 => Semi-success

ReplyQuote
Benjamin Benson
(@benjamin_benson)

I assume we are talking about Windows 10? I had to uninstall the internal graphics card (for me its called Basic Display Adapter). I can extend the desktop to both internal and external and can can e.g. FurMark on both display using my eGPU (AMD Vega 56)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB + 8GB Asus Radeon RX Vega 56 ROG Strix OC + Sonnet Breakaway Box 550

ReplyQuote
Pavel Topouzidis
(@pavel_topouzidis)

Yeah, Win10.
But you're using two displays, ext. and int., and I want to use only the internal one.

MBA'15 + Aorus Gaming Box + RX 560 => Success
MBA'15 + Aorus Gaming Box + 1060 => Success (with a lot of struggle)
T430 + EXP GDC 8.5 + 1060 => Success
T430 + EXP GDC 8.5 + RX 560 => Semi-success

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@pavel_topouzidis In Windows 1803 or later, you can assign apps GPUs in Windows GPU preferences.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
Usisseven
(@usisseven)

I am having the same issue here, any update?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jhonathanldp
(@jhonathanldp)

For those who wondering how to accelerate you apps or games with internal display on windows 10 1803 and later.

You have to manualy choose which app should use or not the external graphic card.
To do that you must go to Settings->System->Display and go to "Advanced graphics settings", in that page just select the .exe of your game or app and them select "High performance". But keep in mind of the performance loss using internal display.

Capturar
This post was modified 7 months ago

2013 Acer V3-571 + RX 470@4Gbps-mPCIe2 + EGPU GDC 8.5c + Windows 10

ReplyQuote
Matt Starrs
(@matt_starrs)

Hi my setup is a lenovo y500 with 3 gt 650m sli i7 quad core and egpu is rx 580 using the gcd exp beast v8.5 dock and i am having pretty much the same issue. Im not using an external monitor i have a headless adaptor plugged in to the rx 580 and windows 10 recognizes it but it seems like when running games it still wants to use the dgpus not the egpu. I know this because if i disable the dgpus then the game will not play or it will play and there will be all sorts of textures missing like people and and environment. Even if i do like you said and select the exe.file and select high performance it shows the rx580 actually on high and on low power but still will not use the rx580 on the internal display im not sure what to do. I thought it was working once it seemed like the game was accelerated and opening task manager it showed the rx 580 usage at 100% even on the lowest settings which confused me because the egpu shouldnt be working harder than the dgpu and preforming worse so i disabled the dgpu and the game crashed and when i booted it up again same thing i couldnt see textures and such so please help.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote