{2013 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T540P} [4th,4C,Q] + {RX 570} @ {1000 Mbps-RJ45} ({LAN}...

Notifications
Clear all

{2013 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T540P} [4th,4C,Q] + {RX 570} @ {1000 Mbps-RJ45} ({LAN} + {Win10 1909} // [Maximiano14]  

RSS

maximiano14
(@maximiano14)

System specs

Laptop (Keyboard/Mouse/Screen)

Lenovo T540p ThinkPad 15” Screen

CPU: Intel I7-4700MQ

iGPU: Intel HD 4600

RAM: 8GB

SSD: 256GB Kingston

HDD: 500GB Seagate (Caddy)

eGPU hardware

External Processing Unit (Full-PC)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: RX 570 4GB Sapphire pulse ITX

RAM: 8GB 2666 MHz CL15

MOBO: AsRock Fatal1ty B450 ITX

PSU: SilverStone SST-FX350-G

NVME: 256 GB ADATA

HDD: 1TB Seagate 2.5"

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a AM4

Case: Velkase Velka 3

-- attachment is not available --

Note:  I was using the wireless antenna for the streaming. Which is not as efficient, and the quality will keep dropping.

This is my full setup including the handbag for the hardware transport, the lap goes in my backpack.

Installation steps

Requirements

1x RJ45 cable

SpaceDesk Driver (Host)

SpaceDesk Client (Client)

Steam (Host & Client)

Connectify (Host & Optional)

Note: Mind that your Host is the Desktop and Client is the Laptop

Procedure

The procedure is pretty much intuitive, if you can setup a home network between 2 computers than you job is basically done.

1. In the first stage it will be necessary to configurate the Host, this can be done with just the mouse (you can avoid buying a keyboard), since the windows have a digital keyboard, but an external Screen will be necessary;
  2. In host Settings » Network & Internet » Network Reset and the PC will restart in 5 min. (be aware that you are resetting the network configs, so you basically have to set the IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) to obtain IP address automatically);
  3. Install SpaceDesk Driver, Steam;
  4. Configure Remote Play, Steam » Log in (first time) » Settings » Remote Play » Enable Remote Play;
  5. In Client install SpaceDesk Client, Steam;
  6. Connect both the host and the Client and the host with the RJ45;
  7. In Client open SpaceDesk Client and Steam;
  8. Log into your account and go to Settings » Remote Play » Enable Remote Play » Pair Devices, after your device as been detected you can disconnect the internet and connect the RJ45 cable between both PCs;
  9. A message will pop up on the corner of your screen telling that is now possible to stream using remote play;
  10. For better experience I recommend you connect the internet in you host and disable the internet in your client or vice-versa (to avoid an internet Streaming which is significantly slower than the enternet connection);
  11. To Stream go to a game and select the machine you wish to launch the game on.

Note: I will not include a way to connect the PCs using wireless because of the unreliable quality and complications of a wireless setup, but basically you need to do is simulate a router using one of your PCs, I would recommend you enclosure and connect your lap to the enclosure by using Connectify.

Note:  This shot was taken while in streaming as you can see the double windows task bar, which can be set to full screen, I think is kinda of unnecessary since I am running the GPU in a full PC.

Comments

The enclosure is very versatile, I can transport it to my college dorm where I stay most of the week, there I use it mostly to play triple A games, or games that I can’t run on my laptop. It is a good storage solution is where I store most of my series and movies since the PC is used mostly for work.

The quality of the games are bottlenecked by the framerate cap of my laptop which is 60 to 50 fps but that is not big of a deal since it holds 60 to 50 fps in most of the titles that I play and actually the screen quality affects the quality of the games in general, not much since my laptop have only 720p, to not steal much bandwidth from the steam program I tend to reduce the quality which the Spacedesk run.

The setup is pretty simple, and I can connect PCs while they are on and disconnect them whenever I want, the only major problem that I found is the Spacedesk not starting in my enclosure PC for reasons of another program or process taking priority over Spacedesk launch, for that I need to connect the enclosure to an external monitor, but that is a really rare case unless you got a poor optimized and messy system on your PC.

Overall the system is somehow a little bit heavy but really compact, I bought a handbag to fit all the mobile gear.

Pros

Since I use an RJ45 cable the compatibility is very wide with most of the laptop having an Enternet port or it can be added using a USB adapter;

The upgradability of the enclosure is easy since the number of components for an ITX build is high and mostly easy to find.

The price depends on the components you want to add to the enclosure. I didn’t go all fancy in my build, and I got around 700€ only for the enclosure seeing other sophisticated methods like the razer core mine comes at a really good price.

The game compatibility just depends on if you can run the game on steam or not, I do believe there is other streaming solutions such as Spacedesk itself which does not have sound support, but the devs said that will be adding this year, but I have never tried to use it for gaming only just to simulate a screen.

The mobility is rather good, and I can deploy all the gear for use in less than 3 minutes and begin gaming, the handbag makes easy to carry around.

You can use the Audio or other input ports of your Enclosure just to reduce the amount data streamed to your laptop.

All of the Programs used can be acquired for free.

Cons

The gear is a bit heavy and I would not recommend walking around with the gear, I didn’t weight it all, but I would give by head some 4 to 5 kg just for the enclosure.

The problem with a messy Windows, and to remind that you can’t be changing configs of the system specially on the go or you will have yourself searching for an external screen since you cannot access your system enclosure. You can find a way around this by installing another screen streaming services, but I wouldn’t recommend at all.

This topic was modified 7 months ago

2013 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T540P (4th,4C,Q) + RX 570 @ 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN (RJ45) + Win10 1909 (Maximiano14)

ReplyQuote